1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EGR Service in New Jersey?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by JSchnee, Jul 12, 2020.

1. JSchnee

JSchnee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello fellow Prius owners in NJ. I have a 2012 Gen3 that I drive -135 miles per day. I’m coming up on 120K miles. I’ve always had it serviced at my local dealer, but when I ask them about “specialty” Prius services — like cleaning the EGR — they always look at me like I’m crazy and refuse to do them.

Can any recommend reputable Prius specialty garages in NJ (preferably Central) that can do these more invoked PM type services?

I’ve had the dealer drain and fill the transaxle fluid every 30K, and the engine and inverter coolant every 50K. Already got new plugs. Synthetic oil and filter every 10K. Other than some squirrel damage to the rear wiper fluid line and a new 12V battery the car has been very reliable.

I try to check the oil frequently, but the dipstick is always “smeared” and the oil so translucent I have a heck of a time trying to get an accurate measure. I have many years of reading dipsticks but this one is just beyond me.

When I started commuting to PA daily about 3 years ago I put on new wider and lower profile rims and tires. What a huge improvement in handling and stability.

iPhone ? Pro

2. DBlotii

DBlotii Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The engine and inverter coolant are long-life formulations. They really are good for 10 year change intervals. I don't see any benefit to 30K mile transaxle oil change. Remember that every time a garage opens the fill and drain plugs it is an opportunity for dirt and dust to get in and an opportunity for something to get incorrectly torqued.

3. Bohemian Grove

Bohemian Grove Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My friend did mine. You also want to change the PCV valve, clean the Intake Manifold’s tiny holes within the large openings. At 190k my EGR Cooler was completely clogged, causing misfires!

I could ask if he’s up for the job again.