1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electric bill up 20% from $120 to $145

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Don C, Apr 13, 2012.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Icarus has also posted that going rates for installed watt of PV in WA is about $5. The only gotcha I can think of (that applies to me too) is that installed cost is for arrays of 3+ kw. If a person only wanted to cover the EV demand, the cost/watt would be higher.

2. kalome

kalome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I will be curious to see summer rates of your electric bill for people living in Arizona and California.

3. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Actually it depends on what area of California.Close to the San Francisco Bay, summer temperatures only occasionally get above the low 80s.

4. kalome

kalome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, let me clarify....people that live in the following counties:
    Maricopa, Pinal, Gila, Pima, Los Angeles, San Bernardino & Riverside.

5. pfile

pfile Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    actually that's probably the average rate. the 200%+ tier on E1A is about 0.34c/kwh:

below are the tiers and cost per kwh for E1. the baseline quantity depends on where you live in california.

Tier 1 (Baseline) $0.12845
    Tier 2 (101-130% of baseline) $0.14602
    Tier 3 (131-200% of baseline) $0.29940
    Tier 4 (201-300% of baseline) $0.33940
    Tier 5 (Over 300% of baseline) $0.33940

for me, the baseline quantity is about 220kwh per month, which is laughable... if you have a family there's no way you're coming in at or near the baseline qty. with the leaf and everything else it's not unusual for our house to use 1000kwh per month.

6. ready1

ready1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Now this is funny. SCE has an online tool to estimate your total costs of operation for a plug-in. It totals the costs of gasoline and electricity. It's supposed to help you choose your special EV rate plan.

According to their estimate I will pay exactly the same to operate my PIP under my current electric plan. And under one of the plans, the total cost of operation is actually more.

I think the problem is I am upgrading(?) from a 2006 Prius that gets 45 mpg.

Who knew an plug-in cost more to run? ;-)

Attached Files:

• SCE.jpg
      SCE.jpg
      File size:
      116.8 KB
      Views:
  7. AZGeek

AZGeek Semi-informed Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    That's great for you but irrelevant to the discussion because your profile indicates you don't have a PiP. On the other hand, that would be totally cool if you did have a PiP and still managed to be off-grid. Then the course of the discussion would move to how much it cost to go off-grid and the portion of that which would be applied to keeping the PiP charged.

Some day we will get to that perfect state of electric cars with100% solar charging. You are certainly in the right part of the country for solar! :)

iPad ?

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep. PG&E lists their baselines depending on the area and whether you have natural gas at Understanding Baseline Quantities. They're somewhat related to the CA climate zones (Energy Maps of California). CA Title 24 standards (California's Energy Efficiency Standards for Residential and Nonresidential Building) dictate different requirements for insulation and other things depending on the climate zones.

9. fjpod

fjpod Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've been contemplating buying a Miev and when I compare projected electric use to my current Prius mpg of at least 50 mpg, they are comparable. There is no winner...fuel cost wise, that is. Now if someone was replacing a car getting 25 mpg...

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Depends on the area. In some parts of the US, electricity is WAY cheaper than others.

Here are two places w/very cheap electricity.
    Seattle City Light: Electric Rates & Provisions
    2011 Rates

11. fjpod

fjpod Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My calculations were done on gasoline at $4.15 and electric at 26 cents per Kwh.