1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ecopia 422 plus???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Ianmeister, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Ianmeister

Ianmeister Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hello all!
    I think it's time for new tires. They are not bald yet, but they are worn, and not evenly. Plus we're moving cross country. I've got my eye on the Ecopia 422 plus. So I've looked at the threads for tires, and the concensus seems to like these tires. Is it still the same feeling here in 2020?

2. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Had mine on my 2912 Prius v for two years. Absolutely no issues. Better than the OEM Michelins that rotted out at the sidewalls.

I'm sold on them.

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Had on Gen3 as a replacement for OEM Ecopia EP20. The problem is that they have at least three different iterations of the same model name Ecopia EP422Plus, but they have different specs and at least two different tread patterns. They can be made in US, Mexico or Japan. If you are buying a set from the same tire place, it should not be a problem, but if you order separately, make sure they are all matching tires. Ones sold in the US (none OEM version) comes with 70K miles tread warranty, but it lasted less than 45k on my Gen3 then onto HCH afterwords. Great mpg, reasonably comfortable when new, but can get loud after a few years. It is not a good tire if you plan to drive on snow. I had them for the first two seasons and convinced me to buy dedicated snow tires after that.

I now have OEM made in Japan version of Ecopia EP422Plus on my 2020 PRIME. As before, they are very good on mpg, reasonably comfortable when new. Not the quietest tires and I plan to switch to dedicated snow at the first sign of winter. I don't expect the tread to last over 40K but will see. If I have to purchase a new set, it is not the top of my choice especially at the current price point of ~$100/tire, but that will be at least a few more years later.

#3 Salamander_King, Aug 12, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What tire pressure do you run on your Gen 3, if you don't mind me asking?

5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I initially had H speed rated made in Mexico version. This has 51 psi max rating, and I tried them with 46psi to see if I can improve mpg. I had it at that psi for maybe 3-4 months, but in the end, I did not notice much improvement in mpg. So, for the rest, I kept them around 38-40 psi on Gen3. I now keep the OEM Ecopia422 Plus at 38/38 on my PRIME which is only a few psi higher than the factory recommended 36/35.

upload_2020-8-13_7-57-36.png

6. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've had mine for a couple of years now, zero issues. I run 42 front/40 rear. Since we are in the snow belt we only run these the first to last measurable snow fall each year. I have gotten what I believe to be exceptional mileage with these tires mid 40's to better than 50 mpg at times, not calced off the car's computer yet at the pump and a calculator. Bottom line I would buy them again.

7. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I think I followed the advice of someone on here and bought General RT43. Best "low-=priced" tire I ever purchased. GOOD snow traction. Really amazed at that. And the price is RIGHT.

I would say -- and in 12 years I have had a few tires on the Prius -- for price/performance, they are the best.