1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EGR/Intake Service on 2013 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by qdllc, May 25, 2024.

1. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's a good point. And all the intake manifold needs is high pressure water anyway.

Nice!! Most people leave something unplugged the 1st time or two and get a trouble light. Well done.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I prefer brake cleaner and (mostly) elbow grease. Not copious brake cleaner either, just enough to loosen up the deposits, then “floss” the various passages, with rags/brushes. Use the brake cleaner over a catch pan, and if there’s enough to pool, pour that over a small tray of kitty litter, leave it out back to evaporate.

I appreciate time is money, especially in a pro environment, but pressure washing bothers me, especially for the intake manifold with its PCV supplied oil/gas/water cocktail. Our storm drains go directly into streams.

#22 Mendel Leisk, May 28, 2024
    Last edited: May 28, 2024
    jerrymildred likes this.
  3. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can appreciate the sentiment, but as one guy said…as relayed to him by the EPA…”the solution to pollution is dilution.” With enough water, toxic materials drop to a level that the environment can safely process.

My biggest beef with Toyota part websites is that you have to hunt for information. I had a replacement gaskets for the intake manifold (2 of 3) and the two for the intercooler. I didn’t have the one for the bend pipe to the EGR or the one where the throttle body connects to the intake manifold. Not that you must replace these, but it’s cheap insurance to have before you start the job. Old school part schematics were easier to see what related parts were involved. Now you have to look at every one because you don’t know on which one the part you need is shown. BMW is just as bad. :cautious:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Last time I cleaned ours I did replace gaskets, just the pliable ones on the intake manifold. I ordered them from Amayama, which still has a sane interface. And they’re cheaper, all the way from Japan or United Arab Emirates. And so far only charge shipping, nothing more. The few times I’ve tried, I’ve found US dealerships won’t ship to Canada, so there’s that lol.

regarding pollution, if I can use a method that’s just as thorough, if not more so, and a lot less dramatic, and only takes a little longer, and avoids a “raw dump” requiring “dilution”, I’ll go that route; Mother Nature’s already got a lot to do.

#24 Mendel Leisk, May 29, 2024
    Last edited: May 29, 2024