1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Effect of LifeStyle on Colo-rectal Cancer: The Adventist Study

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by SageBrush, Mar 12, 2015.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Epidemiologists and people interested in public health love longitudinal studies of large groups. Perhaps the best well known is the Framingham study, but the Adventists are not far behind and they have always been a group of interest because of their focus on 'healthy living' and the ~ 50% fraction of the group that are variations of vegetarian.

Recently a study came out that compared meat eating to non-meat eating Adventists. Overall the meat eaters had about a 25% greater risk of colo-rectal cancer. Impressive data I think, but much more impressive, and not highlighted in the media or even the study itself, is that Adventists as a group are at much lower risk of colo-rectal cancer than Joe American. I normalized the Adventist study group age demographics to match the general US population and found that Adventists as a group had ~ 55% less colo-rectal cancer. To put some perspective on that number, the aggressive colonoscopy screening instituted in the US this past decade has decreased colo-rectal mortality by about 30%. So lifestyle as practiced by a vegetarian Adventist is twice as effective as screening colonoscopy.

More generally -- and close but not exact:
    • The Adventist lifestyle reduces the risk of colo-rectal cancer by about half
    • Vegetarianism leads to a further 20% reduction in risk.
    It is also very likely true that the decrease in incidence has the very nice additional benefit of pushing those cancers that do occur to older ages.

Abstract: Vegetarian Dietary Patterns and the Risk of Colorectal Cancers. - PubMed - NCBI

#1 SageBrush, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  2. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    for Adventists only as proven by the study.

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll take a little of both.

I'm not fanatical about my religion or my diet, so I suppose I'll have to have the occasional colonoscopy as well.

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    True so far as it goes, but this ~ 78,000 group of people spans North America. Can you think of a convincing reason why this group's findings would not be generalized ? Moreover, this study is in line with many others. One might be skeptical of the degree but the general findings are pretty mainstream.

You should also keep in mind that the trick to identifying important correlations is to otherwise match the two comparison groups. So the fact that this group are all Adventists helps improve the likelihood of the finding being true. The study methods look pretty sound to me as well, and they do a good job of factoring out the other leading or suspected risk factors.

#4 SageBrush, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  5. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i was pulling you leg, but you can't extrapolate if different genetics. don't know much about Adventists.

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    ^^Ahh, I missed the humor. Sorry. Point taken :)

Your comment about genetics is mostly not true. The risk factor remains, but the relative risk may change.

7. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would guess that its just the extra fiber.
    Do the Adventists have lower rates than secular vegetarians?
    If not,then it must be God.

8. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    ^^ One study I briefly skimmed compared IIRC all cause mortality between Adventist physicians and non-Adventist physicians and found similar outcomes. That does not surprise me at all, since both groups have similar lifestyles insofar as the important risk factors for preventable death is concerned:
    • Little to no tobacco use
    • Moderate or less alcohol
    • Low rates of obesity and diabetes
    • (relatively) non-sedentary
    And while physicians as a group have considerably more meat eaters percentage wise than the Adventists, my experience at least is that they do not consume anywhere near the amounts of red meat and pig typical of average Americans. Again only from my experience, vegetarianism among physicians younger than 35 is 10 - 20%.

9. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    One critical item I would add to your last list is minimizing chemical and pollution exposure. It is truly amazing how many chemicals we voluntarily expose ourselves to. I have found water to be the most amazing cleaning product around when combined with old discarded cotton towels and rags. The whole range of window, table, wood, kitchen, bathroom, car, and whatever cleaners don't do much more than water, but I bet their cancer contribution can only be larger. Then think about food additives, preservatives, herbicides, and all the substances designed to kill living organisms that must leak into our bodies.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    in the red meat department, is it likely due to something natural in the animal, or additives in the farming industry?

#10 bisco, Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    As a public health issue, the (by far) leading group of chemicals that cause harm are antibiotics. I don't mean side effects, I mean misuse and abuse that leads to resistant organisms and altered micro-environments.

As for carcinogens, they are actually way down on the list for the public at large. Individuals in specific industries excluded.

12. Onager

Onager Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    mojo likes this.
  13. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Adventist Health Studies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Specifically, comparing death rates of Adventist compared to other Californians:[4]
    Death rates from all cancers was 60% lower for Adventist men and 76% lower for Adventist women
    • Lung cancer 21% lower
    • Colorectal cancer 62% lower
    • Breast cancer 85% lower
    • Coronary heart disease 66% lower for Adventist men, 98% lower for Adventist women"
    • "On average Adventist men live 7.3 years longer and Adventist women live 4.4 years longer than other Californians.
    • Five simple health behaviors promoted by the Seventh-day Adventist Church for more than 100 years (not smoking, eating a plant based diet, eating nuts several times per week, regular exercise and maintaining normal body weight) increase life span up to 10 years.
    • Reducing consumption of red and white meat was associated with a decrease of colon cancer.
    • Eating legumes was protective for colon cancer.
    • Eating nuts several times a week reduces the risk of heart attack by up to 50%.
    • Eating whole meal bread instead of white bread reduced non-fatal heart attack risk by 45%.
    • Drinking 5 or more glasses of water a day may reduce heart disease by 50%.
    • Men who had a high consumption of tomatoes reduced their risk of prostate cancer by 40%.
    • Drinking soy milk more than once daily may reduce prostate cancer by 70%."

#13 mojo, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  14. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    "natural."

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    interesting. do they know what it is, or trying to find out? does cooking change anything?

16. Onager

Onager Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Also the human body is modeled more like a herbivore than a carnivore's digestive track.
    Meat stays in the digestive tract longer than it should.

[​IMG]

17. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I grabbed a snippet of an abstract for you that is pretty representative of the current state of prime suspects / ignorance depending on your point of view:

Processed meat intake may be involved in the etiology of colorectal cancer, a major cause of death in affluent countries. The epidemiologic studies published to date conclude that the excess risk in the highest category of processed meat-eaters is comprised between 20 and 50% compared with non-eaters. In addition, the excess risk per gram of intake is clearly higher than that of fresh red meat. Several hypotheses, which are mainly based on studies carried out on red meat, may explain why processed meat intake is linked to cancer risk. Those that have been tested experimentally are (i) that high-fat diets could promote carcinogenesis via insulin resistance or fecal bile acids; (ii) that cooking meat at a high temperature forms carcinogenic heterocyclic amines and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons; (iii) that carcinogenic N-nitroso compounds are formed in meat and endogenously; (iv) that heme iron in red meat can promote carcinogenesis because it increases cell proliferation in the mucosa, through lipoperoxidation and/or cytotoxicity of fecal water. Nitrosation might increase the toxicity of heme in cured products. Solving this puzzle is a challenge that would permit to reduce cancer load by changing the processes rather than by banning processed meat. ​

N-nitroso compounds are the leading candidates. Think smoked products most of all, and heavily processed products after that.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks guys! so cooking makes it worse? opposite of common sense it seems.

19. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Well, cooking does kill food bourne pathogens and parasites. Which leaves you with the risk of dying sooner from them, some of which could cause cancer, or dying later from the meat caused cancer.;) If you want to eat meat.

Cooked food is also easier to digest. It likely played a part in our evolution. Eating cooked food left more energy for a larger, more active brain.

If you trust the source of the food to be clean, then eating raw is likely the healthiest. Less cooking and processing means less of the vitamins and micro-nutrients are destroyed, and less harmful compounds are produced. Then it takes more calories to digest it, so lower net calories. Supposedly, raw celery takes more calories to digest than it provides.

20. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I think it is the preservative Florinated ChlroEthelBisTolineDoxySodine designed to eliminate all ecologically destructive 8, 6, and 2 legged parasites that come in contact with the meat.

(P.S. It's preservative action is activated by either cooking or ionizing radiation.)