1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

eHarmony failure

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, Jun 30, 2010.

1. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hmmm. I tried googling HCG weight loss. One article that I found was at: HCG Diet: Look Elsewhere for Weight Loss

A teaser quote:

I think I will continue with caloric restriction as a means of losing weight. Besides, the back pain provides a wonderful motivational feedback - eat and experience pain; stop eating (aka caloric restriction) and in a day or two the pain goes away and I have managed to lose around 5 lbs.

2. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    HCG of all things ?! Ask pregnant women how the weight-loss is going.
    Quackery will never end.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That is sick! Get a dog, for crying out loud! Or better yet, five or six cats!

I think you've just described 8 out of ten PEOPLE, not just women or just pretty women. And having spent an afternoon around and about Portland with Octavia, I can say there's nothing wrong with her, physically or mentally, except that she thinks tea is good to drink. And that's a shortcoming I could live with.

This is quackery of the worst kind! Diet medicines that actually work (such as the now-banned Eskatrol) have a powerful backlash when you stop taking them, causing you to put all your weight back on, and serious side-effects if you continue taking them. And non-regulated medicines (of all types) have inconsistent strength from one batch to the next and often contain ingredients not listed on the label, some of which are powerful prescription drugs with serious side effects and consequences for people with counter-indicating conditions, as well as serious interactions with other medicines you may be taking.

Apparently this HCG does not actually work, but there are illegal diet medicines that actually do work, at the same time as they cause serious harm to your body.

Weight control is a simple matter of calories in vs calories out. Eat less and exercise more is the ONLY way to lose weight.

I've always believed this (though I lied a bit on the eHarmony questionnaire, out of boredom). I guess if you're just looking for a one-night stand, you can afford to lie. But if you want to actually spend quality time with someone, the truth will out. It's really rather shocking how many people have advised me to lie about myself. It's not that I have moral compunctions about lying. I'm just not all that good at it.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree. I wanted to point out that it's unlikely that your current weight is a significant barrier as you seek new personal relationships.

5. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ah, yes. The Funny Hat diet. Someday I'm going to make millions marketing the Funny Hat diet. Guaranteed to make you lose weight. All you do is eat a lot less, exercise more, and wear The Funny Hat (available for only $500.00!). Watch your weight go down!

3 people like this.
  6. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have closed my eHarmony account. I told them it was because their bait-and-switch advertising is dishonest.

7. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Try Scienceconnection.com - for those that have some interest in science. Cost: $85

8. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's interesting to observe the parallel between eHarmony and the FDA.

eHarmony sells their service based on the impression that they have compatible people in their database. They make their money off of connecting these people. But there are also people who don't match up with anyone in their database. It's rather like the smoky bar. Some people probably meet the love of their life in such places. A few others score for the evening. But most just spend their money and time getting assaulted by noise, smoke, and intoxicating drinks.

The FDA's service is to provide judgment as to the truth of medical claims presented to them. They receive money from both taxes and fees from those who wish to have their claims approved. If nobody presents a claim and pays the required fees, then no approval is forthcoming. Lack of study is treated the same as having studied a claim and found it invalid.

The rejects from eHarmony and the FDA share a similar stamp of disapproval. If you aren't approved, then there must be something wrong with you. The problem is that maybe the person/product just wasn't available in their database.

Daniel, give up on eHarmony. It's just a smoky bar where people you would like wouldn't even visit.

As for HCG, obviously nobody has presented claims to the FDA, paid their fees, and gotten them approved. Lack of study hardly qualifies as scientific evidence.

As for the available evidence, there are thousands of people on YouTube and Yahoo Groups who have reported their experience with HCG. Many of these people have managed an end run around the vehement disapproval of authorities like the FDA. While there are doctors who use HCG in weight control programs, they generally charge thousands of dollars for their service. And there are lots of hucksters who maintain that HCG has to be accompanied with hundreds of dollars worth of their products. All for a product that is easily available on the internet for under $100.

I sifted through many of the stories, learned how to use HCG, and now my scale reads 25 pounds less. Happy customer.:)

9. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I am not a physician, but I would be extremely wary of any diet claiming dramatic weight loss, especially in the lbs per day. That level of weight loss is simply not healthy for your body.

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My wife tried one that would let her lose 150 pounds of dead weight in a day, but I wouldn't give her a divorce.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I *am* a physician, and I'll say it again: this is quackery.

12. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What is quackery - the 'diet drug', or the statement by a_grey_prius?

It's not quackery if he says he isn't a doctor, is it?

As a veteran of (too) many years of weight loss "miracles", I'd like to tell you all that they are ALL bunkum.

Best thing you can do, is eat real food. Not too much. Mostly plants.
    [yes, that's a quote from someone else] Also, get out and use that body, every day. Nothing too strenuous for too long, but at least go for a walk, if you can.

13. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    ^^ the diet drug. Sorry for the lack of clarity.

14. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sounds like Eskatrol is something to avoid. I never heard of it before.

As for regaining weight, the experience with HCG seems to be that the lower weight is maintained even after the HCG is stopped. Probably because the diet teaches people how to exist on less food. I know I buy a lot fewer bags of chips now than I did before the diet.

HCG is available as a prescription medicine. The Hucog brand that is available online is pharmaceutical quality.

Oh really. I lost 25 pounds in about 5 weeks. There are lots of similar reports on YouTube and the Yahoo Groups.

Bingo! The HCG mobilizes fat and other nutrients that would normally remain in storage. Since the mobilized fat is available for normal metabolism, it's not necessary to consume as much external food. So, calories in goes way down, and calories out stays about the same.

I expected to feel weak and irritable while on such a low calorie diet. But I was pleasantly surprised to experience increased stamina and none of the hunger pangs that CRON people seem to worship.

You can't use HCG continuously (the weight loss effect seems to wear out after about 6 weeks), but it would be nice if you could. Maybe the increased stamina and feeling of well being would continue even without the low calorie diet. I haven't seen any reports on that.

Women produce about 1000 times the dosage used for the diet. A thousand to one difference might produce different effects...

Yeah, it shows. The term "quack" is generally used by one doctor to disapprove of what another doctor does. It is simply name calling, and carries no information other than disapproval. I don't find name calling to be a very convincing argument.

15. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I was thinking about producing a diet 'device' a while ago. It looks very similar to a dime. The user would be instructed to place the device on the tip of their tongue and as they experienced a desire for food, they would press the device up against the roof of their mouth. After a few days of just drinking water and pressing the device up against the roof of their mouth, they would be able to show close to 5 lbs. of weight loss.

My 'device' is certainly as effective as HCG but without the risks. I didn't pursue commercialization due to not being able to secure patent protection for the device. Something about 'obviousness'. :confused:

16. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Testing serves a purpose: It shows whether a drug is effective or not, and whether a drug is safe or not. Every drug that actually does anything, does many things. That's how our bodies are. Testing shows us what various things the drug does. A doctor can then make an educated guess as to whether, in your particular case, the benefits outweigh the harm.

When a company markets a drug like HGC without testing, you do not know what the harmful effects are. You don't know what the interactions may be with the other drugs and supplements you are taking. And when they sell the drug on the black market, you don't even know what's really in it. It may be the claimed drug, or it may be something else. Or it may be a combination of drugs. It may contain amphetamines or amphetamine analogs which are VERY EFFECTIVE at taking the pounds off, but do serious damage to your body at the same time.

The FDA is FAR from perfect. It is far too lenient in allowing stuff on the market that should not be. But drugs that are marketed without testing, and without labeling oversight to assure that the ingredients and dosages are as claimed, are like playing Russian Roulette: You don't know what you're getting, or what the dosage is, or what it does. Taking that stuff is a good way to nominate yourself for the Darwin Awards.

Eat healthy, eat less, and exercise. That's the only healthy way to lose weight.

If you have really lost 25 lbs on HGC, it's probably got amphetamine or ephedra in it. Or else it's not doing anything at all and you lost the weight because you have actually cut back enough on your calories.

Cocaine is another drug that is very effective at weight loss. It will almost certainly get you down to a healthy weight and then below it if you live long enough. Of course, if it doesn't kill you outright, it'll turn you into such a raving psychotic that you'll probably end up picking a fight with a biker gang. Are you going to complain that the FDA won't make cocaine legal? It certainly does work for weight loss.

17. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure it's popular among models and trust-fund-baby chicks at NYU for a reason. :)

18. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Daniel, since eHarmony didn't work for you, how about going back to video dating:

Tom

19. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Daniel, you may be thinking of phenylcyclidine aka 'angel dust' or PCP. The stories of what people did while under the influence of the drug induced paranoid psychosis were horrifying.

As for Rob, he like so many others is convinced that his problems are going away as soon as he finds the right pill. The irony is that their never-ending cycles of disappointment just lead to ever crazier chemical ingestions.

Dieting is nowhere near as simple as *just* keeping an energy balance, because though true, calorie regulation (like thermo-regulation) is really complicated and for the most part not well understood in scientific terms. It is analogous to saying "what's the big deal ? Just stay at 37 C."

Empirically we know that fat dense foods, calorie dense foods, sedentary lifestyles, and for lack of a better description, "depressed" feelings push the functional caloriestat higher. So the best (and it is not bad, considering the ignorance) medicine can say is: stay active and involved in life, exercise, and eat a diet of unprocessed foods with high water content. Think soup.

20. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Back? I think video dating is the only thing I never tried. But I'm pretty well resigned to the fact that I'm not going to find a girlfriend, probably not even going to get a date, and not going to get laid unless I pay (probably quite a lot) for it.

I gave eharmony a try because it was recommended to me by the counselor I am seeing. I never expected it to work for me, even if they had not rejected me. When you are 62 years old and the sun has risen in the east every single day, without fail, you build up a high degree of confidence that it will do so again tomorrow. And when the answer is consistently always NO, you pretty much know that it's always going to be NO. At least I can afford to travel to cool places and do fun things.