1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electric "Heater In a Box" System

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Michael33, Jan 8, 2014.

1. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  2. Michael33

Michael33 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'd rather use the hydro-power from less than a mile away than burn gasoline from thousands of miles away. I also want to be able to drive fume-free. Finally, our in-town errands are too nearby for the ICE to warm up completely without driving extra miles just for that purpose.

iplug likes this.
  3. Michael33

Michael33 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  4. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Most of us are not so fortunate as to live right next to cheap, renewable, emission-free hydro power.:) For most of us, the choice is between using fume-creating electric generators to produce electric power with non-trivial losses during transmission to our homes, vs. a very efficient, albeit fume-creating, gasoline engine. Concerning emissions, how much other than carbon dioxide and water comes out of the exhaust of a car like the Prius, after the catalytic converter and other emission devices get done with it? I thought that it was pretty miniscule (like zero evaporative emissions for the PiP).

Please understand that I am not intending to be argumentative or critical. It's just a different way of looking at the situation that got my interest.

giora and usbseawolf2000 like this.
  5. Michael33

Michael33 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The problem is that using gasoline is vastly more wasteful than using even coal-generated electricity. Transmission losses range from about 5% to about 15%, while the thermal losses alone from an ICE are in the 40% range - at best. So which is more wasteful, a gasoline engine burning fuel that was shipped here from another continent (or, at least. for hundreds or thousands of miles), fractionated, then trucked regionally by diesel tanker, only to have half its energy blown into the atmosphere, or a modest electric storage battery with maybe 20% thermal losses running a heating system that is just large enough for the job? Keep in mind that the ICE is sized to propel the car at highway speeds, not to heat the cabin.

6. Lourun

Lourun Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you think that the hydro power in your area comes straight to your house you are very mistaken, the Grid is all inter connected and power flows to where the utilizes get the most dollars for their kilowatts.

giora and markabele like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    many of our electric plants are being converted/replaced with domestic natural gas. of course, this has it's controversies as well...

8. CharlesH

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    But the waste heat is precisely what this thread is about. We are not comparing the relative efficiency of charging the traction battery using the ICE vs. using the grid. We are comparing using the ICE to heat the cabin, vs. using electricity from the grid to heat the cabin. Given the exhaust heat recovery process in the PiP, I would expect the ICE to be very efficient at heating the cabin. And recall that the ICE is "undersized" compared to what would be needed in a conventional car, since the system can draw on the battery for peak power demands.

9. Michael33

Michael33 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You seemed to be talking about efficiency, so I responded in that vein. In fact, you do seem to be talking about relative efficiencies: "Given the exhaust heat recovery process in the PiP, I would expect the ICE to be very efficient at heating the cabin." The problem with that idea is that there is no "waste heat" unless you deliberately run the ICE for heat, in which case it's all 'deliberate waste.' If you can't see that, I can't be any more clear.

10. Michael33

Michael33 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The power is generated by 'our' electric utility, and it does power our section of the grid. It's funny: when you say you sponsor wind power elsewhere in the state, as we do, there is always someone to say "Don't be silly: that power isn't running your appliances, your power comes from whichever power plant is closest and connected to your section of the grid." So I admit that, and I get the above response. We're using hydropower. I'm sorry if that is inconvenient for your desire to dismiss my reason for wanting to avoid wasting gasoline to heat the cabin, but it remains a fact.

11. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Nope.

2/3 of energy is lost during electricity generation and transmission. That's weighted by kWh generated from all powerplants with various fuel sources.

That means by the time it gets to your outlet, it is 33% efficient. The waste heat at powerplant is not going into PiP cabin as it was lost already.

In the other hand, gasoline production and transportation is 85% efficient. The waste heat (part of 60%) from Atkinson cycle engine gets routed back into the cabin. The other 40% gets to drive the wheels.

Gas engine is playing the role of an engine, generator and heater in a small/light (relative) package. The best of all it is already onboard available to use.

markabele likes this.
  12. CharlesH

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Maybe things are going off on a wrong track due to semantics. Sorry if that is the case.

Why is it "waste" to use the heat from the ICE to heat the cabin? The ICE can propel the car and it can charge the battery. It can also just be used as a heat source, like burning oil or natural gas to heat one's home. My comments were about the tradeoffs between using electricity from the grid to heat the cabin vs. using the ICE to heat the cabin. I am not claiming that one or the other is "better" (by some definition of "better").

13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    umm.......
    How much electricity is lost in transmission and distribution in the United States? - FAQ - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

14. Michael33

Michael33 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  15. Michael33

Michael33 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The waste heat from the ICE is a great thing for heating the car on the highway, but running the ICE for heat alone, or for heat and driving if it isn't necessary, is wasteful. If the car can be driven locally on electric power alone, that is the cleanest way to drive - even if the power comes from a coal-fired power plant. So, once again, the purpose of 'heater in a box' is to be able to run errands locally, with some heat but without firing up the gasoline burner. This will never make sense to those who care mainly about operating costs and convenience, not emissions.

16. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

The 2/3 lost being referred to is a combination of the thermodynamic losses and the transmission losses. The thermo losses range from about 60-65% (old coal plants) to ~40% (best NG plants). Then you add in the transmission losses.
    These thermo losses apply to steam and NG plants, not wind, solar, hydro which have different metrics for efficiency, since the fuel itself is essentially free.

In the case of using PIP to heat the net efficiency is higher BECAUSE you are using the waste heat as well as powering the car.

Mike

17. CharlesH

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I would like to raise the question of exactly WHAT emissions does the ICE in the PiP dump into the atmosphere other than carbon dioxide and water? Its AT-PZEV rating implies no evaporative emissions at all and miniscule amounts of carbon monoxide, oxides of nitrogen and particulate matter.

18. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I'm going to guess you didn't notice - but my reply was too Seawolf ... who said that 2/3 of electricity transmission / production were lost ... so I hope your shorts aren't in a bunch from a reply directed to another's statement. Peace and love .

19. SLOW_RR

SLOW_RR Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That really, really all depends... On where you live, and the make up of where your electric comes from. In my case 70% of my years supply of electricity comes from the roof of my house. The other 30% is purchased on a 100% green plan. With that in mind I do know that the actual electrons may have flowed to my house from a not so nearby coal fired plant. The one down the road got mothballed a couple years back and is not likely to be brought back on line (Halleluia). NYS is now about 10% coal fired electricity.

Some of my electric is produced at Zotos International right here in Geneva from their 2 large wind turbines. My excess electricity flows to other homes in my neighborhood so that the loss in transmission is considerably less than 7%.

In my case I not only don't like burning fossilized dinosaur dung, I really don't like giving any of my $$$ to the likes of the Koch Brothers or other 1%ers. So I prefer using the EV part of the PiP as much as possible!

20. Michael33

Michael33 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I didn't see the post to which you replied. It's not exactly shorts weather up here, either.