1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Efficiency pays dividends

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Dec 25, 2019.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: South Australia’s clean-energy shift brings lowest power prices on national grid, audit finds | Australia news | The Guardian

The shift to more than 50% clean energy in South Australia led to the lowest average wholesale power prices in the national electricity grid over the past two months, an audit has found.

According to the national energy emissions audit published by the Australia Institute, South Australia has had lower monthly wholesale electricity prices than Victoria since January, than New South Wales since August and than Queensland and Tasmania for the past two months.

It is the first time the state has had cheaper wholesale power than all other states for consecutive months. It coincided with the percentage of electricity from wind and solar energy in the state reaching nearly 65% in November.
    . . .

Bob Wilson

hill, Zythryn, noonm and 2 others like this.
  2. noonm

noonm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Onshore wind is often cheaper than dead dino power. PV solar is now typically on par, so this is not surprising.

In the US, we're seeing some states now subsidizing coal and nuclear plants because natural gas, wind and solar are making them uncompetitive.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

bwilson4web likes this.
  3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just curious, which states or the source(s)?

Bob Wilson

4. noonm

noonm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Nuclear and coal power plants financial plans are for 40-50 years, so if they screw up predicting the future market (which many did), they suddenly have these unprofitable plants. Some examples are:

Ohio Governor Signs Coal and Nuclear Bailout at Expense of Renewable Energy | InsideClimate News

Major utility fails to get West Virginia customers to bail out its aging coal plant – ThinkProgress

Perry says federal coal and nuke bailout not dead, but encourages states to act | Utility Dive

Wyoming passes coal support bill in spate of Western action to save ailing plants | Utility Dive

Not all of these efforts are successful, but many states with large coal or nuclear plants have either passed or are considering some form of subsidy or bailout.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks.

Bob Wilson

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ironically - as battery backup & solar become more cost-effective than non-renewables the failure to properly assess fossil fuel costs likely doesn't take into account 50 year prediction screw-ups ..... such as affects of mountains of coal ash

#6 hill, Dec 30, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  7. Ronald Doles

Ronald Doles Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I live in Ohio. Sometime around 2009, First Energy bought these coal plants so if there was a 50 year plan it wasn't a very good one. First Energy is in bankruptcy but they had plenty of money to spread around the Capitol to convince our forward thinking representatives and governor what a great deal it would be to have the people of Ohio pay more for electric so that these 2 coal plants and 2 nuclear plants could continue to operate with customer funded subsidies.

First Energy also had the money to put ridiculous commercials on tv every 5 minutes justifying House bill 6. They claim that the Chinese were going to take over our electric grid if we didn't pass this bill.

When this bill passed, a new natural gas generating plant that they were building in Northeast Ohio was put on hold. The builders/financiers indicated that the new plant was to replace the electrical generation that was to be lost when these four plants went offline. They weren't going to try to compete with subsidized energy from those 4 plants.

Buying cheaper electricity generated by natural gas, wind and solar just made too much sense to them. They also passed some of the most stringent site restrictions in the country on any new windmills. Probably with encouragement dollars from First Energy.

I have an all electric home with a heat pump. I created an Excel spreadsheet that tracks my electrical kilowatts used and energy costs over the last 20 years. The electric rate held steady at around 3 cents/kw from the late 90's until about 2009. That is when deregulation of our electricity occurred and American Electric Power was no longer the monopoly supplier. First Energy came on the scene about that time and bought these power plants.

I was given the privilege of buying electricity on the open market from any supplier. The problem is that in about 3 years the electric rate rose from 3 cents/kw to as high as 10 cents/kw no matter which supplier you chose. As natural gas generation, wind and solar has replaced many coal plants, the cost has settled at about 6 cents/kw. Of course my local utility has added a number of creative surcharges onto the generation cost so the actual delivered cost per kw is about 12.3 cents/kw.

I have done everything I could to conserve energy and minimize our energy use. Our electric bill, which is our only energy bill is still budgeted at under $100 per month so I guess that I shouldn't complain but complaining is something that I do well.

#7 Ronald Doles, Jan 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    bwilson4web likes this.
  8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you also converted the hot water heater to a heat pump? That is another potential large chunk of energy savings, I made that conversion in 2013.