1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EGR delete or disabling through software

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Juntuner, Apr 30, 2021.

Tags:
  1. OptimusPriustus

OptimusPriustus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After im+egr+cooler cleaning i am seeing lowest MPG’s ever. On a long road trip (80-100kmh) 56MPG. I think thats good given that car has 215kkm on the clock. Weather was some -2…+5, lower grill blocked and 15” winter tires with spikes. Probably i cannot reach same with 17” summer tires and grilles open

p.s. here 98 is almost 10usd per gallon. So 56MPG is nice(y)

#81 OptimusPriustus, Apr 13, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
  2. luis perez

luis perez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Good day!

old post... let me try

In an effort to troubleshoot my 2014 Prius C after reading several threads, I decided to simply wait until the engine started right: In the mornings most of the times it shivered, as I drove at 25-35Mph, etc. yesterday morning it did not so right there and then I disconnected the EGR drive motor, MIL ensued. Yes, now the car drives as it used to do 30K+ miles ago. I was confused thinking the car was leaking coolant somewhere, now I am finally certain it is not. A radiator fan failure that went unnoticed for at least a week is part of the event history. The MIL never lit up while the fan failed or the HVAC compressor failed to start. The car does not burn oil.

I did catch a comment that once the ECU sees that there is "no EGR" then a "different map" is used, do you think that is the case? Would it be better to simply disconnect and let the system be "aware"?

3. Paladain55

Paladain55 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Disconnect is safe. I wouldn't do mechanical alterations outside of unplugging that electrical connector.

luis perez likes this.
  4. black_jmyntrn

black_jmyntrn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    well,, heh.. something like that, just you need a special ECU programmer like the one I have. Mine isn't through OBD2 port either, the new one they say works is through OBD2 and I should have one in hand soon that way I can see if it works compared to the other methods I use now, just hadn't gone down the EGR route, mainly making changes to US Spec PIP to have similar parameters to the JAPAN spec. Hope is when I run an emissions test with this other app, the changes still allow to meet CA smog reqs with something extra in there... that and this M20A motor swap. :)

also, I cant confirm hands-on yet, they say the new toyo/lex are encrypted and no canbus...

luis perez likes this.
  5. luis perez

luis perez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    ".......outside of unplugging that electrical connector..."

I am thinking that instead of simply leave something dangling, maybe simply find a separate motor & the connector, plug that motor to the ECU, the cut out connector to the installed EGR motor so noting can get to it's electrical port, and do not touch the original design. Every time you take apart something dirt will get in, no matter how careful you are.

I think this would work for two reasons (reality check, any comments more than welcomed):

a) The ECU wants to see a load saying "motor is here"
    b) When the ECU senses a plugged ECR the MIL light remains off. There is a chance that something will change to compensate and.

Does anybody want to sell a just an EGR motor that can fit a C and it's associated harness connector? =)

...special ECU programmer...
    Although I know enough about electronics to work with digital and analog systems and follow electronic diagrams, troubleshoot, understand timing charts, a bit of assembly from the days of Motorola, etc. I rather focus my scarce energy on storing the values from the 2009 Prius odometer EEPROM. I will need to keep that car running for 500K miles =). I hope I can avoid winding up doing some type of special programming, if that happens, I would really appreciate your help. As of now, for the 2009 has a blinking fuel gauge. In the past I did replace the caps and it worked just fine. I am now looking for spare time to take apart the entire thing, while breaking a few vent grills, and check the wiring is properly seated as recommended by other posters. I do remember that when I was putting all that stuff together it was after midnight, so sure, I may have missed properly seating the connectors to the inclination & acceleration sensors. When I take out the odometer assembly to check connections I will backup the EEPROM =) & do the re-calibration procedure.......

Just to confirm:
    It's now about one week after disconnecting the EGR motor. MPG went from 47 to 52.

Yup... all of this is outside any practices recommended by Toyota

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    See you when the head gasket lets go. ;)

7. luis perez

luis perez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    When that happens, I will let go of the car and send it to a junk yard, I will put and end to it lol.

It is outside of my capabilities to be cleaning an EGR and intake manifold every 40K miles, or replace a radiator fan every 50K miles or so. I already received a letter from Toyota that I have until November to report a problem with the auxiliary brake pump (ABS) or it will not be replaced in the future. Of course the auxiliary break pump is going to give away, I have flushed the fluid and in a few months the color changed back to dark. I have already fixed that in the 2009. The C has only 47K miles.

The cherry on the top: The beautiful blue paint is peeling off.

At some point, yup, you have to let go =) It is just natural.

bisco and Mendel Leisk like this.
  8. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You will still get a code and check engine when egr flow checking occurs.

luis perez likes this.
  9. DirkAshburn

DirkAshburn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Does different gas affect the EGR assembly? Because I cleaned mine around 140k miles and it wasn't that clogged at all. I really don't get how people need to clean it so often, or how some are just totally clogged up as I've seen in some videos. Are you putting in the lowest tier gas you can buy?

10. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It is bad when the low tension rings are burning oil and allowing excessive blowby. Gas has nothing to do with it. Some gas has better detergent additives for the injectors or back of the intake valves. No effect on exhaust hydrocarbons which end up in the egr cooler, the primary clog location. The egr valve and pipe don't get clogged.

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That sucks. Blizzard Pearl is known to peel, and blue too?

12. Paladain55

Paladain55 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nah stick with making sure you get the check engine light by unplugging the connector. Some guy on here tried to mess with a valve similar to you and it didn't work. I plug mine in and out and it does fine. Doesn't really dangle or get dirty.

13. luis perez

luis perez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    At least mine is.... =)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. luis perez

luis perez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Ok.... I had understood the computer did not care when the EGR system clogged somewhere, Ok, will cover both connectors and just let it be..

A poster recommended a "P10 Premium Smart Vehicle Digital HUD Head Up Display OBD2 Car Speed Projector", did get one, for 34 it's a good deal. Among other items it shows Ox trim data in real time. You can set alarms for eng. temp, bat volt. and speed. I can say that B batt is off in the P10. Temp reading seem OK. I set the alarm at 94C. Thermostat should be wide open at 93C from what I can understand. The 2014 Prius C I have has a battery voltage that depends on whether you are parked or driving.

FYI MPG is now hovering @ 53~55

15. GregC1979

GregC1979 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    According to my gauge, under wide open throttle the most I've gotten it open is about 65%. At idle however, you are correct. But WOT it's open, believe me.

16. GregC1979

GregC1979 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    They most certainly do have head gasket issues, just not on the scale of the Gen 3.

black_jmyntrn likes this.
  17. luis perez

luis perez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hello! In eBay found a ECU for a 2014 P C, less than 15.00 including S&H. From what I can understand from a 2010 Repair manual, first you do a VIN re-learn then initialize the ECM by running the engine in monitor mode. Is that correct? My current ECM is fine, I simply would like to have a spare on hand.

jakester21 likes this.