1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EGR pipe cleaning

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JACoH, Aug 15, 2015.

1. JACoH

JACoH Enjoying the mileage

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    So, I noticed on youtube, a video showing how to clean the EGR tube on our Gen 3 models. I haven't seen much on this in our forums, but from the looks of the one in the video, it seems maybe this is a good idea. At least it might prevent the EGR valve from plugging up after our warranty runs out, and setting code P0401. I followed the video, which is super easy to perform, only needing a 10 mm wrench and/or socket with ratchet, and some brake cleaner or gumout with an old rag to clean the pipe out. I purchased a gasket, just in case, but I don't think it is necessary, the old one can be cleaned as it is metal.
    Mine was pretty filthy with a good amount of burnt carbon crap in it. It took me about an hour to complete, primarily because I clean everything as I go. So, you retired guys that are just looking for something to do can add this to your maintenance lists.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don't think it's that easy. I'll infer the "pipe" you're referencing is a short section of stainless tubing between the EGR valve and the intake manifold. I've cleaned it too, and as you said, it can pretty gummed up.

That's the most accessible part of the circuit, but really just the tip of the iceberg. The intake manifold as well is reported to get fouled. Then there's the EGR valve itself, and it's connection to the exhaust manifold. The latter has coolant hoses connected to it, complicating removal.

I've left it all alone for now, but it's bugging me.

3. Cortezz

Cortezz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The same story, it is bugging me 2 , in you tube no good videos about cleaning EGR valve

4. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Cleaned mine today. 2012 v wagon with 106k

Attached Files:

ak907 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  5. ak907

ak907 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Aaron, is that the whole thing as discussed above? Any disassembly pics or links to guides you followed? How challenging was it?

6. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is just the pipe. It isn't the whole EGR system. It was pretty easy to do this pipe. About 30 mins

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Is this weekend the big weekend of engine swapping:)?

8. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    sadly no. I'll be in Atlanta this weekend.