1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EGR cleaning 1st time @240K

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by oasmith, Oct 21, 2018.

1. oasmith

oasmith Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So I finally caved and cleaned the EGR cooler. After opening it up, I don't even know how my car was still running. I had cleaned the intake manifold and EGR pipe about 30-40k miles ago, and was surprised to see that it already looked about as bad as the first time. A bit of oil in the throttle body, but I didn't have the OCC. Maybe next time, if the car lasts. Anyway, when I was spraying the parts cleaner in one end, of the EGR it was pooling up at that end, not even running through. I only got one "after" picture since I was quickly running out of day time. Since the intake was just as bad, I cleaned that again as well. I finally got the EGR to drain through, and could blow air through it. Thanks @Raytheeagle for pushing me in to doing it.

Attached Files:

RMB, Bay Stater and Raytheeagle like this.
  2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Glad you go it sorted:).

That was very clogged:eek:.

Prepare for the next round as it will need to happen again(y).

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like high speed driving causes more blowby, or less? that's a lot of miles on a '14.