1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EGR replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by AzusaPrius, Feb 2, 2021.

1. PriusII&C

PriusII&C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    @AzusaPrius: The original ones look fine even after 160k miles. My 2012 has about 111k miles, so I still have plenty of time before to replace the spark plugs.

Just curious, what is the reason to replace them 3 times in less than 30k miles? Why not use the Denso ones?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I’d just use 120k or 12 years, whichever comes first. Maybe overkill, but that’s a long stretch.

mikey_t and Grit like this.
  3. PriusII&C

PriusII&C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    @Mendel Leisk: If you didn't mention it, I would have forgotten the 12 year limit.

4. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    @prius

I wanted to change them to see what was in there and it was about time anyway 10 years 160k on them since they were the original Denso.

I then got the E3 to test on the prius.
    Was getting some misfires after a while and switched them out for the Bosch double iridium for like 10k miles or so, then finally I got around to putting in the Pulstar plasma core iridium plugs while I was all in there swapping the egr and stuff.

I will say E3 honors their warranty, just send them in and say you had misfires and they will send you a new set, I was also getting misfires with the Bosch and put in the new E3 plugs I got back and just took them out, they have 4,217 miles on them and I will upload what they look like soon.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I started the car up today and it started right up.

I used an app to reset the learning values without disconnecting the battery and all is well.

The car is so much smoother and ECO mode feels like a tad bit under from being in POWER mode.

The feeling when the ICE kicks on is so much smoother and can barely tell now when it happens.

Before the maintenance I did I was experiencing some random cold start shakes.

From a dead stop and slow take off it would shake until you gave it more gas.

And long time ago when I had my old battery sometimes when at a stop and the ICE shut down it sounded like an old car.

I replaced the egr, intake manifold gasket, upstream O2 sensor and spark plugs.

Total night and day difference.

I would say to anyone in the same boat to clean their egr asap!

Below is a pic of the mpg I have been getting before all this and I will post another after a couple fill ups to show results. 20210205_112205.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

mikey_t and Mendel Leisk like this.