1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Eight Years of Mileage Tracking and Pretty Charts

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by TonyPSchaefer, Oct 13, 2012.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have logged every tank for the last eight years (check signature). Every once and a while I decide to look at the data in different ways. Today I decided to check my average per-tank mileage based on the average temperature during that tank. A note about average temp: I take the high and low temps of each day and average them all together to get the average temp for the tank. It's not scientific but neither am I. I drive to work when it's very cold and I drive home when it's very warm. For my record keeping, I'm close enough.

I created the first tab (located in the bottom-left) by taking all the tanks, sorting them by temperature and charting where the tank mileage fell. But I noticed that some years were better/worse than others and that made for a jagged line.
    So I created the second chart in which I broke out the individual years. That one shows each year separately and tells me that 2008 was my best year on record.

Anyway, here are a couple charts showing my per-tank mileage charted against the average temperature during that tank: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5209940/MileageLog/MileageAtTemperature.htm

Enjoy!

zubero, ajbdiaz, F8L and 4 others like this.
  2. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks Tony. It's interesting to see how clearly it shows the increase in MPG with temperature.

I see a similar temperature effect, with maximum MPG's usually achieved about 70 to 75F, but then leveling off and eventually declining slightly, due to combination of A/C usage and warm traction battery issues.

BTW. Did you ever sort out the issue with the drop in MPG after your last service? What did the Dealership do to My Car? | PriusChat

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    uart, I normally turn on the heat when the morning temp is lower than freezing. The A/C normally comes on when it's very hot and very humid. In both cases, it's usually the lowest fan setting. For heat, it's set to 65˚; for A/C, it's set to 85˚.

About the reduced mileage after the dealer trip, Braddles.au posted something for me to check just today.
    What did the Dealership do to My Car? | Page 2 | PriusChat

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not going to look at it. Winter is coming and I don't want to start feeling down just yet. :p