1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EGR cooler gasket not correctly fit exhaust side

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ozmatt, Feb 27, 2021.

1. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A Pressure washer is fine to use on teh manifold.
    Spray carb cleaner in there, put the nozzle far in there to hopefully blow it out.
    Cover with a rag to protect your face.

ozmatt likes this.
  2. ozmatt

ozmatt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I tried the parts and carb cleaner twice, didn't budge the buildup, soaked over night.. done nothing but stink lol..

Just soaked in oven cleaner and pressure washed, still tons of carbon inside manifold

Now I'm particularly bothered about the crud sitting right on the edge of the valves and seats, granted it's combustible junk but don't like to see it right there where the valve seats and there's not a chance I can clean it in situ

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. Willy Toast

Willy Toast Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Not sure about drilling the manifold holes too scary for me.
    Regarding the valve not sticking I wonder if the all open stem down the opposite of a normal stop valve. Maybe design of the stem guide changed after 2012? The sticking valve warranty includes software update so could alter the shutoff mode but unlikely I guess.. Probably after 2012 just a looser stem guide or some kind of stem scraper arragement.

4. ozmatt

ozmatt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Not too sure on that Willy, when i first got P0401 i remember reading a thread somewhere where someone done a teardown and autopsy on their egr valve but from memory it did not fix his issue.

got the cooler back on today with a fresh gasket that only took a couple minutes, no probs there, the manifold is soaking, again. its nearly clean..

looking at where i want to put this catch can, my ocd half wants it low but my cbf half (which is strong) wants it near the headlight lol

after the initial shock and panic of all that mess around my valves i left it to properly dry then all i needed to do was attach some garden hose to the shop vac with duct tape which got me deep in there, with an assistant i also blew with compressor while vacuuming at same time, this worked for the three closed valves tomorrow i will vacuum then close the 4th and get some compressed air in that once closed, seemed to work well enough but i hate looking at the leftover soot on back of valves and near seats, i just want to spray them with something but haven't got the nerve

If ever again i will have a spare clean manifold and cooler cleaned up ready to roll before i even touch the car, aside of the damn cleaning its easy enough to do

mikey_t and Willy Toast like this.
  5. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I didn't know you have a compressed air. You can spray the carb cleaner then blow it out.
    I REALLY miss not have a compressor!

Once you have everything clean, the next time won't be as bad. Certainly this one had never
    been cleaned or it had a lot of miles on it after cleaning. If you do it every 50,000 or so it will
    go easier and faster.

Having a spare cooler is really nice. I bought one for $50 and cleaned it. So when I cleaned the
    EGR Circuit the 2nd time I was able to just put the cleaned cooler on. And clean the one I took
    off later.

My manifold didn't have much oil in it and I used the gun bore brush and gunk to clear out the
    egr passages. It took about 2-3 minutes for all four. It only took me about 3 hours to do the
    whole job the 2nd time.

#45 ASRDogman, Mar 6, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    mikey_t and ozmatt like this.
  6. Willy Toast

Willy Toast Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It took me two days to do the job. But I had a visitor who likes to hide parts on the old man.

mikey_t, ASRDogman and ozmatt like this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I got something similar to this, from these guys:

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/home/cleanup/68827-vaccuflex?item=12F0115

Likely similar available around the world. The narrower the tubes do reduce flow though.

ozmatt likes this.
  8. ozmatt

ozmatt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Yeah Dogman, i have a compressor and air gun, sorry for not mentioning it earlier,

Was originally hesitant to use carb cleaner directly around the valves thinking it might melt the carbon deposits and send the runny black soot like crap down in to the seat, if it's safe practice I will do it tomorrow! and how about the port with open valve which is #2, I am not sure it's a good time to close that valve as there may be junk sitting on the seat .. meh

Yes the compressor is very handy, I couldn't live without it. It broke down last year the week long wait for parts was traumatizing!

Will definitely clean it much earlier next time, but I'm still on the hunt for another manifold and cooler to clean up ready! I seen two of these engines go in the scrap skip a month ago, how annoying!

Mendel that's a good little bit of kit, the garden hose worked well and was a good size for the job on hand.

ASRDogman and Mendel Leisk like this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I’ve got to get a compressor some time. Thinking for a beginner best to get a modest-sized kit:

EF2458BD-7C35-4ADE-AE06-EACFF78A2392.jpeg

#49 Mendel Leisk, Mar 6, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    ozmatt likes this.
  10. ozmatt

ozmatt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Super handy Mendel, it's one of those things you think you don't need until you have one, then once you have one theres absolutely no living without it, I use mine every day for something or other, pretty sure it's 45L /2.5hp which is plenty big enough for general workshop use just not big enough for full car spray jobs! I don't paint, well not often and not full cars only bits n pieces..

I like the pancake, but with a "normal style" tank compressor at least you can change out the stop valve shut off relay assembly thing when it periodically fails, with a $12 eBay part

When I clean a car it gets blown out before vacuuming, hobby stuff, parts, computers, just everything.. a much needed piece of workshop, don't hesitate any longer you will use it much more than you may think, add to cart.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There’s a good movie with an elderly Bruce Dern; air compressors feature prominently. Called “Nebraska”.

Nebraska (2013) - IMDb

12. ozmatt

ozmatt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Lol not sure if I've seen nebraska, will put it on my list of things to watch over the coming winter months, of which I'm not looking forward to!

Our winters aren't even that cold (average 3-12c) but I still hate it. Give me more summer please!

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That’s so strange to hear, lol.

14. ozmatt

ozmatt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
  15. ozmatt

ozmatt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Mendel, how about this catch can :)

Will occ still do what it needs to up top or is there 100% need for it to be down low? I understand it's optimum to be low but if it needs to be emptied often and it's not a big issue having it up the top that may end up more practical for me

I understand you access your occ via the lower inspection cover, I generally do either 10,000km or 6 monthly seasonal oil changes which ever comes first if the can only needs to be emptied once per oil service I'm good with removing the cover, if it needs checking more often I'm leaning towards putting it up top unless there is efficiency issues, or oil pooling at the hose end of the pcv due to the uphill stream

16. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The carbon is not as hard as the valve or seat. But spaying it with carb cleaner should soften it up.
    And blowing it out the the compressed air.

ozmatt likes this.
  17. ozmatt

ozmatt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks for the reassurance Dogman, i will give it a gentle wash and blow out with the carb cleaner,

BTW the trouble i was having with cleaning the intake manifold was with the intake ports, not so much the egr passages, after cleaning the head ports i just could not stand to leave the buildup on manifold but i guess a lot of people would!

the oven cleaner has stained the metal studs and collets, doesnt really matter

broke one of the Etorx 6mm heads off throttle body stud, next time i try to remove one of those i will wd40 first and use impact tool, gently

mikey_t and ASRDogman like this.
  18. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Okay, you could have used a brass wired brush. Or maybe even a metal one, gently.
    Anyway to get it clean. :)

19. ozmatt

ozmatt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    trying to imagine what shape or style of brass brush would get down in there effectively

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Where I have mine mounted (off bracket atop trailing side of front cross/beam), I “think” you need to remove the full engine panel for access, not just that flap. That’s what I do with each oil change anyway, that happens every 6 months regardless of kms, which can be as low as 2000.

Doing that I’ll get somewhere around 60 cc in spring and 30 cc in fall (just less water I think). That said, others here seem to fill the Oil Catch Can much faster. You want to monitor pretty closely till you establish your collection rate.

Down low has vantages, and one significant disadvantage: the less convenient access. Lots here have mounted it to accessible from above, and it still is effective.