1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EGR Valve, cooler, pipe...oops

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by bobzchemist, Jun 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Usually, I try to work in the morning while the house blocks the sun. But the sun is already overhead by 10am.
    I should be able to start by 10 tomorrow and be done by 10:30. The intake manifold is easy to install luckily!
    I guess I could replace the front pads today since the gasket won't arrive until tomorrow. But I don't want to turn the car on and I think you need to do that to turn the steering.

#41 ASRDogman, Jun 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  2. bobzchemist

bobzchemist Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  3. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, but it's not worth it. 98% of the time I just plan to do things earlier in the morning. This was a last second
    decision. The worst is over! :) I even decided to replace the front pads. Harder without being able to turn the wheels
    to get to the inner pads, but it was doable. And did it in the shade before the sun got up to high!
    Thank you for the inside though! :)

#43 ASRDogman, Jun 20, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2018
  4. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!
    I hooked Tech Stream up to clear any codes before starting, but the Check Hybrid warning was on the display.
    It took a while for T.S. to catch up, then I cleared all the codes I could find. The main one was the brake warning.
    I guess because I change the pad and hadn't pump the brake pedal yet. Seems after I did that it was okay.
    After clearing everything, it started. When the engine started, it was a little rough but smoothed out in less than a minute.
    No leaks, no extra parts either. Only took less than a cup of coolant that had spilled.
    It's seems to drive the same but it was okay before doing the EGR.
    Now I just have to find a SMALL OCcan and figure out where to put it.

mjoo and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you don't mind: what IS that in your avatar? Looks like a mountain lion...

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My bet it is a police dog training exercise;) .

7. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's a dog I just caught and was turning to absorb him.

Mendel Leisk and Raytheeagle like this.
  8. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So the mean neighbor dog is still asleep. (avatar)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ???? Don't understand?

10. bobzchemist

bobzchemist Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I bought one of these from ebay:
    SQUARE STYLE BILLET ALUMINUM ENGINE OIL CATCH RESERVOIR BREATHER TANK/CAN BLACK | eBay

It's 750ml, so not that big. Haven't installed it yet, but it's going to happen around July 4th, if I can get up early enough to avoid the heat.

There are cheaper ones available, but they are all round and look to be welded shut. The key to using a cheap one instead of a more expensive baffled one is being able to open it up and put in one or two of these:
    Scotch-Brite Stainless Steel Scrubbing Pads, 3 Pack - Walmart.com

The reason these work is that, unlike air, vaporized oil does not like turns, and has a tendency to deposit on surfaces when the air/oil mixture is forced to turn. The stainless steel scrubber provides lots of surfaces for this. You could also install a homemade baffle if you wanted to.

For anyone who needs to know this, these catch cans also make outstanding vacuum traps for use in the lab between a vacuum desiccator/vacuum oven and a vacuum pump. They are substantially cheaper than the vacuum traps specifically sold for this purpose, and they work just as well. Using one will significantly extend the life of your vacuum oil.

danlatu likes this.
  11. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ========
    This is the same one I bought, except mine is blue. I installed a short hose inside the inlet so the oil would be directed away
    from the outlet. But this is too big. It won't fit next to the inverter because the coolant hoses are there. At least on my 2010.
    I was going to put it behind the engine on the right side, but can't get to the drain. I was thinking of threading in a nipple and
    putting a hose on it with a plug so I could just suck out the oil. But this is for another day. :)
    When I do get around to doing it I will just get 2 45 degree angled fittings and run it right off the PCV valve, under the manifold,
    and up to the rear of the engine. Then a coupling to the hose to the intake manifold.
    You would think SOMEONE would design a reasonably priced OCC that would be a custom fit for the Prius.
    When I change the oil in 1500 miles I'll look and see if I can mount it underneath somewhere. :)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How comfortable are you with removing the air snorkel before the air filter box? IMHO it's unnecessary because the noise change is imperceptible. Removing that opens up a lot of space.

Pixel XL ?

13. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I removed it to clean the manifold. But if you meant LEAVE it off, would rather not. And it's designed to have it.
    Maybe try to mount it under it? mmmm
    I'll eventually find a spot for it. I'll figure it out. I'll use a regular shorter can or something.
    But they certainly don't leave you much room for anything. I've seen photos of then in 2010 Prius's, so I KNOW it can be done!
    Thanks for you suggestions though. Helps with the thinking.

mjoo likes this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I mounted a Moroso can on the lower cross beam in the engine bay. You've mentioned lower install, so that might work for you. If you bolt to the beam you want to use some sort of rubber washers, since that beam flexes whenever the front jacking point is used (it's the underside of that beam).

15. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ===
    That's kinda what I was thinking. I sure wish I had a lift! It would be so much easier!

Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  16. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'll just continue harping, per my post #2: you don't have to buy a replacement, and for $55 be prepared for a lot of cleaning, maybe worse than yours. And you never know, per OP, it may the wrong one lol.

Your car will be out of commision for about a day, no matter how you look at it. I would just clean the one you've got, save the $'s.

18. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have already done mine. Last week. It was sooted but overall in good shape So was the intake manifold.
    There was only a few drops of oil at the bottom of the manifold.
    Oven cleaner and gunk cleaned the cooler pretty easily.

They showed photos, not of the inside of course, NO ONE DOES! I called and they said it will fit.
    As the part number was the same as mine. I checked. :)
    And it was easy to clean. Maybe I had a cleaner one. I've seen videos of some there had the hardened
    carbon in them
    I will soak this one in Gunk for however many days it takes. And use oven cleaner So next time I clean it, I can just replace it.
    The job was easy for me and if I would have had a cooler already cleaned out and all the gaskets I would
    have been able to do the job in a few hours. But the hot sun and humidity is what slowed and stopped me.
    About 2 hours Tuesday. Heat stopped me. Less than 2 hours Wednesday. Again, heat stopped me
    Thursday I had the intake manifold gasket. About a hour Thursday.

I did not NEED this one, but for $55, why not?
    I don't understand this: "And you never know, per OP, it may the wrong one lol."
    What is "per OP"???

19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ok fair enough.

Yeah sorry about obscure acronym, I despise them myself. "OP" was for Original Poster, first poster in this thread.

20. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    "OP" Okay, gotcha! I SHOULD know that! :) Thanks!
    Also, next time I will order ALL the parts first! :) And use my brother's garage.

Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.