1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electric Motor Details

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by jmlarence, Nov 14, 2012.

1. jmlarence

jmlarence New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    "i can say that personally, i'd look at the number of cylinders and displacement primarily to get an idea of the power of the engine and how much gas it will consume. that's all. i think most people won't even go that far, simply looking at the HP and EPA MPG numbers directly to make their decisions"

lensovet, thanks for posting this. Could not agree more.

Thinking of it this way: Six months ago I went to the GM dealership with a family member buying a Sierra. There are three combustion engine choices for that truck depending on what you need it to do (12mpg - ouch!). People buy trucks (for the most part) as a means to an end. It's a purpose-driven vehicle. So is the Prius - instead of payload/towing it's distance/consumption.

I think what Toyota has done here is the future. Maybe ten or twenty years from now we'll have eMotor system choices (and or programming) depending on the commute type. The DIY crowd makes electric motor choices during custom builds based on battery type, distances, and weight.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The stuff I bolded is irrelevant to me. It played no role in the purchase of my Prius and my previous 2 cars. I couldn't tell you off the top of my head the last two. I'd have to check the manual. Also, for those cars, there were no other choices available for # of cylinders and displacement. There was a whopping 1 engine available for each.

I can't see the air filter and oil filter a car/engine takes having much or even any influence on the car I buy/when cross-shopping.

Since the OP seems to care, I took a few pics of the PSD in 09. See Picasa Web Albums - cwerdna - Prius Connect....

3. jmlarence

jmlarence New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hey cwerdna, thanks for those photos. Yeah sure, I care. Just spent 32K +taxes on this car.

I'm not saying the details drive the decision, don't misunderstand me. I'm saying that if I want to know, I can.

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    MG1 for Gen2 (left) and Gen3:
    [​IMG]

MG2 for Gen2 (left) and Gen3:
    [​IMG]

Power Split Device for Gen2 (left) and Gen3 (includes MG2 speed reduction unit):
    [​IMG]

Entire hybrid transaxle Gen2 (left) and Gen3:
    [​IMG]

lensovet, Tracksyde, Phausto and 3 others like this.
  5. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Motors, like engines, can be tuned for different performance and efficiency tradeoffs so there is no single simple answer. The motor(s) used in the Prius Liftback and PiP seem to work very well. They are wound with wire (as shown in the photos posted earlier).

[​IMG]

The Volt motors (shown above) are also permanent magnet AC. The large primary motor is 111kW (149HP) and 273 lb -ft. (370 N·m) and the smaller is 55kW (74HP). The Volt motor is "bar wound" using rectangular wire which they claim makes for denser windings, lower resistance (thermal emissions), and easier cooling. Similar motors are sold by Remy which used to be a division of GM.

The hybrid transmission that contains the motors was originally built in Japan but I've seen labeling that suggests it is now built in Mexico and GM plans to begin making their motors at a plant in Baltimore that made their 2-mode transmissions.

Here are the slides from a GM presentation at an SAE meeting in 2010 comparing wire vs. bar wound motor design for hybrid and EV cars:

http://www.sae.org/events/pfl/presentations/2010/keynote-savagian.pdf

jmlarence likes this.
  6. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    USB, those are very cool photos. Just wondering, why the change in color from copper to white in the MG1?

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think white is the cover. Not sure why MG2 is not covered. Perhaps because MG1 reaches higher speed (max 10,000 rpm).

8. jmlarence

jmlarence New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Found a photo and description from Toyota Motor Corp global website filed under "Plug-In" and "Tech File"

[​IMG]

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This describes the improvements from Gen1 to Gen2. It has some details on the design of the electric motor.

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    jmlarence likes this.
  11. jmlarence

jmlarence New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thank you for that. Made my morning. Posted a few question in that thread. Amazing engineering.