EGR & Intake Manifold Clean Results

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Rebound, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Sunday driver DIY’r

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @James Analytic I saw no reason to disconnect 12 volt for EGR, intake manifold cleaning, encountered no issues.

I definitely would (disconnect 12 volt) whenever brake caliper are being lifted off the rotors though; there's at least a couple of good reasons. Don't reconnect until everything is fully reassembled AND you've pushed the brake pedal multiple times, taken out any excess pedal travel.

I've done a full EGR clean once, intake manifold a couple of times, and had the throttle body off maybe 4 times. Only 88k kms on our 2010, but fwiw haven't replaced any gaskets yet. If I do the intake again, say in a few more years, I might replace all the pliable gaskets on the intake.

#461 Mendel Leisk, Oct 13, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    James Analytic likes this.
  2. James Analytic

James Analytic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm now thinking about the intake and MAF sensors cleaning while at it. Thinking for the throttle body to use some acetone on a rag and then spray the rag with some carb cleaner and wipe the throttle body clean. Throttle Body Cleaner that this MSDS section 3 shows as being pretty much Carb cleaner formula from Walmart (I know, not exactly the same though mostly Acetone, n-Heptane and Toluene... the CO2 will just gas off).

CRC 05678 Throttle Body & Air Intake Cleaner MSDS
    https://docs.crcindustries.com/MSDS/5678.pdf

Walmart Carb Cleaner:
    http://www.mrsi.org/SDS/super%20tech%20carburetor%20cleaner.pdf

Anyone used anything other than throttle body cleaner, thoughts or concerns?

Wondering about CRC MAF Sensor cleaner and maybe using CRC QD Electronics Contact cleaner capabilities:
    http://docs.crcindustries.com/msds/5110.pdf

QD Electronics Contact Cleaner
    http://docs.crcindustries.com/msds/72130e.pdf (best equivalent formula)
    http://docs.crcindustries.com/msds/3130.pdf (different propellant)

3. SB6

SB6 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    FWIW, I don't see any reason not to disconnect the 12V. I disconnected mine during my EGR, intake manifold, and throttle body cleaning as well as PCV valve replacement, and had no problems. I thought I remember reading that there was some concern of the throttle body or some other valve being in a different position than before/expected after cleaning, which was why it was recommended to disconnect the 12V? No idea if this is true, but I did it just in case.

As for what to use to clean the throttle body, I thought I read that you could strip some sort of coating in the throttle body if you used the wrong stuff? I just used CRC throttle body cleaner due to that.

As for the MAF and MAP sensors, those are pretty easy to do while doing the other stuff. They're supposedly very delicate, so all I did was spray them down with CRC MAF sensor cleaner. Also be careful not to strip the fasteners for those sensors.

#463 SB6, Oct 13, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Sunday driver DIY’r

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Some throttle bodies maybe have lube at the plate hinge points? If you just use carb cleaner sprayed on cloth you shouldn't have trouble.

CRC MAF sensor cleaner is what I used, the good stuff. FWIW it looked super clean to begin with.

5. James Analytic

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Was wondering what the technicalities are regarding. Didn't think about a coating or even the interfaces. Will go invest in a two pack of the CRC. I'll take photos as I disassemble to document to assure more I replace in the correct positions as found.

Just realized I don't have a 22mm either for the PCV Valve after watching this video, before I get past opening the hood.

The 7/8" probably will work... though thinking not a bad idea to invest in a 22mm while out to get the cleaners.

6. SB6

SB6 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You'll also need 22mm if you ever plan to do anything with the struts. Specifically, the 2 strut bolts connecting each strut to the steering knuckle (?).

7. James Analytic

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Glad you noted... I was wondering when searching and one 22mm socket suggested was related to struts. Haven't looked into replacing the struts yet, other than watching the Outer Cowel Top Pan Sub-Assembly removal in a video or two noting also allowing access to the struts.

8. James Analytic

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When I measured the PCV Valve intake shaft, I found is ~5/8". Decided after sticking my finger in the stock rubber ventilation hose to see how deep the ~5/8" depth is on the inside and finding chunks of carbon, and for a second I thought the plastic from the intake manifold since so crispy, as in the linked video and attached image... I decided I'm going to run 5/8" Fuel/PCV hose from the OCC. Man, that's huge and chunky stuff!!!

IMG2129.jpg

Unfortunately double delay with; no local 5/8" Fuel/EGR hose and UPS gave the package to USPS mid day, so the hose won't be at O'rielly's until 11am and the OCC won't be here until mid day tomorrow when USPS delivers. They wouldn't let me return the 5ft of 3/8" hose either since I returned, then got with the battery core gift card and the gal threw away the roll since I bought the last 10ft length off the role with SKU info.

Anyone want to perform a PCV Valve relocation since I'm not sure what I'm going to use the remaining hose for... maybe garden tractors though they're not usually over 1/4" line? :-|)

However, was a great disassembly first time run for me to get down to where I did. The PDF's with specs are super helpful to know what to torque to, have a visual for removal and install and are the procedures for the maintenance. Handy to use with the laptop, appreciate those Mendel as with everyone else's details being typed, photo or video!
    Also, was able to purchase the CRC Throttle Body & Air Intake and MAF sensor cleaner pack I found locally for ~$8. Will take another road trip at a later date for a Craftsman 22mm deep well impact. I'm trying to invest in better quality sockets like the E's that were a Craftsman set (or at least I hope they're real Craftsman).

#468 James Analytic, Oct 13, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    Mendel Leisk likes this.