1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electric Heater and Grill Blocking

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by gazz, Apr 10, 2007.

1. gazz

gazz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have noted that it can be a good idear to limit the use of the heater when warming up the ICE. Has anybody got any comments on using an electric 12V heater to help warm the cabin while leaving of the ICE heater.

Also I have searched a lot on blocking the grill in cold weather, but is there any detailed info on exactly how to do it and at what tempreatures.

Thanks

2. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Gazz,

There are quite a few threads here about different techniques for blocking the radiator. I think that most of the lads that have done it also have some way of monitoring the coolant temp. The lack of a coolant temp gauge is what has prevented me from trying it myself. There are quite a few options for doing so, but I don't know the availability of them in Ol' Blighty.

Do a search for "Radiator Block" here on PC and just make sure that you search across all forums.

An engine block heater would help with this as well.

3. gazz

gazz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for that, I'll keep looking and search for Radiator we call it Grill more in the UK.

4. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Aye. Here the grill is the decorative, chrome bit right in front of the radiator. I love the nuances of American/British English. ;)

5. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gazz @ Apr 10 2007, 06:14 PM) [snapback]421102[/snapback]</div>
    The car already has 12V electric heater elements. They have been discussed several times on Prius Chat. You have to set the heat to maximum to turn them on.

- Tom

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gazz @ Apr 10 2007, 05:14 PM) [snapback]421102[/snapback]</div>
    Look for "My first morning with a blocked grill" as that is my nomination for most definitive thread on this subject. This is where the local availability of materials, your talent, imagination, and artistic sensibilities merge to create a unique look. Start blocking in the Fall when it gets cool. Start unblocking in the Spring when the fan turns on.

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gazz @ Apr 10 2007, 06:14 PM) [snapback]421102[/snapback]</div>
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4...51993&hl=en

8. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom_06 @ Apr 10 2007, 05:12 PM) [snapback]421190[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think that is correct Tom. I think the electric heaters come on when the Air Conditioning system is calling for heat but the ICE is not warm enough to provide it. I know I felt some feeble heat this winter with my AC set to Auto and 70° F (21° C) in under two minutes. An Engine Block Heater would warm the engine and coolant so the cabin could start warming from engine heat faster while achieving better fuel efficiency, but I see no reason an auxiliary 12V heater for the cabin air wouldn't work.

9. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom_06 @ Apr 11 2007, 01:12 AM) [snapback]421190[/snapback]</div>
    It always amazes me how many people believe this, without stopping for a moment to consider whether it makes any sense at all.

Why on earth would they go to the expense of installing electric heaters and not use them as part of the normal climate control?