1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electric Cars Are Doing Just Fine

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by El Dobro, Dec 21, 2012.

1. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I certainly was talking about the metric combined mpg as determined on the epa test. What is given on the city test is taken away on the highway.

Quick search on epa databsse -
    least gasoline compact car
    focus ev
    volt
    prius c

But lets do non-hybrid, non-plug in
    versa 31,40,35

best sub compact
    spark 32,38,34

The change isn't just in the highest mpg models, but flows down the model line.
    Now if you go down to the mini compacts then you get a tiny bump to 37 mpg combined.

In europe because of different safety and pollution regulations you get different cars that do better.

This comparison does illustrate why though for at least the american market, city bevs don't make much sense. Going smaller than the compact form factor does not improve things much.

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius didn't require much compromise - put gas in it, go 400+ miles in a car with somewhat less power and size. Engine off as much as possible made (makes) sense.

Pretty sad how half the BEV's are selling thus far as of Nov '12 -
    Focus EV - 518 to date
    i-MiEV - 511
    Rav4EV - 140
    Fit EV - 74

November 2012 Dashboard - HybridCars.com

Other day the paper had an i-MiEV advertised on sale for something like $26k or $29k, forgot which. What are people supposed to think? High $20ks for that? It goes 60 miles on a charge? Looks like pooh (to me).

Or the Rav4EV. 50 large for a cute ute that goes 70 miles on charge. They can do about face to see a $22k Rav4 . No contest.

Leaf will barely make 10k sales nationwide this year. Sales really stunk over the Summer, but it has bounced back. Is it also being mfrd in US now?

Good things are happening though. Toyota, Ford, Chevrolet all have PHEVs (ok EREV) and in a few weeks, Honda. They need to make them 'leaner' and cheaper in years to come.