EGR Cleaning: What did I get myself into?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Bay Stater, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Lightning Racer

Lightning Racer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Purple Power was one of the first mentioned in the EGR cooler cleaning thread because it won some comparison test, and it really does work well. I got mine from pretty clogged to spotless/like-new in over the course of about a day. First you need to push all the way through each passageway with a stiff wire (hand rotating the wire as necessary) under running water at the sink. Then do soaks in Purple Power with the cooler plugged up. I actually started with a Purple Power soak before trying the wire, but would go straight to the wire poking first if I were to do it again.

Bay Stater and kc410 like this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Lapsed Cargo Cultist

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I saw a comparison (of diesel EGR cleaner?) where Purple Power was highly rated. Unfortunately it's hard to get locally. So first I went with brake cleaner, but the results were so-so.

@mjoo suggested OxyClean; I had an enormous box of it on hand, so I gave it a try, with very good results.

I suspect PP is similar formulation, a moderately caustic cleaner. Maybe some other trace ingredients, who knows.

I prefer Oxy in powder format, buying a big bottle of liquid format cleaner is likely less economical?

Bay Stater likes this.
  3. Lightning Racer

Lightning Racer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I got a gallon of Purple Power for around $6 at the local Walmart, so that was pretty cheap. I ended up using very little of it, so I'll find some other uses for the remaining.

4. Bay Stater

Bay Stater Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It doesn't hurt to use brake cleaner or soak with Oxi Clean to soften the crud before pushing a wire through the ports. I filed a point on the wire tip to aid easier push through. Done the ports twice, may do a third time. Been sick for the last few weeks so progress has been slow. :(

5. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Has anyone tried This .......yes, a little steep, I know

Bay Stater likes this.