1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EGR Valve Cleaning: Best Procedure?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by pingd, Oct 6, 2019.

1. pingd

pingd Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Using the outstanding and unparalleled NAB youtube video "2010-2015 Toyota Prius EGR and EGR Cooler Cleanings for P0401 Code" as the reference. EGR Valve (P/N: 25620-37120).

(1) I see that a combination of Brake Clean and "Parts Wash" are used ... I've searched for "Parts Wash" and spray/aerosol/etc but can't find that particular product or equivalent (in the black spray can). Any ideas?

(2) I see how the EGR Valve is partially disassembled and cleaned.
    (i) Are "Parts Wash" and Brake Clean the most suitable cleaners?
    (ii) Can I use Purple Power Degreaser instead?
    (iii) Is there something I should avoid?
    Not asking for everything to avoid here ... just practical advice ... like "don't use brake or carb cleaner on the MAF ... use MAF cleaner" (i.e. AFAIK there's no specific "EGR Valve Cleaner" spray ... but there might be EGR Valve Kryptonite Spray!).

(3) The topmost part of the EGR Valve (black section) is not disassembled or cleaned directly.
    I think this part has some sort of plunger and magnet inside?
    What is the best procedure for cleaning it, for example:
    (a) is there a written/video guide somewhere?
    (b) don't take it off to clean as a separate part ... just clean it exactly the way NAB did
    My concern here is that if I clean it the wrong way, I might wash away some lubricant (i.e. unsure if there is some sort of internal lubricant I'll be washing away/not replacing).
    Alternatively, I'm also unsure if taking it apart and reassembling it is so fraught with risk that it is better left alone (i.e. what our friend tankyuong continually espouses, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it").

Thank you!

2. spiralhelix

spiralhelix Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    None of the parts are a concern to clean as long as you take the valve apart (don’t want to put the magnet or electronics in anything.
    Tube, cooler, valve body, elbow are fine to use all cleaners on.

I’m partial to ultrasonic cleaning since all you have to do is drop them in and wait. Basically the least amount of work, but not the fastest.

-Spiral

3. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The EGR valve is pretty easy to clean. It’s the cooler that’s a bear.

It seems as though the best results have been with Purple Power. It it doesn’t work, a slow-turning drill with a wire... but that would take forever, so I’d soak overnight in PurplePower first, if it was that bad.

You aren’t looking for shiny-bright, just clean the thick deposits and any clogs

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I first used brake cleaner on everything. That worked fine for the EGR valve and connector tube, but the EGR cooler wasn't really coming clean. On the suggestion of @mjoo here, I tried plugging the south end of the EGR cooler, and filling it with a hot water (hot as I could get from the tap) solution of powdered Oxi-Clean, as concentrated as I could make it. Shoot it in, let sit an hour, rinse and repeat.

With the amount of miles you have, a thin gauge wire might help, to mechanically break up the carbon, help the solution flow through.

Consider also using a pressure washer, around 2100 psi IIRC.

You can also use the Oxi on the intake manifold.

I would not use Oxi on the EGR valve, since it's body is aluminum. I also found I was able to clean the valve without diassemble. A little harder maybe, but OTOH maybe safer? Just spritz in a little carb or brake cleaner, run brushes/rags through. Avoid drenching the electronics end. At the valve, you can gently pry up on it's edge, just a bit, with a small blade or screwdriver, then run something like a wood paddle (popsicle stick for example) around the perimeter, with spritzes of carb cleaner.

Read the links I've posted, in particular @Rebound 's thread on EGR/Intake cleaning: lots of good info in there.

Also, maybe say @NutzAboutBolts instead of NAB, to avoid head-scratching?

NutzAboutBolts likes this.
  5. pingd

pingd Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Copy that Spiral and Rebound ... thanks for simplifying my jumble of questions , lol!
    (for the EGR cooler, I'm super lucky there, knowing mine would be very clogged I ordered a new one from ebay for $175 in advance)

So, if I'm understanding correctly, even the "black cap section" of the EGR Valve is easy to disassemble and reassemble?
    And I don't have to worry about lubricating it, nor orienting any of the internal parts? (ex magnet)
    [does the "black cap section" have a name?]

6. pingd

pingd Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Copy that also Sir Mendel:
    Don't use OxiClean on EGR cooler ... but OK to use OxiClean on the intake manifold
    @NutzAboutBolts instead of NAB
    Take a first pass at cleaning the EGR Valve without disassembly - as described above in post #4.

NutzAboutBolts and Mendel Leisk like this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    All good except: it is fine to use Oxi on the EGR cooler, it's stainless steel and that's the component that really needs it. Just don't use it on the EGR valve, it's aluminum

#7 Mendel Leisk, Oct 6, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  8. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Use a pressure washer on the cooler;).

Use an impact screwdriver to remove the screws from the black cap of the egr valve. If you use a regular screwdriver, you’ll find that you’ll strip the head of the screw:cool:.

Use MAF sensor cleaner on the MAP sensor:).

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

athlete11 likes this.
  9. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My HF right-angle ratchet screwdriver took those screws out with no hint of stripping or slipping. Easy!