1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ECU replacement, from junkyard- hopeful fix (?)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by liveasudream, May 26, 2021.

Tags:
  1. liveasudream

liveasudream New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was car camping in Northern California for a few days and got my car stuck in the mud. I got it out relatively easily but did fling mud EVERYWHERE in the process. About 300 miles later, when I got home I sprayed the mud off the outside of car & went on with my life. I took it to a carwash to thoroughly clean out the mud- from inside engine & undercarriage a few weeks later at which point I sprayed inside the engine with the power-sprayer. A couple of days later the red triangle (!) appeared and the car will come on but not move or go into gear. :(*I sprayed too much)

The code reader gave me P0A1D: hybrid powertrain control module.
    My neighborhood mechanic said he hadn't worked on electric vehicles before but told me to get an ecu from a prius at the junkyard, which I will do.
    There is only one good video on YouTube of the ecu removal and it looks extremely complicated to me (a somewhat mechanically uninclined gal) but Im going to give it a try.
    Any advice?

ydpplqbd likes this.
  2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

Make this easier on yourself by locating an OBD2 scanner that is hybrid compatible and will offer the associated INF (aka subcode or detail code). Some handheld OBD2 scanners may offer INFs, or you will need to buy a mini-vci cable (20usd) and install techstream (the same software the dealership technicians use for diagnostics and repair) on a windows device or you can also emulate such.

That DTC P0A1D has quite a few related subcodes (INFs), knowing the associated INF for a that DTC may help in diagnosing or repairing the issue, which might save you a bunch of time, money and anguish.

Here is a directory showing the number of INFs for that DTC P0A1D : share.qclt.com - /丰田普瑞斯原厂英文手册pdf格式/repair manual/04pruisr/05/21bpm/

ydpplqbd likes this.
  3. liveasudream

liveasudream New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    UPDATE: It's fixed! We got an ecu off a 2006 from the junkyard for $40 and installed it following the YouTube video & she's running w/out problems once again :)

SFO likes this.