1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Eibach Springs and KYB Struts REVIEW

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by F8L, May 16, 2011.

1. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Man F8L, you were maintaining some serious speeds through those S'es. You must know those backroads very well. But it is amazing what some springs and upsized wheels and tires can do for handling. Allows for some ridiculous handling...
    Speaking of ridiculous, that 300C limo in your first video was plan stupid... seriously!

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree. When I turned the corner and saw the limo I was like Wth?

The upsixed wheels make a huge difference in handling. I would say they make the most difference but you have to get used to "setting" the car into a turn by getting the body to reach maximum sway before you hit the tightest portion of the turn. That keeps the car as stable as it's going to get. With the lowering springs you don't have much sway at all so it is much easier to carry higher speeds into a turn. I think a nice set of front and rear sway bars would complete the package but I honestly don't feel like I need them. It would just be icing on the cake. Especially when pesky BMWs and such get behind me on that road and think that they are going to be stuck behind a slow Prius. :D

I could have gone a bit faster but it's hard to hold the cell phone and drive at the same time.

3. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is the second part of the video. I had to pull over and let the other cars get ahead some. Then a Mini got in the way. Ugg

4. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How much difference do you notice in the ride?

5. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Haha... those Minis are always getting in the way of fun. :rolleyes:
    I know what you mean about those upsized wheels. When I had 17s, the handling, and high speed stability, was very nice - even without handling mods. My Prius has a STB, Tanabe springs, and CUSCO power brace, but initially, with the new 16" Contis, it was still very resistant to turn-in. Now that the tires have worn-in, my Prius rotates so smoothly around turns, and I could feather the balance with the throttle. I thought about a rear sway, but with the handling now, I think I could live without it.
    Sorry to thread jack, but thanks for the feedback and videos. For your safety, I'm going to recommend this. LOL
    Motorsport Racing On Board Camera: HD Motorsports HERO

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It is a pretty big difference in the ride. If you maintain soft tires and/or low tire pressure then it wouldn't be bad at all but with rock hard 17"+ tires then the ride may be a bit too bouncy for some people. I compare it to my lower C5 Vette but with less bounce (I shaved the bump stops on the Vette). It has that same kind of short bounce when you hit bumps instead of the long drawn out rebounding you feel with the stock springs. The sway is almost completely gone so cornering is MUCH improved but if you were to keep the OEM 15" wheels I think cornering ability would be severely hampered due to sidewall flex and roll over. The 17s make a very large difference. Even if you kept the 15s the body roll would still be much reduced.

I'd be happy to let you drive it if you are considering the mod. I'm in Lincoln at least once a week.

Here was the C5. You can imagine how bumpy this ride was. lol
    [​IMG]

7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think 16s are a nice compromise between the mushy 15s and the harder 17s. With all those mods I bet the car handles MUCH better. I looks better too!

I have a nice video camera and tripod at work but when I went to hook it up before those videos were shot I realized someone had left the camera on and killed the battery so the Android phone had to suffice. I forgot to turn off the music though. :rolleyes: Thanks for the link!

8. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the offer, but I don't plan change the wheels or to do much to the suspension. Maybe add some mild sway bars and most likely some better shocks if they become available for the Gen III. At 7k miles my original shocks are already showing signs of weakness on undulating roads.

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hey Justin, just a thought and concern. I wouldn't put those videos of going over the posted sign, out on the internet.

1 person likes this.
  10. LIPriusFreak

LIPriusFreak Can I haz JDM?

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dennis,

you need to come out with me one night or at least hang at my house.......you worry too much :p

11. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have done something similar and I ended up taking my video down due to feedbacks. I do not know, maybe this is different. :)

12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have never had issues with posting my racing videos before but who knows. :)

13. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ok, were they in the track or on the public road?

14. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Public roads and the track. :) If people can do this kinda stuff and not get in trouble, I think I am safe. :)

15. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think you're safe F8L. I mean, isn't this a microcosm of the ex post facto law, which is illegal in the US? Nobody can retroactively incriminate you since they didn't catch you in the act.

16. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In California the posted corner speeds (on yellow signs) are just recommendations, not legal limits. Seriously.

No law was broken because those weren't speed limit signs....And that's not what no "ex post facto laws" means. An "ex post facto" law is a law that is passed after the fact so it is saying you can't be prosecuted for violating a law that didn't exist at the time you did your deed.

17. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    FTR, i know what the ex post facto law is. I couldn't think of anything else close to describe what I was saying though, hence I referred to it as a microcosm.

18. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    heh, I would say so ;)
    C'était un Rendezvous by director Claude Lelouch
    the longest single take action sequence in history

permission wasnt given for this stunt, so a 6.3ltre Mercedes 450 SEL was equipped with a camera and taken onto the streets of Paris in the early morning. No roads were blocked off, the car went through 16 red lights and achieved its maximum speed of 146 MPH. The sound of a Ferrari 275GTB was over dubbed later.

the shoot is not speeded up

1 person likes this.
  19. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm laughing at all the scared pigeons in that video. Thanks for posting it!
    Reminds me of the old Ghostrider videos.

20. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can help you out there. :)

Yeah, about that....I can hear road noise - is there a problem with your system? :p