1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Electric cars prove we need to rethink brake lights

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, May 25, 2023.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    It's a great point . . . . . . . could have been said in one tenth of that ½hr it took. Remember in the theater? .... that great big hook would come out & drag 'em off stage?

bisco likes this.
  3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It is possible to quickly slow a car down by downshifting, so this isn't a one pedal EV issue.

Not sure how you can call GM's solution overly complicated. The adaptive cruise example doesn't apply, because that system is effectively triggering the brake pedal, and thus that switch for the lights. The accelerometer method is also used by others. The i3 does, and it was possible to come to a stop and never have its brake lights come on at times in early models.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I watched it muted, at 2✕ speed, with captions, and I didn't think it was rambling or too loosely edited. He made a lot of points, not just one, and backed them up with the relevant docs, and that took the number of words that it took.

I did think it odd that around 13:50 to 14:30 he's knocking GM for a "way overcomplicated" solution using an accelerometer, and later around 21:00 he's praising new UN regs that "eliminate all this gobbledygook and simply make it such that if the car is slowing down by more than 1.3 m/s² ...".

I don't know what made him think using an accelerometer was overcomplicated when the acceleration rate is the thing to care about. It's not like accelerometers are exotic and hard to get. There's at least three in my phone. The car surely already had at least two, just as a Prius does, for traction control purposes.

Trollbait and austingreen like this.
  5. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I just steer clear of the Ionic when I see it out on the road. But good to know.... It's like when driving in a snowstorm back in Colorado....hazards on.......look like a beacon....my rear fog lights on the Rover saved me several times from being rear ended.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if people didn't tailgate, it wouldn't be an issue.

NOLA_Akita and hill like this.