1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EGR cooler measurements

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Matt98svt, Feb 5, 2023.

1. Matt98svt

Matt98svt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Im getting ready to clean my EGR system for the first time and have been reading all the different methods to clean out the cooler. I have a medium sized ultrasonic cleaner that I hope to use after hitting it with a pressure washer but was hoping someone that has a extra EGR cooler laying around could give me the widest and longest measurements of this thing to see if I can get it into my ultrasonic cleaner. I know the whole part wont fit but hoping it will go in vertical and can flip it over doing 1/2 at a time. Thanks!

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Studs out, it's about 24 cm flange to flange, 31 cm diagonally, flange to end of bypass coolant pipe going down, 22 cm between the ends of the up and down coolant pipes, 11 or 12 cm across.

3. Matt98svt

Matt98svt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you so much

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just in case you opt to cork one end and fill it with solution of some sort:

Intake opening diameter (at exhaust): 20.9 mm
    exit opening diameter (at EGR valve): 25.7 mm

A #4 stopper works nicely for me with that 20.9 mm dimension, but you'd want to verify dimensions; I'm not sure stopper size numbers are universal.

Out of interest: would it be possible (if you had corked one end and poured a solution in), to clamp it with "something" that would ultrasonic vibrate it?

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I looked into that very thing when I was deciding how to best clean the EGR cooler.

Ultrasonic transducers are available that could be clamped to the side of the EGR cooler, however, you'd need to fill the coolant jacket that surrounds the EGR cooler core for this to work better.

I'd imagine that the transducer would be more efficient if it was working on a completely fluid filled cooler, instead of a liquid filled core surrounded by an air filled jacket around it.

I tried clamping my multitool (Festool clone) on the cooler and running (with no blade attached) to vibrate the EGR cooler with drain cleaner in it. It was only marginally effective.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Mendel Leisk likes this.