1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

elearnaid/Optima replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by archae86, Jun 27, 2019.

1. archae86

archae86 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If 12V posts bore you, please skip on.

My 2006 Prius Battery elearnaid/Optima experiences so far:

OEM battery used from purchase in early 2006 through early 2011. In 2011 for some time the key fob was not recognized remotely (had to insert the fob into the "key slot" to operate the car). I think there were one or two other oddities. I concluded this was a symptom of a weakening 12V battery, and indeed replacing the battery fixed the problems.

The elearnaid kit specifically for modifying a Japanese-post Gen 2 Prius to use a US-Post Optima battery was installed in January 2011.

In early 2014 the door was left open for many hours, discharging the 12V battery to 4V. I kept it in service.

Starting in early 2015 I made a monthly practice of topping up the 12V battery using a Battery Tender Plus. Typically it would spend 1 to 3 hours in the initial phase (1.3A charge, limited to 14V), and then would continue in the second phase until timing out at about nine additional hours. This second phase maintains a constant voltage at the charger end of the cable of about 14.3V, decreasing the charging current as required to honor that limit. Because of cable resistance, the actual voltage applied to the battery rises, from about 14V to about 14.3 or so.

In June 2019, my monthly charging session did not move on from first to second phase after about eight elapsed hours. A meter check at Prius fuse box point showed only 12.06V with the charger still running at 1.3A. I disconnected the battery tender and over the next few hours the voltage at that test point dropped slowly to 11.76. As it had charged properly a few weeks earlier, I judged that one cell in the Optima had failed recently.

As the U.S.-spec connectors were now in the car, my most obvious options were to buy another U.S. spec Optima battery and use the hardware in my car, or to take the car to the Toyota dealer--confess my deviation, and imagine they could put standard attachment hardware back in place, and install the standard Toyota battery for some tongue-lashing and an additional price.

As the Optima had given me about 8.5 years service, despite the insult of one deep-discharge incident without any car misbehavior at all, while the OEM battery had less than five years of service (without a discharge insult) before observable car trouble, I made the snap decision to buy another Optima from elearnaid.

Elearnaid still has a web page for the kit I bought, but clearly suggests no one should buy it. Now that Optima has a skinny-post model compatible with original Gen2 hardware they suggest that one unless you have previously done the US post conversion, or if you have previously converted they suggest buying just the battery. For $220 including good shipping I purchased the US Post Optima of the exact same dimensions I'd bought previously.

On arrival, the battery measured 12.77V. I put it on the Battery Tender Plus and it spent 3 hours in the first phase (so only adding about 4 AHr). The date sticker implied it was manufactured two months ago. I think the battery arrived in a healthy state. No country of manufacture or assembly was indicated.

While I still had the original elearnaid installation instructions, I was comforted by checking a few Youtube videos on the general topic of Gen2 Prius battery changes.

The one I personally liked best of the three I checked was:

I'm not very car-handy at all, and had a fair number of little troubles, such as finding it hard to get the white plastic connectors to release, and dropping a socket extender into the battery well, but all came right in the end.

Questions that may be of interest to other people who made the elearnaid fat-post conversion and installed an Optima years ago:

1. Is monthly topping up with a Battery Tender Plus life-extending? (in my case it appears to have served as a useful early warning of a failing battery).
    2. Is there a better US post alternative that fits, compared to the Optima?
    3. How much would a Toyota dealer charge to back-convert to original post clamps?
    4. Is keeping the US post clamps going to harm re-sale value?
    5. How many years did you get out of your Optima Yellow-Top?

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  2. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I’m guessing you didn’t keep your original clamp and negative cable? My car had a US terminal yellow top when I bought it. I started having odd problems at 7 years 11 months so I unknowingly got a new Toyota Factory battery. It was then I discovered I had to get a new negative cable and clamp, vent hose (the Optima one is different) and terminal. Internet price was 25.69 for the cable and clamp, 23.87 for the positive terminal plus 1.82 for the bolt to hold it on (it doesn’t come with it) and 7.42 for the hose. 58.80 for all the parts to revert back. I kept the larger terminal kit in case I ever want to change back. Plus they didn’t have most of the parts in stock, they had to order them. Unless someone looking at the car knew about the little Japanese terminals they would see nothing wrong.

3. archae86

archae86 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If I had any brains I put them on the shelf with other auto stuff. But the clamp conversion was one of the less fun parts of the original install, and I decided I'd rather stick with the clamp and cable currently on the car, or have a dealer put it back properly.

So I've not searched for the old parts.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    fascinating write up, thank you! i got 8 years, 10 years and in my 8th year of my 3rd pri from the oems batteries

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Safest place for stuff like that is in the car, say in the under-the-hatch-floor tray. I know, hindsight is 20/20...

6. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That’s where mine is. ;)
    You never know when you might need it during a road trip.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I’m using a Chinese made LiFePO4 battery in my parents’ Gen 3. Less than 1 year old though, gonna have to wait for a verdict.

Positives:

It was less than 10 lbs.
    Built in V meter
    Backup battery built in if you drain the primary
    Supposed to be better....

Negative:

There was a slight fitment issue where it wouldn’t sit flat. Longer bolt and some washers solved that.
    Possible reliability issue

Oh, it came with these, which seem to be conversion from Japanese to SAE post size:
    View attachment 174026
    Looks like the site software locked my pic. Basically two brass looking rings that appear to fit the tiny Japanese terminals and look approximate outer diameter size as SAE posts.

#7 jzchen, Jun 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  8. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is a gen3 battery the same size and fittment as a gen2 battery (the area you are currently in)

9. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  10. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Skibob, the battery replacement video shows the exact same battery that came out of my parents’, also with keyless entry.

11. Prius_Gnome

Prius_Gnome Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Long story short: My 12v battery died within the free replacement period. The auto parts retailer replaced it with (the cheaper) Optima D51 with fat posts instead of the Optima DS46B24R with the OEM thinner posts. So I had to purchase the $20 kit from elearnaid, but they didn't send instructions.

My question: How did you all remove the bolt (A) from the positive terminal connector?
    Do I just clamp down on the metal bracket (B), spray down the bolt (A) with WD40, and then use a 12mm wrench (and hammer?) on bolt (A)?
    Or am I supposed to remove the metal bracket (B) from the plastic housing (C) first?
    prius battery connector.jpg

12. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm sorry I don't know the answer to that question. I do want to say to bring it back and ask them to give you the one with the correct JIS terminals. You should not have to deal with this....

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. archae86

archae86 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I got instructions with mine. There is a small chance I can still find them--I'll look.

I do remember that my instructions stated that one step might require an inconvenient high force, and that in the event I was barely able to do it. But I don't remember what tools and method I used. Sorry.

14. Prius_Gnome

Prius_Gnome Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately, I'm not sure if I can. The longer story is that it took almost 2 weeks for Auto Plus (previously Pep Boys) to honor the warranty. They don't carry Bosch batteries anymore, and they initially said that Bosch battery warranties were reduced to only 1 year when Auto Plus acquired Pep Boys. After going back multiple times, Auto Plus decided to replace the battery (I'm not sure if they realized they had to honor the warranty or if they just wanted to get rid of me). Then I had to wait a week for them to order and deliver a Champion battery. They're the type of retail store that doesn't pick up the phone when you call, so I had to make the drive over without calling first. When I stopped by after a week, it wasn't at the store because it didn't "arrive in time". At the time, I was suspicious it was another delay tactic, so I just pointed to the Optima battery on the shelf with the label "Prius" and asked for that battery as the replacement. He said I would have to pay an extra $40 to offset the difference between the Optima and the Champion battery, and I agreed because I didn't want to have to waste any more time. He gave me the battery next to the one I pointed to. At the time, it looked like the correct battery because it was the same size. Now I realize it had the SAE post terminals instead of the Japanese pencil post terminals. I think they were selling the DS46B24R for $333 and the D51 for $240. Paying $133 for my free replacement battery doesn't seem "free" anymore. And again, I wasn't even sure if they were going to honor the battery warranty so I just dealt with it.

15. archae86

archae86 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've looked for but failed to find my instructions. I think perhaps I used my vise to get a firm grip on the one piece while using a good wrench to undo the stubborn fastener.

Prius_Gnome likes this.
  16. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Maybe clamp the terminal clamp onto something similar, (similar to a terminal), and then try....