1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EGR shake questions

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by mlevenha, May 3, 2024.

1. mlevenha

mlevenha New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Trying to pressure test the cooling system, but I can't get any of the adapters from the AutoZone rental kit to fit. One almost does but it pops off. There was some decent pressure in the system when I took the cap off the reservoir, but it's been sitting for two days.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Add a T-connection to the hose leading to reservoir?

3. mlevenha

mlevenha New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Pressure test ended up not being necessary, checked the spark plugs again and #2 was soaked with coolant. Going to go ahead with seeing how drives without the o-ring on the coolant reservoir cap to keep the system from pressurizing. Drove a little around town, temps stable at 89-90C. Interested to see if it will shake and rattle the next time I start it. EGR still seems to be functioning normally with my modified ski jump. I will get HG stuff ordered shortly.

4. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ???:confused::eek:(n)
    You KNOW the head gasket is leaking. The plugs were "soaked" with coolant, and
    you're STILL going to drive it???????

So you decided to replace the whole engine, not just do the head gasket then?

5. mlevenha

mlevenha New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The risk assessment is low! Honestly, the rate of loss of coolant is very slow. With no pressure in the cooling system it will be even lower. I keep an eye on the level each time I drive. If it were to begin deteriorating (faster coolant consumption) I would reassess. But for now I think it's fine. I cranked the engine with the plugs out to see how much coolant would spray out, and there was no spray that was noticeable. The concern is hydro-locking on start-up right? I'm nowhere near that point. For context I have driven it for a few hours of drive time since topping up coolant, and I wasn't even totally sure if the level had dropped or not.

6. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
  7. PTS

PTS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Famous last words. With coolant leaking enough to be visible on a spark plug, hydrolock or misfires can slightly bend a piston rod. The car still runs but now there is a time bomb. One that might break after the head gasket job.

8. mlevenha

mlevenha New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I appreciate the concern. I'll only drive it if I have to. The wife's car doesn't get used that much so it's usually available.

9. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you play with fire, you're going to get burnt...
    By NOT driving it much, surely more coolant will leak into the cylinder.
    If you're lucky, (do you feel lucky? Well, Do ya?) The worst you have is a bent rod.
    If not, it will shoot through the block.

Be smart and don't drive it and have it towed when you decide to replace the gasket...
    Pull the plugs out, that way the person that does the head gasket won't drive the car
    into the bay, after a lot of coolant has leaked into the cylinder and the rod(s) get bent.

10. mlevenha

mlevenha New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Replaced the head gasket yesterday. Went fine for the most part. Very long and annoying job, took me about 14 hours. A decent chunk of that was cleaning all of the sealing surfaces. The sealant Toyota uses from the factory is very strong. It ran fine for an hour on the way home.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Post pics? Especially interesting is the top of head gasket.

EGR system and intake manifold cleaned as well? And of course throttle body while it’s off.

12. mlevenha

mlevenha New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll snap a couple of the head gasket later today when I head back down to clean up dad's garage. I left it in quite a state last night. It had clearly failed between the water jacket and cylinders 1 & 2. I didn't even look at the EGR because I cleaned it in May hoping to resolve the misfire on startup. I spent about a half hour wondering why it wouldn't start last night after the repair, it was because I had not fully reengaged the hybrid battery's safety disconnect :ROFLMAO:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Glad you got it running.

mlevenha likes this.