1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EGR, PCV, intake manifold Cleaning doesn't fix shudder/rough idle

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by RogersPruisC2014, Mar 24, 2022.

1. RogersPruisC2014

RogersPruisC2014 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I've been having the rough idle and shuddering with my engine and even some at speeds 20-30 mph. I unplugged the EGR which resulted in better performance though there is still the rough engine condition.

I cleaned the EGR, PCV valve, and intake manifold extensively and reinstalled/plugged back in which results in the same poor performance. To a degree it is better, but still no solution to the overall problem.

So I get the code P0403 which is "the engine control module (ECM) has detected the engine exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) circuit has malfunctioned"

Is there any prior experience with a complete cleaning, but no real improved result? Do I dare replace the EGR and see if that fixes the issue? Especially if it still produces a less degree of rough idling even when the EGR is unplugged.

Any insight will be appreciated!!

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Where did you look that "translation" up? I don't think it's quite right.

In a Gen 3 liftback repair manual (and I'll bet lunch it's the same for the c), the detection condition for P0403 is "open or short in EGR valve circuit". That is, it is strictly an electrical issue between the valve motor and ECM and the wiring and connectors in between.

The value of going to the right place to look up what the code means is that you then have a very good idea what sort of issue you need to be looking for and how to find it.

vvillovv likes this.
  3. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    But an EGR valve

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ?

Knowing whether the computer is telling you about a valve problem or about an electrical circuit problem ranks right up there with the most important information the car's self-diagnosis systems can give you.