1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Efficient ventilation mode?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Jeppefinn, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Jeppefinn

Jeppefinn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Premium
    Hi everyone,

Just bought this 2016 Prius Premium (three levels sold here in Finland called life, active and premium and Prius Prime is called Prius Plug-in here), so this is the non-plugin one with all the bells and whistles (maybe like a Prius four touring in the US I guess).

Does anybody know what this ”efficient ventilation mode” does exactly?
    Trying to find if unchecking it might help with windows fogging up in wintertime.

2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yes it might. Try it and see.

Do you have an owners manual ??

3. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    In the Repair Manual, available by subscription to toyota-tech.eu, under Air Conditioning System: Customize Parameters, Toyota writes that “Efficient ventilation mode” is a “Function to change the mode automatically to recirculation air mode when turning the A/C on to cool the cabin quickly.” The default setting is “On.”

Jānis Elmeris and FuelMiser like this.
  4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looks like a nice feature! I would guess that it has something to do with using outside air if the inside air is hotter than the outside air.Then, when the inside air temperature get down to the outside air temperature, it would switch to recirc. Probably also has to do with fan and compressor speeds.

Jeppefinn likes this.
  5. Jeppefinn

Jeppefinn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Premium
    Many thanks. Had nothing on that in my finnish manual, it just said ”will work more effiently” :D.
    I guess it does that mainly when it’s hot and you start your car.
    Had it on and recirc did not turn when it has been -15 to +5 celsius here lately.
    Thank you.

Elektroingenieur likes this.
  6. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    WOW. That is amazing......and troubling, since being in the recirc mode can suddenly fog over your windshield and block your view under some conditions. I would think that the default should be OFF........since having the AC start up in "fresh air" mode is just a minor inconvenience and not a safety hazard.

7. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    AFAIK, the A/C will chill and dry recirculated air exactly the same as fresh air. Because the internal air is the same temperature as the windscreen it should not fog up for very long unless you've sat in the car for a while before starting the system.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  8. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    That sounds logical but it is WRONG much of the time.
    You can't appreciate the difference unless you have seen it.

As the outside temperature goes down, the absolute humidity goes down too; cold air is dry.
    The air INSIDE the car has no way to "expel" it's moisture as the temperature drops and the absolute humidity goes WAY up.
    Sometimes all of the interior surfaces are slightly damp; add in the moisture from your breath.

Note that when you turn ON the front defroster, it automatically turns OFF the recirc.

Jeppefinn likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think it should be ok, for a couple of reasons:

1. AC tends to dry the air very efficiently.
    2. If I'm not mistaken, the cabin air temperature sensor also is monitoring humidity, and the ventilation system's logic might switch to outside air if there was high humidity? Maybe @Elektroingenieur knows?

Personally, I leave AC off as much as possible. I'll use it in heavy rain, when there's no other way to keep the windshield clear, but that's about it. By "AC" I'm referring to the active cooling system, the North American meaning of AC, not the fan system as a whole (as Toyota refers to it).

Jeppefinn, Data Daedalus and RCO like this.
  10. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Only saying what happens in the Gen 4 hatchback and feel qualified to comment on that.
    Unlike some posters.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  11. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Indeed.

Sorry you have such limited experience.

Having worked for a rental car company for quite a few years, I've driven maybe a HUNDRED different models or more and in this respect they are all pretty much the same.

And they have been the same for about 40 years, since A/C became a pretty standard feature.

12. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just ignore him. I do not know why he made a second account to ignore.

RCO and pilotgrrl like this.
  13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah AFAIK, you have to have A/C on in recirc mode and it obviously works to keep the windows clear. I don't know why he thinks otherwise?

I think the "Efficient Ventilation Mode" is the ECO Heat/Cool in the NA models. European models don't have that ECO Heat/Cool button because it's replaced with the dual-zone button. (they also have the AUTO/FAST button).

RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  14. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Definitely - Recirc+A/C = drier air - then add heat to comfort level.

The evaporator of the A/C, condenses water vapour, it drips down the evaporator, along the water channels and drains TO OUTSIDE.

If you open outside vents, you just invite more moist air inside.

We lived in the mould capital of Queensland which was on a mountain range surrounded by rainforest, most nights were foggy, and fogged up windscreens were a constant battle - till we got A/C.

15. The Professor

The Professor Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    I think the confusion here is over the context of the word "efficient". "Efficient ventilation mode" is not referring to it being great at ventilating your car, it's referring to its fuel efficiency. This is the same as the Eco control on the climate control on other cars.

It turns re-circulation on because that is the most fuel efficient way of cooling the cabin, as the AC only needs to cool the volume of air within the cabin, which it can do quickly, and then maintain it at that temperature. With re-circulation off, it would have to continuously cool the incoming outside air down to the required temperature, which obviously requires more energy.

If you want to keep your windows clear, you need to have re-circulation off (so the moist air can escape the cabin), and the AC on (which dries the air due to moisture condensing on the cooling elements), and have the air direction controls set to direct the air flow to the windscreen, along with the fan at a moderate to high speed.

KV55 and Jeppefinn like this.
  16. Jeppefinn

Jeppefinn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Premium
    541A414F-6337-4958-B554-0CBC9A1FB23F.jpeg
    Yes. That’s what I have.
    Yes. That’s what I have on mine.
    So the ”efficent mode” is just as it says in the manual? Will just make the ac system slower/more efficient?

IMO when it’s cold (like -10C and colder) outside air is very dry (cold air can hold less water). So recirc is not a good option, if it’s extremely moist and warm outside then it might be.

In wintertime I only use recirc for 10-15 min after start if I’ve had my block heater and interior heater on (to hold warm air inside the car until the engine warms up). Other than that I never use recirc in wintertime.

I use the the block and interior heater when it’s below -0C or colder (mainly so I don’t have to scrape the windows in the morning).

I guess I’ll try the ac auto/fast/eco setting. Maybe in with ac in normal or fast mode windows will fog up less when it’s really cold.
    I did not know how that button worked either until I read the manual.

I usually always drive in eco mode.

My previous gen3 was the same, with that I just hit defog button every 20 minutes or so to clear up the windows.

Many thanks.

RCO likes this.
  17. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In mine, the Auto button cycles through three HVAC modes... Fast, Normal and Eco. True, the button is simply marked Auto, but the full automatic range is still there. Incidentally, further to what @Prodigyplace said elsewhere, when I select Evo Drive Mode the HVAC is set to Echo at the same time. This will be of purely academic interest to you guys more than 10° West of the Greenwich Meridian.

As for Sam, well.... I live in hope. I've know many officer cadets so bloated with their self importance and adamant in their preconceptions they refused to accept the correct training and avoid following instruction. You must never give up on them. To do so is to fail yourself, so I'll not block him.

Jeppefinn, pilotgrrl and alanclarkeau like this.
  18. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You must have different setup to us -
    upload_2018-4-9_21-16-55.png

Yours is mirror imaged, though not totally, has more thingys in the display (dual climate control?). But your AUTO button appears to have multiple toggle functions
    upload_2018-4-9_21-18-42.png

19. Jeppefinn

Jeppefinn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Premium
    On mine Auto toggles 3 modes, eco/normal/fast it shows on screen to the left of the fan (shows only eco or fast, normal = empty).
    If you are in eco drive mode when you start the car it always switches to eco mode for the ac.

The dual button is pretty stupid, it jus toggles if you control the temperature separetely on both sides of the car (DUAL) or both sides change from the drivers temperature button (dual off).

RCO likes this.
  20. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In the US we have an Eco button. It does not have an LED indicator like the others around it though. the only indication is the word ECO beside the fan speed indicator. For us, at least an LED would make sense for a quick check at a glance.

Jeppefinn, RCO and pilotgrrl like this.