1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Effects of Short Commute (mpg, maintenance, etc.)

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Ashley7, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Hello all! I've had my c for about a week now, and I'm loving it. However, my work commute is just over 3 miles each way (usually I drive home for lunch, so a total of a little over 12 miles a day). I know some people will question why I got a Prius with such a commute, but it's the car I wanted the most! Besides, who knows how my commute will change during the years I own the car.

But now that I have the car, I'm curious about a couple things:

1) MPG. I've seen it mentioned that with shorter trips, you'll see lower mileage, due to the fuel used during warmup. I've seen the evidence of this myself, obviously. I usually get low 40s in the morning, and high 40s in the afternoon/evening, I assume due to temperature changes (I was able to break 50 on all trips during the single sunny day we've had). I know that I can't expect super mileage on these short trips, but do you think it will improve some as the engine breaks in? Not that high 40s isn't spectacular compared to the 21 mpg I got in my last car. I'm also curious about the specifics of the warmup stages, if anyone can point me to where I can learn about that. It's so frustrating when it finally goes to EV right as I leave my apartment complex :rolleyes:

2) Maintenance. This is my more major concern. Do you think constantly driving these short distances affects the car in any way that I need to be conscious of? I recall seeing something in the manual about it, but I think it was talking about distances of less than a mile? I'll have to look it up again. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

3) Anything else I should know WRT having a short commute?

Thanks in advance! I've been very impressed with the wealth of knowledge around these parts. :)

1 person likes this.
  2. EVOX

EVOX New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    We have the same commute! I drive just over 3 miles each way and I always go home for lunch as well. I have driven the car 300 miles thus far and I am averging 47 mpg's. This includes a 60 mile trip from the dealership home which is basicaly all highway driving. So I can't complain with the mpgs i am getting now compared to what i was getting (17mpg) Hopefully someone will chime in with some good thoughts as it will benefit me too :)

3. James9567

James9567 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    the sweet spot for mpg,,, is driving at least 5miles or more on a trip,,, going anywhere from 30-50 mph..... i just recently did a 46 mile trip going 35-50 mph,, and getting 71mpg.......

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    1) I encourage you to drive a longer distance every other week.

a) the Engine Oil need to get hotter than 212F to drive out water
    b) the 12 volt battery needs time to recharge

2) if you don't drive longer distances,

a) reduce the mileage between oil changes
    b} a 'battery minder' a charger of under 2 Amps, may keep the 12 volt battery in fine condition.

5. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't have the c, but I've been driving my Gen II on a 3-mile commute for 5 years now. I don't go home for lunch though, and for 8 months of the year I ride my bike about 50% of the time. So the occasional longer trips on weekends or vacations help out the overall mpg level quite a bit.

With a scangauge to track the warmup stages, tire pressure at 40/38 generally, and using pulse and glide when possible, I average 49 mpg.

There's a detailed description of the warmup stages (for Gen II, but it's probably pretty much the same) at http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/five-stages.txt (written by and for nerds, FWIW). Yes, for us short-commuters, it's tough to get to stage four, but stage 3 is still effective if you drive at the right speeds. For my Gen II, in stage 3 you go to full no-ICE when the engine coolant temperature is >157'F and you're above 35 mph and then coast or glide. I'm not sure of the details for temp and speed for the Gen III/c cars.

6. Sean Solo

Sean Solo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Excellent thread - thank you. I have essentially the same commute (but not home for lunch) and I am seriously considering a C, but I was also concerned about these same issues. I am thrilled that you're getting in the 40's. My current 1998 Civic gets about 22 MPG for my commute. Are you on fuelly.com? I'd love to follow your MPGs over time. The Cs on there right now are doing mostly highway.

7. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I'm not currently on fuelly.com, though I've considered joining. I've only used two "pips" of gas so far, so it will take quite some time for me to get the three fill-ups I've heard are required to show up on the site :) I might, though.

1 person likes this.
  8. nerfer

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Warmup stages in recap, for Gen II:
    1a - Just powered on, first half-mile - ICE comes on, but all drive power is from electric battery. If car is coasting or stopped, then the ICE will recharge the battery, otherwise, it's wasted energy. When driving with some pressure on the gas pedal, you can feel a little surge when you go from 1a to 1b.
    1b - gas engine is now ready to power the wheels, and battery power is used only if needed.

2 - engine is above 40'C (104'F), and gas engine will turn off at stops (if the heater isn't on, etc.) Note that the energy display will show the engine is off when coasting at speed, but it's not really. That's why at slow speeds, you don't get 99 mpg, but maybe 90, 85, etc.

3 - engine coolant is above 70'C (157'F), gas engine will truly turn off when not needed at speeds between 35 mph and 41 mph (and will stay off until needed, so you can coast down to 30 mph). Car stays in stage 3 (usually) until you come to a complete stop for 6-7 seconds. The engine will then turn off with a little lurch and you are now in stage 4

4 - Gas engine will turn off when not needed at any speed under 41 mph (for Gen II, later cars have a higher limit). Above this speed, the engine doesn't consume gas if not needed, but it still needs to spin due to mechanical limits, so pulse and glide isn't as effective, and the energy screen doesn't go to a no-arrows state.

I have seen cases where the car is turned off for a short period of time (run into a store), and it's still warm when you turn it on and it starts right off in stage 4. I have also seen cases where the car was in stage 4, I had a long glide to a red light, sit at the light for awhile, then when I continue driving I'm back in stage 3, even though the engine temp stayed above 157'F the whole time. It must be monitoring the catalytic converter temp as well, maybe something else too.

1 person likes this.
  9. Teacake

Teacake OohShiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Excellent thread idea! I've been wondering the same thing since my new job is very close to where I now live. Thanks for all of the helpful replies, gang!

10. CookieGuru

CookieGuru Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My commute, while in a Gen II, is about the same. Seems silly to drive such a short distance, but it'd take 30+ minutes by bus whereas by car it's about 10.

I've been getting mid 30s for most trips. Not that great, but since most of those are all short trips, I'd say it's not bad.

I find I achieve the best MPG by working from home.

11. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    While short trips may prevent the ridiculous MPGs some get, using techniques like grill blocking and engine block heaters can help a lot! I can see 60 mpg on a mild sunny day after driving less than 4 miles!:p

12. nerfer

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I forgot to mention I block the grill (not sure how helpful it is, but it's cheap) and I use an EBH whenever the car is sitting in temps overnight of under 50'F. The EBH definitely helps on short commutes, but you still probably won't make any money back on it. It does help get the warm air blowing sooner though, if you use that (I just wear a coat for the 7 minutes to get to work, who needs heat? Except for defrost to keep the windshield clear).

But my days of a short commute might be coming to an end. Our workplace is moving in June to all of 10 miles away, but we're pretty much all looking for new work anyway because work conditions in general have degraded considerably (new boss, layoffs, etc.)

My main interest is not MPG but GPM (gallons per month). In that respect, a short commute shines. I fill up about every 3 weeks. Including vacations and such I still average less than 14 gallons/month. In the old days with a 14 mile commute and a car that only got 24 mpg, I was using nearly 50 gallons/month.