1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Electric Cars have a long way to go to make a dent in the Oil Consumption of Cars/Trucks

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by mozdzen, Oct 27, 2015.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    IIRC, California gives only $2,500 for a big enough plugin. But you can get $5,000 rebate for the Mirai

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I thought the entire $7,500 tax credit is gone for the rich.

It may not be about the money but the appeal to pay less tax drives sales.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it may just be that they would buy it anyway, but if you're gonna give me some cash back, why not?

5. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    They may slow down.
    Tesla sales certainly won't "tank" when the state credit disappears.

6. mozdzen

mozdzen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    I see a bigger hit on the Volt than the Model S

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Didn't someone post a sales quantity chart here, somewhere on PC? I'd like to be able to see which manufacturer is getting closest to that 200,000 number. I suppose the feds could always order up another quantity of vehicles beyond that 200,000 if they wanted to.

8. mozdzen

mozdzen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    It gets updated tomorrow for the month of october.
    Monthly Plug-In Sales Scorecard

9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As far as I know, there is no change to the Federal $7500 tax credit. It is a very powerful credit to anyone who pays taxes. Sometimes the rich pay no taxes... only in that case they are hosed...but nothing was changed.

CA did take away the state incentive for higher incomes, and WA took away their state incentive for cars over $35k.

usbseawolf2000 and mozdzen like this.
  10. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    GM has sold around 88,000
    Nissan 87,000
    Tesla 58,000
    Ford 55,000
    Toyota is not far behind

GM and Tesla look like they are in the race to get there first with the model III and the bolt set to accelerate sales. I don't see any reason to increase the number of vehicles under tax credit. It seems to have done its magic and lowered the price of Tesla/Panasonic and LG batteries. Chevy was able to pull over $10,000 out of the volts cost already and Tesla has a 23% margin on the model S not counting ZEV credits.

#70 austingreen, Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    actually in CA, even if you're income is really super high (& your brain is puny enough to want one), the hydrogenmobile can STILL get big buck incentives even in the midst of all other plugin transportation incentives getting completely axed.
    California putting limits on EV incentives for the rich

Call me a conspiracy theorist ... naw, the fuel cell lobby wouldn't go that far now would they.
    (shaking head in utter disgust)
    Actually plugins wouldn't have such a long way to go but for the hydrogen lobby continually trying it's hardest to crush them.

#71 hill, Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  12. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Don't hold your breath. You will not see the end of fossil fueled vehicles in your life time. Not even in your great grand childrens' life time.

DBCassidy

13. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I'm not going to hold my breath for horse buggy transport to end in my lifetime either. Drive around enough in eastern New York state and it is clear, the horse is still king in a lot of areas. The point we are after is when EV transport is a clear economic winner compared to fossil fuel transport. That I may be around to see.

14. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The fossil fuel forever mantra strongly reminds me of the film camp during the film to digital transition. Is film still around? Technically yes but ask Kodak about that.....

mozdzen likes this.
  15. mozdzen

mozdzen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    I think self driving cars will become mainstream before pure electrics outnumber ICE annual sales.
    That will change the landscape of car ownership.

16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Computer hackers will have a field day with self driving cars, if that ever becomes the rage.

17. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Digital has a convenience and often a quality advantage over film. Where film has a real quality advantage and is convent enough, it lives on. For most their phone is good enough now, and my iphone 6 takes much better pictures inside than a cheap film camera used to, with the advantage that I can tell instantly if I got the shot. For outside the phones aren't as good, but larger sensored digital cameras are as good, up to prints a certain size, and much more convent to show on ipads, laptops, and tvs.
    12 Reasons Photographers Still Choose to Shoot Film over Digital
    For vehicles this is PHEV not bev. I would expect the engine to live on for a long time. For many the convenience of a bev is good enough, but the phev is more convenient, and with even with only 20 mile range has most of the oil savings. BEVs may become like phone photograghy, which is now the majority and getting bigger. Limited but good enough, and you never need to go to a photo lab (gas station).

hill likes this.
  18. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Climate change will happen much faster than EV transport. In order for EV transport to be main stream - all sales of vehicles, starting tomorrow nad for all future sales, will be EV and only EV!

Maybe, then you will see the EV as the clear economic winner. Any other way - you will never see it.

DBCassidy

19. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sadly, the amount of fossil fuel that we can extract is in part, how long the ice industry will remain king. What we've learned from the 1st blip of peak oil a few years ago was that the economy coincidentaly crashes during those cycles. Then you don't need as much fossil fuel to run your anemic economy. Less economy equates to less tax basis, and then you just have to look at inner city Detroit to see how that scenario plays out - in essence you have a bombed-out Fallujah-looking country. The more we wean yourself off of that likely possibility, the less harsh the future will be. imo the bottom line is, whether or not plugins have a long way to go turns on how slow or quick we use up our renewables. Don't forget - the Prius primarily caught on as quick as it did because of $4 /gallon gas.

20. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I disagree.
    The Stone Age did not end because we ran out of stones.

It is true that the higher the prices of oil the faster the transition. The transition will happen though.

Ashlem and bwilson4web like this.