1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

efficiency buttons

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by jukeboy, Oct 9, 2009.

1. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Honestly I have not so much issue with the location of the buttons - they are not there to be pressed ever so often, but just when in need to change overall behaviour of the car, in specific traffic conditions. In an "emergency" I don't even have the time to check for a button, I press the brakes or the accelerator and live with it. If it is true that the different power modes only change the response of the accelerator - flooring it will give the same response, the modes are not an emergency measure.
    Though honestly I have another theory about modes: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-technical-discussion/72427-eco-vs-normal-vs-pwr-mode-really-just-accelerator-mapping.html

I find the buttons relatively easily in any case, and a very quick glance is all I need to find them, in case I have a problem. In any case the right most one, is the PWR mode, which is the only one you might need "quickly". The others are not there for a life saving situation in any case... ;)

FreakinToddles said:
    How??? in ECO and normal mode I am around 5L/100km (calculated) (around 45mpg) - it is fine, but it is beyond me that in my city commute (which is honestly speaking a bit of everything, including 3 km highway) with PWR I could do 56mpg. How do you do it?!?! please tell me where you drive (type of traffic and speed) and how - am I doing something wrong?

2. AussieDave

AussieDave New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Had mine for week.

So far have only changed the mode to EV once to make sure it worked when I was showing off to a friend.

As it is by the time I get home (as long as I do not sit in the car with it going while I program phone numbers in etc) the battery is so charged up that next drive I can start up, back out of the garage and into the street and then drive of down the street with the ICE not coming on until I am weel away from home. Now I just need to train the cat from across the street not to sleep in my driveway as the car can now sneak up on it.

Do not even bother using the power button as by the time I think about it I find it easier to just put the foot down for the merge onto the freeway.

Pressing the ECO button changes from my 5 minute consumption screen so do not use that one either.

David

3. silverfog

silverfog New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Then it's easy for you. My preference is Power. Unfortunately it's a button that resets each time the ignition is turned off. So each time I have to press it -- but not all the time. That's why I think the position is poor. It should be on the steering wheel. It's not for dense downtown traffic, nor for long distance cruising, but for a lot of driving it allows a more sensitive -- and I'm convinced -- a more economic throttle control. Besides that, it's more fun!

4. Botany Bill

Botany Bill Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree. Now that I've gotten a bit settled in to my new-to-me 2014 Prius 2 that I bought 10/18, I find most console button placement to be a frustration along with the controls on the touch screen. So many of these require the driver to look at them - and look away from the road - to find the desired control. Very non-intuitive. And that the shifter is in that whole mix makes bumping it another risk.

My previous car was a 2008 Honda Fit and I could control most things by feel and not sight. That's the way cars need to be.

CR94 likes this.
  5. Botany Bill

Botany Bill Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Seems to me that defeats the purpose of having a hybrid since it uses the most gas and the least electricity. And this may be helpful: power is automatic when depressing the gas pedal something like halfway or more.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm just glad there are still a few buttons

7. bobzchemist

bobzchemist Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've found that switching from the "joystick" shifter to one of the pushbutton shifters also makes using the efficiency buttons much more intuitive.

Official store for STAGE 10 PRIUS SHIFTER – Stage 10 Online