1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electric car (EV1) sound in a Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by F8L, Dec 9, 2006.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know this is going to sound rediculous but I really like the sound of the EV1 and even my Prius when in electric mode on a clear quiet night. I was wondering if the electrical components that make that sound are more muffled in our cars and that is why the sound is less noticable or is it simply because our electric motor is not as large as the EV1?

Like I said, I know it may sound dumb to some of you but if there was a way to make the Prius sound more like an EV1 I'd like to know how to go about it. I'm not interested in doing a typical exhaust system for added noise. I've done that on nearly all my cars. I just like the electrical hum. :)

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    welcome to my world haha.

Yeah, I like the sound when the Prius comes to a halt. It sounds really cool (first thing I noticed on the test drive).

All I know is that if you brake harder (but still regenerating), the sound becomes louder. It's a good way to tell if you're regenerating or not.

Also, on the flip side, I think the harder you accelerate (this is where the EV mod comes in handy) it might get louder too. This I can't confirm since I don't pay attention as much as the braking portion.

3. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL

Ok so I'm not alone. :) I am guessing that the sound is being muffled somehow. If I was on the design team I would cover the motor or locate it in such a way so as to make it as quiet as possible to help with sales. Not everyone wants to hear electrical whine, just us tweaks. ;)

So I was thinking if that is the case then it may be as simple as removing some sound deadening material somwhere or maybe a cover? Guess I'm going to have to actually look at where the motor is located and start tearing into stuff. I paid for the motor and I want to hear the darn thing! LOL

4. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't specifically know how the EV-1 motors were done, but the
    Prius motors are entirely contained in the transaxle housing and
    Toyota actually went out of their way to make them quieter. There's
    a large pad of something that appears to be sound-absorbent on the
    backside of the transaxle case, the windings sit partially in the
    oil bath, and they've even paid attention to switching transition
    times and component potting inside the inverter. So we do hear some
    whine but not anything like some of the earlier or more "research
    prototype" EV motors and drive units.
    The slight growling when regenning toward a stop *is* rather amusing,
    but I'm not sure I'd see much point in making it louder ... after all,
    *sound* is energy you throw off too!
    _H*

5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can understand sound being energy but it seems in this case it would be a byproduct and since it is not being captured and recycled then it would not be decreasing efficiency like you would see in a stereo system where dampening does increase efficiency.

Sounds like there is not a feasible way to increase the sound unless removing that damping pad on the outside of the transaxle is possible?

6. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

Do not hear any EV noise from my Prius. But, there is a HSD vehicle which is quite EV loud. I was out walking, and passing by garage sales last spring. As I went around the inside corner of a Y, an electric sounding vehicle came up behind me and it was just a little softer than talking level. It was a new RX400h.

Another time I was drving down a road in glide, then gave the pedal a little extra to start an incline. The car went into stealth. A german shepard being walked by its owner, on the sidwalk about 50 feet ahead, stopped, snapped its head around and gave my car the evil eye. Maybe the Prius EV noise is ultrasonic?

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the EV 1 had to have had a much larger motor running much faster since it had no ICE to use at high speeds.

8. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i think they muffle the sound because its annoying at 70 mph, on my other 01 salvage it lost some of the foam stuff and some random stuff, and at 70 mph theres a constant whine, even at low speeds, i drove 1300 miles like this to florida and the sound of the motor got stuck in my head for weeks ( i could hear it in my sleep )

9. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The EV1 did have a larger motor, and it ran at higher RPM than the Prius motor, and so was geared down quit a bit for the drive wheels. Very little was done to quiet the gear noise because that would have added weight... and every ounce was counted on the EV1.

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(statultra @ Dec 11 2006, 03:52 PM) [snapback]360642[/snapback]</div>
    Ok yeah that would be bad. lol

I'm used to hearing superchargers or turbos whine but generally once up to speed their noise is not as noticable.

11. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i also have purchased the movie along with "An Inconvenient Truth"

an unrelated note. the book version of "Truth" just won a Cleo