1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electric "Heater In a Box" System

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Michael33, Jan 8, 2014.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    right, that 18 mile trip is a killer. if i had a 20 mile battery, i could do 95% of my driving in ev.:)

2. Lourun

Lourun Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If I had a 100 mile batt I could do all my driving in EV!

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    now you're talking! but i don't do enough long distance driving to make it worth paying for. i'm happy to use gas for longer trips. it's that 15 -20 mile range that i do daily that makes me crazy. that's the tough thing about ev, until it's like gas (tesla) everyone's needs will be different.

4. Lourun

Lourun Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My day drive is about 12-14 miles, in the summer I can make the 12 mile ride. But now no matter how I drive Ice comes on between 1-2 miles before I get home,so now I just use heat from ice when I start out warm the car and go from there.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    same thing here. i have to plug in at work now, but in summer, no problem.

6. Michael33

Michael33 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I did my first "road test' of the portable heater this evening. I used my Leaf, but will be testing it in the PIP next. Considering that it was 5 to 9F outside (and about that to start with in the car), and considering that I was only able to use both heaters for about 4 minutes because of the limitations of my little deep cycle battery, the test was a success. I placed both heaters on the floor in front of the driver's seat, facing forward toward the pedals and duct-taped in place, and ran both for the first four minutes, then turned one off and used the remaining 200 watt 120 volt heater for the rest of the 1/2 hour drive. I tried to measure interior temperature, but it's possible that the little Chinese clock/thermometer I used stops at 0 degrees C. Either that or I was actually able to maintain 0C (32F) for the whole drive. The important thing is that my legs felt warm, and with the seat heater on (low) and the Leaf's steering wheel heater on, I was reasonably comfortable. I used the car's climate control to defrost the windshield for 10-30 seconds every 5 minutes or so, and used the heater for two minutes at about the halfway point. I'm pretty cold-blooded, so if I wasn't too uncomfortable, most people should find the portable system usable as well.

A few guesstimate stats:

Trip time: 29 minutes

Battery power used: 10AH

Climate control runtime, with heat: about 3 minutes

Climate control runtime, fan only: about 15 minutes

Reduction in car heater use: approximately 25 minute reduction over 29 minute trip

For some reason the Edit screen is coming up with no post in it, so I'll add this, written at the Leaf forum when I posted there:

Again, the idea isn't to heat the car's interior. The idea is to create a 'bubble' of heat around the driver's legs, rising up somewhat around the driver to increase comfort in the otherwise cold cabin. It appears to work. (In the Leaf, at least.)

Before I try this in the PIP: do I remember correctly, that if I set the PIP's climate control temp to "Low" I can use the ventilation system without the ICE running? Or will it start just from me turning a fan on? I assume I can at least use passive ventilation with the vents on the Low/Defrost setting?

drash, Tracksyde and bisco like this.
  7. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Heat set on LO, fan speed about 2-3.

8. retired4999

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Defrost setting will start ICE.

9. Michael33

Michael33 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    But what about floor/Defrost? That doesn't run the A/C automatically.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no it doesn't. that's what i use when i'm ev only.

11. Michael33

Michael33 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks.

12. uropip

uropip Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I noticed recently that lower temp settings (ie: 73vs max) will allow the ice to shut off quicker. Set to max the ice runs almost continuously. Its been in the low teens here lately.

Also.lower fan speed seemed to help this effect. Highest speed on the fan seemed to hurt this effect.
    Galaxy S4 ?

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Folks have been adding battery capacity to hybrids for a decade now. So now, we have the PiP. If I got this straight, folks wana throw batteries into the PiP just for the specific use towards a heater? I use an 12v aux heater that plugs into the cig lighter (or I guess now they're called 12v accessory plug) and it does ok. If I really really wanted more heat? Why not just ad more capacity to the traction pack. Kits exist for the Prius exactly for that purpose. This 'fix' not allows for more heat ... it's a WHOLE lot neater ... AND ... come summer, you get to use the extra capacity to move on down the road.
    :)

15. retired4999

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yep! Set both settings as low as you can stand, for best mpg.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i agree with your point, but there aren't any plug and play units available, and the price per kwh is quite high.

17. Michael33

Michael33 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, it's just too expensive and complex to add pack capacity. Although really, that isn't even needed: if we want to trade EV range for heat in EV mode, Toyota should offer an electric heater option. How many here would pay an extra $1k for a heater that would let you travel say, 8 miles in Winter, with heat, with no ICE running? 12 volt heaters that use accessory socket amperage just can't provide enough heat for comfort. My auxiliary heater is for the express purpose of providing modest heat (mainly for the driver, or the driver and front seat passenger) in EV mode, without starting the ICE. It is for short trips only, although in theory, with an adequate battery, it could provide heat for an hour or more.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would pay for a heater. the more you use it, the less capacity you will have for distance. that's understood and can be compensated for when calculating the drive. it might also help prevent the ice from firing in certain circumstances because of the warm air venting out thru the batteries.

19. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I am not sure I understand the point of using electric heat to warm the car. Essentially, one is heating the car with electricity from the grid, passing it through a battery charger, with its associated losses. On the other hand, one could just use the ICE, which is very efficient at making heat, especially with the exhaust heat recovery system the PiP uses. What am I missing? :confused:

usbseawolf2000 likes this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the desire to drive electric. never said it was more efficient.:)