1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EGR Valve sticking

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Willy Toast, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Willy Toast

Willy Toast Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I am curious why no one seems to look at the EGR valve stem? My 2012 Prius v had only 59,000 miles on it and most of the EGR system was pretty good. However when I took off the EGR valve cover and unscrewed the rotor I found the valve stem was sticking pretty badly even though there was only a thin film -- can't get thick if valve still moves at all -- on the valve stem. I scraped the stem off with a small tool through the inlet (exhaust side) port and added lithium grease while manually moving the valve stem about a 100 times. It made a real difference in how my Prius ran.
    It got rid of the nasty idle damper knock though there is still a strange rumble on light acceleration.

Also the Canadian Toyota warranty extension W11 specifically refers to this issue.

Question: Why is this not one of the first points of focus when looking at the EGR system faults; Especially at lower mileage? (Attn ChapmanF, Mendel Leisk, Ragingfit)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Dealers will replace the egr valve and cooler rather than cleaning them; the diy crowd just cleans them like you did. The cooler is difficult to remove, often overlooked and clogs sooner so its the star of the show.

pjksr02 likes this.
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    No one is a big category;).

The dozen or so egr's I've cleaned guess what I've done:whistle:.

The screws require an impact screwdriver to remove due to the dissimilar materials of construction, but the impact screwdriver is the right tool for the job:).

I don't know if another way to clean the seating area for the plunger, so I take the screws off and give it a thorough cleanse(y).

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Willy Toast

Willy Toast Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    In my case at first I was thinking the intake manifold ports and the EGR cooler were too clean to be a problem. But then I found that the valve stem was sticking anyway. The valve is an unusual design where in the open position the part of the stem that goes into the packing is exposed to the flow.

5. Willy Toast

Willy Toast Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I am a bit of a valve guy. This is an odd design where in the open position the stem is fully out in the moving flow. When it shuts it pulls into the packing area bringing whatever along with it. It does not take much to stick.

6. Willy Toast

Willy Toast Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I wonder if the valve stem surface is as important as the plunger seat area? The plunger seat applies only when fully shut. The stem might prevent it from getting fully shut. Don't really know what that meant in terms of engine behavior and damper rattle.

To clean the stem one must also take the valve off the EGR cooler as with your full cleaning. Then you can see all the stem that sits in the flow when it is open.
    If you remove the cap and spin off the rotor you can push most of the stem out for scaping. Mine had a coating of carbon on all the stem that you could expose buy manually opening the valve. I did not attempt to take the stem out of the valve just scraped what i could -- I used a hook for the back side -- and added grease then pressed the stem about ten times wiped off the now dirty grease and repeated adding a little fresh grease again. I did this a few times to reduce the ratio of carbon to grease in the stem packing guide area. I was careful to remove excess grease with a rag before spinning the rotor back on and reassembling.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe recheck it before too long; see how that grease is working. They come from the factory without grease; you’re making a change. Might be for the better, but who knows.

8. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The grease will probably harden up from the heat and exhaust gas. Which will probably cause
    it to want to stick.
    I think(not sure) that the guide is like for the head, bronse. They do not need lubrication.

9. Willy Toast

Willy Toast Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The stem is a yellow metal, brass alloy. The grease I picked is similar in appearance to the rotor thread grease used by Toyota on the stem top. The stem bearing design does not seem suitable for carbon deposits. In 2013 they may have corrected this design.
    None the less it moved better with the grease added than with the carbon deposit alone. I no longer have the heavy start shake only a weakness rumble upon light acceleration. Otherwise very nice at highway speed.
    I did not want to try getting the stem out of the valve.
    Correction/Clarification: Access to the stem for scraping is through the port where the angle piece is; not from cooler port.

10. Willy Toast

Willy Toast Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I agree. I only did this as a temporary fix. I may buy a new valve as a spare about $250.00. Dealer indicated I may have a chance at warranty but I want to figure out the other problem the rumble on light acceleration before I make a dealer appointment. Does a scanner help with this?

11. wheezyglider

wheezyglider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    In my fuzzy memory is a notion that if the valve is replaced with a newer revision then one is meant to update the ECU. (Based IIRC on the EGR Valve-related TSB, apologies for not digging up a firm reference.) I wonder if anyone has DIY'ed that using Techstream. I wouldn't worry about it until just before (or more probably just after) clicking the "buy it now" button on a new EGR valve...

12. Willy Toast

Willy Toast Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    That right there is an update to the ECU involved. If I install the new EGR valve with the new part number I will certainly have the dealer do that work.
    I have a few other jobs to complete first. The PCV valve, check the damper area and change the transmission fluid first. Plus some general engine rumble possible causes in video research before I am ready to approach the dealer.

13. wheezyglider

wheezyglider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    That TSB regarding the sticking EGR valve was hard enough to find that I'm putting its info here:
    T-SB-0027-16 MIL "ON" DTC P0401 and/or Rattle After Cold Soak

[The copy I found on PC didn't have all the pages. But the one on tsbsearch.com did, including the ECU update instructions.]

I had actually forgotten that Toyota officially linked the cold start rattle to the sticking EGR valve. (And my 2010 still rattles occasionally on start up, without coolant loss. When I cleaned the EGR circuit I wasn't able to get the valve open.)

Attached Files:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What do they mean by cold "soak"?
    The extra fuel for a cold start???

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    They mean sitting powered off for long enough that everything has come down to surrounding cold temperatures.

Sort of like the more commonly-heard "heat soak", just in the other direction.

wheezyglider likes this.
  16. Willy Toast

Willy Toast Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I guess I was lucky the two screws came of easily and I was able to confirm that the stem was sticking in place. Did not take much to get it moving more freely. I believe my vehicle has a worn damper plate. I have identical conditions to another posting where the damper was swapped out for a new one. The sticking EGR probably just made the worn damper condition really noisy and rattling.