1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Electric Cars have a long way to go to make a dent in the Oil Consumption of Cars/Trucks

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by mozdzen, Oct 27, 2015.

1. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Cheap methane (natural gas) can actually speed the transition from coal and oil to renewables. That is because methane can be made renewably from biomass or electricity + water + carbon dioxide.

Zythryn likes this.
  2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    i wonder if that's because the stone age wasn't turning them into concrete highways
    ;)
    Factor that with the teeny ratio of oil to the Earth's solid stone mass - hmmmm - I wonder what that fraction is?
    So the millions during the stone age weren't blowing thru stone - and our present day 7 billion are blowing thru our oil reserves ( those tax dollars / industry make the world go round) . I acknowledge the cuteness of the stoneage anecdotal expression, but it - like stones - don't hold water - or should I say they don't float

3. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    lol. stone to bronze to iron. Each had an advantage for things, but each still is used.

Fossil fuel isn't going away. Its just too good for some things. Tech sometimes moves slowly.

Cheap oil and expensive batteries are a problem. Once this changes there still will be many phevs to go with the bevs. Oil or other liquid fuels are still advanatagesous, but renewable methane could be renewable methanol running the range extender.

Ashlem, hill and Zythryn like this.
  4. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't see how you can disagree with it.
    The Stone Age ended, that is a fact.
    We didn't run out of stones, that is also a fact.

The Stone Age ended, because we found something better.
    The fossil fuel age will also end, as we have already found something better.

The transition though, is not instant.
    And some, want to slow it down as best they can.

And yes, fossil fuels will continue to be used for some things, just as stones still are.
    But the majority of our energy will come from non fossil fuel sources.

The only question is how long will it take, and how much damage we will do because of the delay.

mozdzen, fotomoto and austingreen like this.
  5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    NY Mayor D'Blasio outlawed horses, right? He mandated electrified carriages.

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well the Romans made better use of their stone making roads and aqueducts. Use the right tool for the right job.

Bob Wilson

7. mozdzen

mozdzen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    I believe it will float. They didn't run out of whales when they switched over from whale oil either. There will be plenty of oil left in the earth for whatever use we might find in the future (food?), but technology advances in geometric steps, not linear. Energy should be practically free one day once we learn how to harness all of the forms available to us.

8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Romans were masters with concrete.

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    the Whale analogy - I can live with that. Even though they're not extinct many are on the endangered species list with many countries still trying to wipe them out, despite their being a replacement for their parts. And yes there will always be plenty of oil left in the ground, because at some tipping point - ( 40% - 50%) the energy needed to extract is more costly than the energy yield of the extraction. The irony of that tipping point is that the cost becomes huge for the product. Thats what kills the economy, and balances out the need to extract. It's a nasty cycle, that we wait that long to move to the next source of fuel.
    Maybe dilithium crystals?

PLSPUSH and mozdzen like this.