1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ecu replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by michael corp, Mar 1, 2021.

1. michael corp

michael corp New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all im looking to replace my ecu as i have an issue with lost codes do i have bought a complete set of ecu i am having trouble finding the last one it is labelled P and the part number on it is 89784-47010 im told it is the immobiliser module .Can any one help with its location in the car please.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's lots of ECUs in a Prius... I"m thinking you're talking about the Hybrid Battery ECU, which can get corroded in a specific spot and needs cleaning not replacing. Not sure though?

What are your symptoms, error codes, etc.?

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Show me somebody who can afford to buy a complete set of the two dozen ECUs in a Gen 3 Prius as a way of solving a problem, and I'll show you somebody whose time must be too valuable for mere-mortal methods of problem solving.

4. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I’m assuming “pe197bd” in your profile is actually PE19 7BD, that is, a place in Cambridgeshire, England, and that you’re interested in the right-hand drive version of the car.

European editions of the Repair Manual (more info) and Electrical Wiring Diagram don’t show the location of the ID code box (immobiliser code ECU). Instead, they say to “Refer to the Service Bulletin for the installation position of the parts,” but that bulletin, assuming it exists, doesn’t seem to be available to the public.

The same ECU with mounting bracket is used in all markets, and the U.S. edition of the Repair Manual explains that it’s is bolted to the rear (vehicle front) of the air conditioning unit assembly, which has to be removed first, along with nearly all of the instrument panel. I assume Toyota chose this location as a theft deterrent, to make replacing the ID code box difficult and time-consuming.
    Replacing all of the immobilizer-related ECUs, as a matched set from another car, is a reasonable strategy, if one doesn’t have access to a Toyota Techstream diagnostic system or Smart Code reset capability.

PriusCamper likes this.
  5. michael corp

michael corp New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The ecu set was very reasonable from a UK beaker at £175 including the smart key . thank you for the information i will have a look behind the aircon unit.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    See the lengths required to sort out your vehicle and location? Also, newbie forum not really the place for tech questions.