1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EGR Shaft Removal and Possible Disconection

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by VTPrius419, Mar 22, 2021.

1. VTPrius419

VTPrius419 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello everyone new to me 2010 Prius owner here with a few questions. So I took a risk and got a 2010 with 207,000 on her. Seems to burn no oil and not a speck of rust in Vermont of all places dealer maintained. So before getting it on the road I am doing all the basics EGR cooler and EGR cleaning, OCC, PCV, intake manifold cleaning, battery fan, plugs and full fluid change.

No one has been in this motor before and you can tell I was shocked to find the intake and egr cooler nasty but it wasn't nearly as bad as I had thought. You can even see a tiny bit of light through the cooler! My issue is can I remove the egr shaft from the housing to clean it and if so how? Seems almost tack welded on after so I guess I maybe out of luck there. Is there anything else really important while I have it torn down this far?

Also just for academics and all emissions issues aside just what will happen if I pull the EGR plug after I get it all back together? Will the ECU go into some weird limp home mode, will it just not run etc? I would think that it would be best to keep this pre burnt yuks out of the engine entirely there was a considerable amount of carbon buildup in the intake ports. Also ground of those silly Phillips screw and will replace with actual bolts. Thanks for any ideas.

2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    You are supposed to take off the nut opposite of the tab weld nuts .should be some clacking after things are back together but will smooth out,no limp mode

3. VTPrius419

VTPrius419 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sorry a bit lost here.. Where is this nut that needs to be removed? The only weld nuts I can think of were the ones at the rear of the EGR cooler.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, I didn't find the pintle to be removable. I think people are just shoving it up and down and trying to get it as clean as possible. Some people speak of lubricating it, though I haven't seen consensus on what to use for that, if anything.

To have the very cleanest intake ports after your next 207,000 miles, you should consider keeping the air and gasoline out of there too. Everything stays very clean that way.

If you had a diesel, where EGR is used only for emissions and costs MPG, you could do an "EGR delete" and enjoy more MPG (if you care nothing about emissions).

In a spark-ignition gasoline engine, where EGR is used for both emissions and better MPG, your proposed delete would have the opposite effect (again assuming you have no interest in the emissions part).

If the ECM knows you've unplugged the valve, it will log a P0401 code and light the check-engine light. You can put some black tape over that. Because the ECM knows the situation, it will fall back to a fail-safe policy of running the engine extra gently with extra-retarded ignition timing, so as to prevent damage.

Your other choice would be to restrict the flow in a way that the ECM does not notice. That would avoid the check-engine light and the fallback engine control and ignition timing. It would also be about the same as keeping the clogged EGR you had before cleaning, and carry roughly the same risk of engine damage, whatever that is.

5. VTPrius419

VTPrius419 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Funny haha

On a serious note in layman's terms how can sending hot pre burnt fuel back into the engine help with MPG? And also from reading the threads here I have come to the understanding that a clogged egr leads to high temp conditions that eventually cause a HG failure. If this is the case wouldn't preventing any exhaust gas from entering the intake stream be helpful to keep those temps down? Or perhaps it's more a matter of requiring a certain sweet temp spot if you will to become most efficient?

#5 VTPrius419, Mar 22, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2021
  6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What's already burned doesn't burn again. Whenever your engine demand is for less than full power, you need some way to make it burn less stuff. Without EGR, you restrict the amount of fuel/air going in, using a throttle plate. That makes the engine do work to pump vacuum against a closed throttle (this is the same work that "engine braking" does when you slow down in gear). The term for that is "pumping loss". WIth EGR, you can reduce the intake vacuum and reduce the pumping loss, just by mixing in stuff that won't burn. The reduction in pumping loss improves MPG.

That's the explanation a lay person would find very quickly by doing a web search on the topic.

The reason the MPG gain isn't seen on diesels is they already aren't using a throttle to control the power, so they don't have that pumping loss (and that's why, when you want engine braking in a diesel, you need a special mechanism, the Jacobs brake, to make it happen).

That is very commonly claimed here on PriusChat. I don't fully endorse it, but we can go with it for the purpose of your next question:

No, because again, the key fact about recirculated exhaust gas is it won't burn. Mixing it in with your fuel charge means the burn inside the cylinder will have a lower peak temperature and spread over a longer time. That's the whole point of doing it for emissions in the first place: NOx is formed during the hottest parts of the combustion cycle, and EGR keeps those peak temperatures below where NOx gets formed.

In other words, an assumption that EGR would increase in-cylinder temp would be not just a mistake, but flat backwards. Another way to spot the mistake would be to observe that "preventing any exhaust gas from entering the intake stream" is just what happens when the system is badly clogged. So is that good or bad? It probably isn't both.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  8. Mr. F

Mr. F Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Not remotely related to the question you asked, but right now is the best time to install some form of theft deterrent for your catalytic converter. I read about the issue on these forums long ago, but did not think it would happen to me in TX. Got a nasty surprise this January!