1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EGR Cleaning at Hybrid Pit

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by MelonPrius, Mar 31, 2022.

1. ToyXW

ToyXW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Lots of cold starts and light loads (short city driving) is dirtier than fully warm moderate loads (highway cruising).

2. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    To be accurate, I wrote that I’m going to change at 5-7k miles- not 7k miles.
    Right now, I have my 5k maintenance warning on my dash.

In terms of “recommended” interval from Toyota- it’s 10k- although I’ve read in this forum that many posters feel it’s too long and should be closer to 5k.

Hybrid Pit advised me to change at 5k miles, which is why I’m going to shorten the interval.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you look again more closely at your Warranty and Maintenance Guide I believe you will see that there is a 10k/12month general recommendation, given alongside a 5k/6month recommendation if any of about four different driving conditions apply to you. You are, of course, on the honor system to decide if any of those apply to you. If the answer for any one is yes, then Toyota's recommended interval for you is 5k or 6 months, as it is for me. No 'feeling' about it.

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    For a gen3 Toyota did push people into the 10k mile or 12 month oil change by giving the first two free. They suggested it was free maintenance for the first 25k miles but would not do free oil changes at 5k, 15k or 25k. By providing free oil changes at 10k and 20k miles they established a pattern in the customer's mind. I was one of those customers and ended up with oil burning and completely clogged egrs.

Toyota service departments are commission driven and are often behind the curve on emerging issues. I had an antenna preamp failure they would not cover during warranty primarily because they never saw one fail and the dealer had no clue how to test it. Later Toyota provided a test rig for the problem. After the warranty expired. My inverter failed before they covered it. Toyota is still not acknowledging egr clogging as a problem beyond replacing it. They did replace rings for a few owners early on.

The 5k mile oil change Special Conditions really don't fit most customers. Used wrong oil last time? No. Dirt or dusty roads? No. Less than five mile trips below 32F? No. Extensive idling or low speed driving like Taxi, Police or Delivery? No.

Bad engine design with flawed pistons, rings and egr? Yes. Change your oil at 5k mile or six month intervals. But this is not Toyota criteria; it is simply experienced mechanic's recommendations that may save your engine and catalytic converter. It won't help your brake booster so save a couple of thousand for that day. If your head gasket goes first you will have funds ready for that as well.

2C818DDD-78DF-42CC-8062-ACCAA83CC40A.jpeg

#24 rjparker, Apr 1, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
  5. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    rjparker, I remember in the old days when the dealer would try to get me to do more maintenance than I needed. Nowadays, it feels like the local Toyota dealer wants me to do less maintenance than what the experienced posters around here advise. My local dealer advised against changing the transaxle and brake fluids. They told me not to worry about the EGR cleaning, and to follow 10k oil change intervals.

I decided to follow whatever advice HP offered me for maintaining my Prius. In addition to a shorter oil change interval, they told me to watch the coolant level very carefully and to buy a bluetooth ODBII reader. Greg showed me where to plug in the OBD2 reader and was nice enough to show me how to test the hybrid battery with Dr Prius.

GregC1979 likes this.
  6. ToyXW

ToyXW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Toyota's reputation takes a hit if big items start failing before ~150,000 miles, but it really isn't in Toyota's interest to build cars that last 300,000+ since very few of Toyota's customers keep their cars that long.

On the other hand, customers tend to appreciate it when Toyota eliminates routine maintenance. Who likes adjusting points, tuning jets, and swapping spark plugs twice a year?

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When I was a teen, I really did like all that. Felt very grown up.

Can't say I've missed it since then.

8. bigrin

bigrin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    RJ: Is it worth it to try and clean the EGR yourself? Coming up on 100K maintenance and wondering what I should have done besides the owner's manual suggestions. Thanks.... cr

9. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Sure.

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It’s the best way to go. Dealerships will want to replace everything, which is a total sand pounder. See first link in my signature.

Georgina Rudkus likes this.
  11. bigrin

bigrin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks RJ., always love reading your posts and reply's.

12. bigrin

bigrin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks ML., lot of great info on your signature. I'm checking it out now.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The EGR valve is easy to clean with Berryman's cleaner in minutes. It's the cooler that takes some time.

For the $618 paid to Hybrid Pit, the cost of the trip from Las Vegas to Buena Park, the night spent in the motel and the cost for meals, one can buy a used egr cooler off of eBay for just over $100 and take his or her time to clean it beforehand. Just over $200 will get you a new updated intake manifold instead of one that is just cleaned. Hybrid fan cleaning is a take apart, vacuum and brush job. For that price, you could have a new fan, too.

You don't have to do everything at once. Most everything is unbolt or snap apart and reassemble.

#33 Georgina Rudkus, Jul 1, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
    RightOnTime likes this.
  14. nate358

nate358 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's an updated intake manifold? Can you point me in the direction?
    Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

15. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Which model Prius? Your data reflects that you have a 2006 model.

16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Cleaning your existing manifold is easy and effective. The manifold revision was apparently a revision to the EGR passages, going from:

One large gallery feeding four capillaries

to:

one large gallery feeding two intermediates feeding four capillaries

and I suspect it doesn’t make much difference. Except to lighten your wallet.

nate358 likes this.
  17. nate358

nate358 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, I no longer have that Prius... I now have a 2012 Prius V Gen 3 engine.
    Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

18. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    nate358 likes this.
  19. Debugging

Debugging Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So, before I really understood what I do now, I watched a youtube video that guided me. It told me to take the EGR out, spray with all kinds of engine cleaning solvent, let it soak a while, then fire a pressure washer through each end of it until it was clean water.
    Then I sprayed cleaner into the intake manifold and scrubbed it with a pipe brush. Changed the orange gasket and It worked! LOL

Took about an hour and cost about $20.

Montgomery likes this.
  20. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Congrats, and welcome! What's your odometer reading, and how badly was it clogged?