1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Editorial: A Blind Squirrel Finds His Nut

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Russell Frost, Mar 15, 2011.

1. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, Chris, thanks for coming in and sharing your thoughts, particularly the last few posts which were nicely written to convey information and not inflame.

It has been cited but must be iterated: that more companies claim to be more toward the 40 mpg end of the spectrum means nothing in reality, since we all know the EPA numbers are inaccurate compared to real-world driving, and essentially serve as marketing tools in the form of the highest possible highway number making the front pages.

In reality, we see from real-world users that the cars most offered up as examples of the Prius' obsolescence (Fiesta, Elantra, and the like), while indeed making nice strides for gas cars, get high 20s to mid-30s average mpg in reports from actual users (sites like Fuelly, etc.). The Prius in similar figures has a high concentration of mid 40s mpg, a good 30-40% better fuel economy than the other cars.

Anyone with some patience can beat those numbers, too, in all cars. Just putting an mpg display in every car would probably close the gap nicely between Prii and other cars, but for the time being, like you said, the Prius "is the best". :)

2. GSW

GSW PRIUS POWER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Chris, I hear you man, but times have changed brother. Fixing cars of yesteryear with clamps and screwdrivers may just about be over. The PRIUS is the icon of technology and sometimes many people get intimidated with the idea of driving it, let alone ever trying to tackle it on the DIY service end. Maybe you should just buy one, get an extended warranty and relax. Or if you have a some real balls, buy an OBDII scanner, a scan gauge and jump right in. Good luck either way!

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I almost never get 50 MPG and my reasons for owning a Prius had mileage at number 5, well after more vital issues. http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...502-2010-prius-school-project.html#post979468

I had actually wanted a Saturn Vue two-mode hybrid, a car from a company that no longer exists that they never made, just advertised. It could be worse I suppose, the Chrysler company made hybrid Durangos and Aspens for 3 weeks, owners of those must be wondering where they will get spare parts. In retrospect, I do not regret buying a car still being supported by it's manufacturer.
    Expectation is unlimited, but reality is fixed. f= ma A certain amount of energy is going to move a certain amount of metal just so fast. You can lower gas consumption by not using gas, but that does not necessarily lower energy use.
    Safety and CARB regulations, I think. Toyota does not feel it can support lithium for 150,000 miles and 10 years, NiMH it can. The extra cargo room excites me as I was hoping for a larger hybrid the first time. (Check out my avatar photo and this one http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/22437_1348787722119_1304125006_985752_4829746_n.jpg This photo explains why I am not getting 50 MPG, as well, back to f=ma, I raised m)

So man up and build one. These folk did
    Got Hybrid? - Sport - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver
    Browser Warning
    Browser Warning
    Factory hot rods are for posers.

I want to very carefully not accuse you of this mistake, but every single other poster who has claimed this, has failed to get two facts straight, you may wish to double check your 'facts'.

The United Kingdom uses imperial gallons, there are 1.2 US gallons in an imperial gallon, so it sometimes appears that European cars get better mileage, even when consuming the same amount of fuel. The Prius gets 72 imperial MPG in the European test.

Secondly, the European test is not equal to the EPA test mileage. Be sure you are comparing EPA to EPA or European to European. There is no conversion possible.

4. harshcougar

harshcougar New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No new car for me in the foreseeable future. I'm selling most of my fleet just to pay my taxes and honestly, if I had the money, it'd be for a V6 Mustang. 305 horsepower + 31 mpg = mmm mmm good to me. As it is, I am seriously considering either an old, old, old petrol powered motorcycle, or saving up and buying an electric motorcycle. That's a dream right now too though. I do have my 35 mpg '89 Mustang up and running now though ;)

The days of fixing old cars are far from over, brother. I want guys my age to embrace the challenge and convert some of these old dinosaurs to greener fuels. It's cheaper, it's cleaner, and ya get more power. Win win win.

Besides, I am recycling cars that might otherwise be thrown away, scrapped, or abused (by somebody other than me.)

No Prius for me. But I didn't come here to piss people off. Just to try and better explain myself.

5. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How about .... put a fart can (ok, aftermarket exhaust) on a newly acquired Prius ... and .. some flame stickers to go with a lowering kit, custom rims and sticky tires !!

(I saw a dude with flame stickers on his 2nd gen. It looked pretty tacky, so skip that) :)

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, this isn't going to be near as much fun if you are going to be "reasonable".

I would point out that you chose the adjective "attack". I think that is subconciously telling. Criticize? fine. But why attack something, and furthermore because it is...as you now admit...because it is the best...?

I think reasonable criticism if it is well researched fine. I think negative personal opinion also fine. Not everybody MUST embrace Prius.

I can relate to your feelings about your Jeep Wrangler. When I was younger...about your age..I owned a small Nissan Pick-Up...and enjoyed it for many of the same reasons you site about your Jeep. I called it the Model T...because of it's mechanical simplicity..No Airbags, No ABS...almost nothing electronic attached to the vehicle that wasn't part of the aftermarket Stereo...It was engine, transmission, wheels...and go....

And there IS something to that reality. It was incredibly reliable...almost because it had to be...

But IMO the days of those vehicles are fading and fading fast. Even outside of Prius, just your regular modern vehicle is now attached to a world of electronic and computer controlled technology. It makes all vehicles more efficient, often times safer, but increasingly less "owner" friendly as far as fixing and self repair.

Just open the hood of most modern vehicles. It's becoming less and less easy to recognize anything. Less and less is designed with the idea of owner access or repair.

I recently purchased a Honda Fit....not really comparable to a Prius in terms of amount of technology and design. But I was frustrated when due to a small accident I wanted the dealership to check it for any damage. I asked the dealership service center to look at it...and was met with an incredulous....if it isn't showing a code..then nothing is wrong...no need to look at it...

I'm afraid the days of modern transportation that can most often be fixed simply with clamps and screws...are coming to an end.

And while I support Prius, watch the development of Hybrids and EV's with great anticipation and interest, I do think something is being lost. But that often happens with evolution and advancement.

Now that we have automobiles....far less people know how to ride a horse.

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Chris, please stop confusing maximum MPG (highway rating) with combined MPG or average MPG for which most drivers will experience. The new Mustang does not average 31mpg. That is a highway rating. The 19mpg city rating will bring combined fuel economy down to about 23mpg. The '89 Mustang will not average 35mpg either, even the 4cyl. I owned and raced an '87 and a '90. I'm very well versed in the old 5-ohh. :)

4 people like this.
  8. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think any conventional car will ever match BOTH city and highway fuel economy of the Prius. It is not enough to just match the highway economy.

The Prius' Atkinson cycle engine, engine off/gas off whenever off throttle and regenerative braking all combine, to my knowledge, not allow a car without those features to match it.

I see where you are coming from that the Prius is in the limelight, but it is not generally regarded as very stylish inside or out. The shape pretty much must be as it is for the low Cg. The interior could be cooler IMO ... (could they just get some Accord-esque design in there?).

To be honest, I would like to see Honda 'copy' the Prius (yes, a Honda full hybrid with a very similar look to regular Prius) but put their spin on style into such a car. To me, Accord > Camry, Civic > Corolla in terms of style and desirability, although it's hard to knock Camry's usefulness.

9. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe no one has mentioned ....

Can you test drive a Lexus CT200h? It's the Prius' bad little cousin :) Maybe you don't like compact little hatches since you like Mustangs and all.

10. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    In addition to the fallacy of quoting highway mpg, bear in mind that every time you 'enjoy' your muscle car you fall further below the 'combined' mpg rating...

11. Russell Frost

Russell Frost the whatdrives.us guy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Credit where it's due

First and foremost, unqualified cheers to Chris DeMorro for coming here and responding. Btw, very best of birthdays Chris.

Chris, I very much appreciate your offer to write something for your site. This week, I have to decline. Perhaps some time in the future but right now I just don't have the time to give such an article the time and effort it deserves.

A few observations on your responses.

I don't the motivations behind what you write I can only judge what you post and take it at face value. In both the old Concord piece and this one you play a game that I'm not really fond of. You put a point forth and then sort of back away from it carefully. You've done that here in this thread as well. Maybe you're simply reconsidering information as you learn it, maybe you're a bit disingenuous in what you're writing originally. All told, I think it points to possibly writing more carefully in your original and citing facts you can back up.

An example;
    "Objectively, as a car, I do not find the Prius either exciting or stylish."

That is not an objective statement. It is a subjective one and the difference is quite stark. Labeling your statement objective does not make it so.

You write a lot of things that seem to be mixed comparisons, things that shouldn't be compared, or equitably compared.

In any op-ed, mine or yours, we write opinion. The important thing is to be able to clearly delineate what is opinion and what is fact. I think you mix the two and blue those lines.

Whether or not, as you contend, you think the Prius is boring isn't a fact. It's not even a somewhat objective observation. Calling it such doesn't change anything.

You repeatedly make comparisons, as I mentioned above, to vehicles by picking and choosing MPGs which, well, it's a bit sloppy. To say that 50 MPG on a Prius is no big deal because a twenty year Geo Metro could do it is, at very best, one of those bad comparisons and I think the reasons are obvious but I'll add a few because, well, because I want to. I suspect the fact that you were five years old when this car existed means your experience with the car is limited to reading about it. The Geo Metro was perhaps one of the worst cars ever foisted upon the American public. If, and I do say, IF it could get 50 MPG, it wasn't for long and it wasn't much of a car to do it in. The Metro is a much smaller car. It was a rickety little rat trap that more or less started disintegrating as soon as it rolled off the lot.

Not so much with any generation of Prius. The record is clear on that.

So saying that 50 MPG is no big deal is just wrong and I think it undermines your credibility.

The whole import issue on materials is, well, it's complicated. It happens for a number of reasons and while I think it's a reasonable point to as far as it goes, it's problematic. It's hardly the magic bullet argument against the Prius I believe you think it is.

I think a lot of this boils down to you just don't like the Prius. You're pretty clear on that both here and on your site now and going back historically. Fair enough. But not liking something doesn't make it bad.

I do understand and share you desire for green cars to look cool and to be attractive to wide range of people. I think what we're missing here is the idea that for a car to be efficient, we may not be able to design and build them as we have in the past. We may not be able to slap a 305 horsepower ICE in a green car just because we like the rumble. If our goal is efficiency, we may not be able to slap fins, or big grill work, or twenty inch wheels on the vehicle. The constraints of design of a truly efficient vehicle flow from issues such as weight and Cd more than mass appeal. What I am suggesting here is this, public opinion will change. The lines on the Prius that you disparage will suddenly look a lot more appealing to a public paying $5 a gallon for gasoline. Trust me. This is a matter of fashion. And looking "cool" (as we define it now) is great...if you can afford it. Not so much when it costs $60 (or more) a week to fill your tank.

As for the "v". On What Drives Us (What Drives Us | Alternative Fuel Weekly Podcast) I and my compatriots there have expounded in detail on why we think the v is one thing here and one thing elsewhere. I suspect we're right that it is NHTSA that is holding back the extra row of seats. Maybe that's a good thing the v in the US will be safer than elsewhere, maybe not. I leave that to the owners of said vehicle to decide.

Regarding the Lion cells in the "global" + versus the NiHM cells in the v here, well, I think that ties into that third row. I suspect they needed that space for the seat. Hence using a smaller, Lion pack under the hood. Just a guess.

I agree with you that I think Toyota is in danger of being leapfrogged by some other companies. I've said that on What Drives Us quite a bit. That said, betting against Toyota, historically, isn't such an attractive proposition. It seems they get a lot right a lot of time. That's not expression of faith, as I said my original op-ed, just an observation. Maybe Toyota does have something up their sleeve and as much as I want to know about it, I do appreciate that Toyota tends to be much more careful touting vehicles that don't exist as compared to say, GM.

I think your notion of shade tree mechanics converting old cars to new fuels is interesting if not a bit quaint. There's a reason people like newer vehicles and it's not just novelty. New technology, increased safety are two big ones that are very legitimate reasons my 2010 Prius is more attractive to me than the 70 Cougar was. Loved the Cougar, I feel much knowing my kid is driving my Prius.

And while I get the whole, "I wanna be able to mah car with bailing wire and a crescent wrench" thing, a little. A luddite is still a luddite and frankly, I am willing to guess you probably don't want a phone that you can fix with duct tape. You probably don't hope for a steam powered computer you could fix with a propane torch and a roll of solder. All of which is to say, because it's new and you can fix it yourself doesn't make it bad.

Recycling old vehicles isn't good in an of itself unless it serves a purpose. I think this is mistake you make with your Wrangler talk. There are other factors involved in making a decision whether or not one motor vehicle is a better choice than another. For many older vehicles all of us are safer with them crushed and recycling as metal. Maybe not for others, I have to admit I haven't really given the concept much thought.

As for your factually incorrect and frankly, mostly non-sensical contention that your Wrangler is still greener, well, enjoy it. I don't think it makes your argument stronger or your writing skills, which you say you are still working on, better. Believe me, I understand writing something with an eye to getting a response but I would suggest there's a fine line between that simply being a troll. It's a tightrope I choose to avoid walking whenever I can.

Thanks again for posting here and happy quarter century.

8 people like this.
  12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I know it's a Prius site, but hybrids covers a lot more vehicles besides the Prius, which is the mpg champ.

The next best combined mpg in the US is 42, held by the 200h and Civic hybrid. The Insight 2 gets 41, the Fusion hybrid 39, and the Sonota hybrid 37.

The Camry hybrid gets 33 along with the Elantra, Fiesta, and new Focus SFE. Yes the Camry is bigger and due for an update, but traditional cars are catching up. The three are all automatics, and I don't think the Elantra uses any 'exotic' tech like double clutch transmissions or direct injection. None of them make use of an auto-stop system which would be relatively simple and inexpensive to implement.

So shake off the Prius tunnel vision. There more <35mpg hybrids than >40mpg available. Most favorable count is 6 to 4, and that ignores the high end luxury models.

1 person likes this.
  13. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Credit where it's due

Speaking only for myself? I'm distrustful of anything you can't fix with duct tape.

Also, I'd be so up for a steam powered computer! If it came with a ventable whistle all the more better.

But sometimes I wish we all rode horses....

14. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three

My oldest computer had a 3600 RPM motor as the 'clock', so it ran at 60 Hz, not 60 Mhz, or 60 Ghz, just 60 Hz. I am so glad the bad old days are gone. (you rewired it to change the program, I paid a dollar for it and had to get it out of the building)

My first micro computer was oak, but I could have gotten it in maple as well, later there was a metal case.
    http://oldcomputers.net/northstar-horizon.html
    http://oldcomputermuseum.com/northstar_horizon.html

It got me through College!

1 person likes this.
  15. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Well there you have it. My favorite aunt bought me a 1928 Underwood Typewriter when I was in 4th or 5th grade. The type James Cann used as a weapon in the Movie "Misery".

I used that wonderful piece of art and mechanics through 1 year of college.

Eventually, I was forced to embrace computers and word processors in the light of rewrites and editing.

I still occasionally miss the 50lb mass of iron and metal that actually built the muscles within your fingers up as you used it. But there is only so much you can do with white out.

16. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three

I had a word processor, but it had no spell check.
    So after I wrote, I saved everything and ran a spell check, then re-fired the word processor, in a loop until it found no errors.
    When done I had to shut down both to print, no background printing.
    11 CPS printer made one heck of a racket!
    TELETYPE MODEL 43 PAGE PRINTER

WordStar was such an improvement.
    [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WordStar]WordStar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

17. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The more that you type the more that you show your inexperience. Please do some research before you engage your fingers on a keyboard.

Here I'll do your work for you.
    Fiat 500 1.3 JTD Multijet 16V Pop DPF754.256VW Golf 1.6 TDI BlueMotion DPF1054.157Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDI GreenLine DPF804.157Opel Corsa 1.3 CDTI ecoFlex CO2 Pack DPF754.157Audi A3 1.6 TDI Attraction DPF1054.157Toyota iQ 1.4 D-4D DPF904.059Renault Twingo 1.5 dCi Rip Curl844.059Volvo S40 / V50 1.6D DRIVe Start/Stop DPF1093.960Volvo C30 1.6D DRIVe Start/Stop DPF1093.960Toyota Prius 1.8 Hybrid1363.960Mini One D DPF903.960VW Polo 1.6 TDI BlueMotion903.764Seat Ibiza 1.4 TDI Ecomotive DPF803.764Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi ECOnetic DPF903.764smart fortwo coupé 0.8 cdi pure softip DPF543.469

First: Nearly all of the listed vehicles are smaller and lighter than the Prius. Weight kills fuel economy. If the Prius was lighter and smaller ( oh wait, that would be the Prius c ) then it would get better fuel economy than the iconic Prius.

Second: If they're not smaller then they're much more expensive such as the Audi with a special package.

Third: This rating is very bogus because it only compares highway ratings not combined ratings. In essence the stupid writer has chosen to compare only lighter, smaller vehicles to the Prius hatchback along with a few special highly-priced vehicles and then he only compared the highway ratings. That's called gaming the system. My bicycle gets better fuel economy than all the vehicles listed.

The result is that all the vehicles in that list are about equal in terms of fuel usage on the highway, except that diesel fuel here is 10% more expensive than RUG. But what happens when these poseurs leave the highway? Then all of them are comparative dogs, but the fuel that they use remains 10% more expensive than the fuel that the Prius uses.

Nobody really cares what your opinion is of the Prius. That's why there are so many choices in the market. For you to write an article because you don't like a vehicle is the epitome of self-centeredness. Here's a hint, there are millions like you that don't like the Prius. So what.

Again your inexperience is showing. You don't understand the auto industry, the technology and the limitations. [Highlighted text] No vehicle introduced recently has put any serious stress on Prius sales. Not the Volt, not the Leaf, not the Insight II.

What is disturbing in this piece and in your replies is that in your youthful exurberance to promote yourself as the 'voice of the masses who dislike the Prius' you actually have no supporting facts for any of your views. Nothing that you wrote above is anything more than your own personal opinion.

Here's another hint: If you wish to write a piece with argumentation...you'll need to provide supporting facts, not generalizations and opinions such as...

If you can't provide facts supporting your arguments then it appears to readers that you're
    • lazy
    • uninformed
    • only voicing an opinion
    Take your pick. And as you've probably heard, opinions are like ********, everybody has one.

2 people like this.
  18. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    With regard to TCO, I kept track of every nickle my '04 Prius cost me, from purchase to sale two and one half years later (for cash to the original selling dealer) with over 70K miles. The result: a hair over 21 cents per mile. So that would by necessity include "depreciation". Can't speak to what it would be after five years and another few thousand miles to meet the experts "estimates'.

19. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    well, that's pretty cool. you're an idiot. thanks for posting!

20. harshcougar

harshcougar New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the b-day <3.

Anyway, I am reading all the comments and all, but I think I've explained myself as best I can without shooting myself in the foot any more than I have to.

Russell, consider this an open invitation to write for Gas 2.0 at any time. I even welcome you the chance to repost the editorial you already wrote on Gas 2.0 in its entirety if you'd like.

Anyway, I am off to enjoy a nice peaceful evening at home. I took care of all my debauching this past weekend, still in recovery mode :)