1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EGR system cleaned but check engine light still comes on

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by dbhart613, Jun 28, 2018.

1. dbhart613

dbhart613 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2012 gen 3 with 271,000 miles and the check engine light came on. I watched all the videos and have read all the posts about P0401 code (wish I had read 170,000 miles ago). The car has been using a qt of 0-20w about every 1,000 miles. I cleaned the intake manifold, throttle body and the sensor beside the throttle body, maf sensor, egr pipe, valve and cooler. I changed the coolant, pcv valve and plugs since everything was taken apart. After reinstalling everything the check engine light keeps coming back on with the same p0401 code. I have had the codes cleared twice and even unhook the battery 7 or 8 times. I checked the gas cap too. The check engine light seems to come back on around 80 to 120 miles after I clear the code. I did replace the 12 volt battery about a month ago but still original traction battery.

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

Some questions:
    • How dirty was the egr circuit?
    • Did you clean the little egr inlet passages on the intake manifold?
    • Is the plug on the egr valve seated correctly?
    • How is the mpg?
    Good luck and keep us posted (y).

3. dbhart613

dbhart613 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The cooler was completely stopped up and I used the drill and wire to get through all the passages. It's not 100% clean, still a little build up in there but can see through it. Yes I did clean the inlet passages on the manifold. The mpg have dropped off from 43-45 to 37-40. Not sure what your talking about the plug on the egr valve. The black cap with the electric plug-in is seated all the way flush against the housing. The round cylinder inside that screws on though I'm not sure. I've put it back tight and loose and neither one has worked. I read where one guy put a washer in there because the little nub on the plastic inside was wore but that seems like it would just hold the valve open. I did mark the round cylinder and the little nub faces down when tight and does not touch the tit sticking out of the washer holding the spring on the valve itself.

4. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Did you make sure the plunger on the egr valve goes up and down before reassembly?

How’s the wire harness condition for the egr valve. Any wire issues?

Any fuses blown?

5. dbhart613

dbhart613 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, I made sure the plunger moved freely up and down. When I cleaned that part I even made sure it was seating and not letting any cleaner come out until I pushed the plunger in. The wiring harness all look good but I have not checked fuses. I will do that this afternoon.

6. dbhart613

dbhart613 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, I made sure the plunger was free and I also made sure it was not leaking in the close position while I was cleaning it. The wiring harness seems ok and I will check fuses this afternoon. Thanks for the help.

7. dbhart613

dbhart613 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry for 2 posts but now I think I understand what plug on the egr valve you mentioned. I did unplug the connector and plug it back in to make sure it is seated good.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. dbhart613

dbhart613 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I made it about 140 miles today before the check engine light came back on.

9. dbhart613

dbhart613 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Checked all the fuses and they are good.

10. Luckykat32

Luckykat32 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had the same problem, a month ago I cleaned the IM & it's components, including the replacing the PCV, and 3 months ago I changed ALL the coils and spark plugs, then it threw the p0441, so this week I cleaned the egr & cooler. Reset the code and within 40 miles it gave me 4 codes:
    P0302, P0304, P0401, and P0441...

Is it possible that I didn't connect something or maybe didn't tighten down a bolt properly?

When I cleaned the egr the plunger moved freely, but when I installed it, it was a little more difficult to move up and down

Why would the 2 & 4 cylinders misfire after I cleaned the egr & cooler

11. dbhart613

dbhart613 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I found that if I left something unplugged the check engine light was on right away. Sorry I cant help too much because I have not figured mine out yet.

12. dbhart613

dbhart613 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Checked resistance on egr valve and all is good. Replaced map sensor and check engine light is still coming on. Any ideas anybody???

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Have you got the attached doc (the one with suffix "testing"), can't recall. I haven't read through it, but looks like you for sure need Techstream.

Just off the top of my head, if everything is clean, maybe swap in another EGR valve?

AliPK likes this.
  14. dbhart613

dbhart613 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Mendel Leisk, I have been thinking about finding another used egr valve and cooler and redo everything.

15. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There could be some dirt in the EGR and MAF sensor connectors? Each connection try contact cleaner on both ends (male & female) and allow to dry. If that helps then add a dab of dielectric grease to keep out the dust.

P0441 is the evap purge solenoid - could that be causing these problems? Could a disconnected solenoid or loose gas cap contribute to this?

Pixel XL ?

#15 mjoo, Jul 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Bay Stater likes this.
  16. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Burning 1qt every 1000 miles is a lot of oil. Are you sure the catalytic converter is not the cause of the check engine light?

Bay Stater and Raytheeagle like this.
  17. dbhart613

dbhart613 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I replaced the 12v battery a couple of months ago and we don't have to check emissions where I live so not sure about the catalytic converter. The only code it keeps showing is the p0401.

18. dbhart613

dbhart613 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I ordered a used egr valve and cooler. After I clean them up and install maybe it will fix the problem. I'm thinking it's a bad egr valve at this point.

Bay Stater likes this.
  19. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Did you take the black cap off of the egr valve and try to manually activate the plunger?

The valve could be coked up and not moving.

Worth a shot until you get the spare.

Bay Stater likes this.
  20. dbhart613

dbhart613 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, I sprayed brake cleaner inside of it while the plunger was open and shook it around to clean inside. I also sprayed more after it was cleaned and let go of the plunger to make sure the plunger was sealing good. After that I pushed the plunger back and forth to make sure it was not sticking. I have also taken it off about 6 more times since and tried to make sure it was not sticking.

Bay Stater likes this.