1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electric battery degradation

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Doctor B, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Doctor B

Doctor B Guest

I have a 2012 Prius plug in. Initially when fully charged, the recorded range was 12.2 miles. The car has now 40,000 miles. When it hit 25,000 moles , the fully charged battery went from 12.2 to 11.5, 11.0, 10.5 and finally down to 9.5. It makes no sense, my driving pattern has remained the same. No ac or heating use different than before. I took the car several times and I was told that there was nothing wrong. I try charging the car at a different place than my house ( I have a educated outlet ) and I obtained the same results. Any ideas? Thank you.

2. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The voltages you mention are appropriate to the 12V auxiliary battery, not the hybrid traction battery. There's virtually no chance that the aux battery is significantly affecting your mileage or your EV range. Plugging in doesn't charge your aux battery either; it starts being charged as soon as your car goes into ready-mode.

But it sounds like your aux battery is starting to bite the dust. It really doesn't have much work to do, other than turning on the computer in ready-mode, where-after the DC-DC converter takes over providing all the 12V power. My PiP arrived from the dealer with a bad aux battery. It wasn't holding a charge, and leaving the car in acc-mode for 10-15 minutes resulted in a dead aux battery, leaving the car dead-in-the-water. I had it tested and replaced.

3. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Do you mean range? The car will adjust the estimated range based on your driving style and conditions, so its not necessarily your battery getting worse.

Silver Pine Mica likes this.
  4. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Pay attention, please.
    Those numbers are his EV mileage range, not voltages.

My question is: Is that the estimated range that is displayed right after a charge.......or is it the number of miles actually achieved with EV ??
    Seems like I remember that the estimate takes into consideration your past EV history.

5. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Good catch. I thought I had read it enough times, but apparently not.

6. Cory151

Cory151 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Battery degradation is not uncommon in any of the current completely electric vehicles, early Leaf owners are seeing about a 20% loss in batt capacity over the first 100k. I was under the impression that this was simply the nature of the beast.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    these batteries are expensive, but you are in luck, you have at least a 100,000 mile warranty.

8. gallde

gallde Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Best way to check for traction battery problems:
    1. Find someone local with the same car (might be the hardest step!)
    2. Invite them for an extended coffee break while the uncharged car charges.
    3. Shut off A/C, seat haters, headlamps, etc.
    4. Zero a trip odometer.
    5. Drive as a convoy of two on the same route at the same speeds and accelerations.
    6. Drive until you get near the end of the shorter displayed range.
    7. Observe and note the odometer readings when EV mode ends.
    Regardless of the initial estimated range, cars with good batteries should agree on the actual battery rundown distance within a few %.

I did this with a work colleague on his route to compare gas mileage on my previous (non-PIP) Prius, and we both hit 55 +/- 1 MPG, even though my usual route driven my usual way had been giving me only about 42.

drash and Chazz8 like this.
  9. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    The LEAF battery pack was poorly designed. It has no thermal management at all, not even a fan, other than some mild heating plates that are used to warm the battery under very cold conditions.

Battery degradation is a function of calendar time, cycling and heat. Aside from limiting the cycling or the low vs high charging extremes, the main thing you can do is to avoid cell high temperatures and preferably keep all cells at about the same temperature to promote even and consistent aging.

The Tesla's, Ford Focus EV and Chevy Volt use liquid active management to keep everything happy. Other cars like the Ford Energi, Prius Plugin, and others use active air cooling which takes advantage of the fact that optimal temperature ranges for people and Lithium batteries are about the same.

The LEAF just used a sealed and uninsulated battery compartment that radiates away the heat out the bottom of the car (or absorbes heat that way from the ambiant outside air or baking hot pavement. And the battery chemistry used in the LEAF tends to be somewhat more sensitive to temperature-based degradation.

Even worse, around 2014 they changed the LEAF to remove the 80% charging option -- now you can only do a "100%" charge. Nissan did this to "game the system". Previously, EPA rules resulted in the EV range estimate being an average of the range with an 80% charge and the 100% charge. By removing the 80% charge option (which used to be the default) Nissan was able to just report the 100% EV range which made the LEAF appear more competitive without actually improving the battery. The 100% charging will almost certainly result in somewhat faster battery aging.

I think the real problem is that Nissan was caught off-guard by the Volt and didn't have time to do a better job or better early testing to discover the problem. The Volt was shown off in January 2007 and committed for production by the 3rd quarter of 2007. The LEAF wasn't announced until the 3rd quarter of 2009 but was delivered to customers at the same time as the Volt.

We'll see what they do with gen 2 of the LEAF.

#9 Jeff N, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  10. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If what you say is true, then theoretically the batteries should last longer here in Canada.

11. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Yes, probably.

12. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Stats should therefore exist.

13. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My EV range varies from 10 to 14 miles. It's about a 4 mile variance on a morning commute that I've been doing at 5:30 am every day for 7 years, over 2 years in my 2012 PiP. At 5:30 am, there is very little traffic so my driving style is as constant as it gets for real life situations.

Why the variance? Mostly it's down in the winter and up in the summer. My wife uses the seat heater in winter. I use the defroster which turns on AC in winter. I rarely use AC in summer. Precipitation is a drag in winter. Nights are longer so more headlight use. Batteries don't work as well in colder winter temperatures. Minor things but they all add up.

You're showing less than 3 miles variance and it is winter. I'd say all is normal.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my ryobi lithium batteries poop out on a regular basis. there's nothing for it but to buy new ones. i wonder if a grid charger would help?

15. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The lithium batteries made in China seem to have a unique quality of going dead without being used. I bought 2 lithium batteries for my Sony SLR camera for $12. The OEM battery was $99. I figured there was nothing to lose, so I ordered them online from AliExpress. They seem to work well enough, but they go dead after a few weeks in the camera bag, whereas the Sony battery seems to hold a charge for almost a year.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ya, it's tough to find many things not m.i.c. these days.

17. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't think the problem is "m.i.c."

If you want quality, they can make it in China. If you don't want to pay anything for it, they have that level of quality also.

gdanner likes this.
  18. roflwaffle

roflwaffle Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    They do...

Run these words through g00gl3 and poke around.

"lithium battery degradation map temperature"

Battery Capacity Loss - Electric Vehicle Wiki

#18 roflwaffle, Jan 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  19. MikePIP

MikePIP New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler