1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Eibach Springs + (Koni or KYB)?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Tyndall, Mar 10, 2018.

?
  1. Koni

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. KYB

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Tyndall

Tyndall Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    After 175k miles, it's time to revamp the ride! I've decided on Eibach springs to lower the Prius 1" since I'm taking off the struts anyway. I'm undecided on paying more for the Koni FSD Strtuc/Shock package, or just installing the KYB struts/shocks.

Here's what I've found for the best pricing on each:
    Tirerack.com Koni FSD Damper set - $556
    - versus -
    Rockauto.com KYB GR-2/EXCEL-G Strut/Shock Package - $380

Does anyone have either of these combinations and could provide input? My only concern is with the Eibach + Koni combination it will be too stiff. This is a commuter/road trip vehicle.

Thanks!

James Powers likes this.
  2. James Powers

James Powers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have the KYB on mine with H&R lowering springs. The ride is very comfortable. Noticeably stiffer but my kids aren't bobble heads on the freeway. It handles way better in the corners as well. Excellent upgrade.

3. PutPutMobile

PutPutMobile Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    IMO.. I had KYB's in my 92 prelude back in the days with Tein S Tech springs... They are kinda stiff, but if you willing to burn some more cash, Koni is the way because it has more stability than KYB... Koni has been making great shocks for a long time just like KYB.. I remember my friend had Koni yellows and eibach sportsline with his integra.. Great ride and more comfortable than my prelude... It's more of a personal preference..

James Powers likes this.
  4. Joele3

Joele3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Running the same setup currently. Koni FSD and on eibach springs. OEM are kyb struts. I can tell you when I would go over big dips my car would catch air with the KYB ( worn ) though. Once I put in the FSD it felt like car was much more planted. Big dips would come but my car wouldn't catch air I can feel FSD pull the car back down. Going over big bumps with the FSD absorbs much better vs KYB. Big difference in the cylinder size looking at the FSD and KYB.

Tyndall and James Powers like this.