1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electric motor noise when braking

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by white2011, Oct 4, 2011.

1. white2011

white2011 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    First time positing... Only 1,000 miles on our one month old 2011...

I hear a distinctive electric motor noise -- similar to the electric antenna noise in our 4Runner -- almost always immediately after applying the brakes (no matter whether hard or soft). The noise lasts maybe one or two seconds.

I've also heard it right after unlocking the car first thing in the morning, before I've even sat down in the seat much less started the car. It sounds like it could be an electric pump creating brake line pressure. Is there such a thing? Does hearing it so often indicate some kind of leak?

EDIT: In a subsequent post about 5 or 6 down I've attached an audio file you can download to hear the sound I'm talking about.

sri81 likes this.
  2. pfjmarina

pfjmarina Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not sure about the noise you hear when braking, but the pump noise you hear when you open the driver side door before getting in is indeed for pumping pressure into the brake lines. It's completely normal.

I doubt you're leaking any fluid, but maybe put a big piece of cardboard underneath the engine compartment for a few days to check.

Enjoy your new Prius! We've had ours about six months and absolutely love it:D

3. white2011

white2011 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I found this thread using google. I tried to include a link to it, but I got the following error:

So copy/paste this into your browser URL box:

priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-care-maintenance-troubleshooting/51547-noise-when-braking-even-when-engine-off.html

Anyway, apparently it's the "brake pressure accumulator pump."

I'll try to learn to ignore it, but it's hard because it sounds "unhealthy".

4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Have you heard of regenerative braking? That is when the electric motor reverses current flow to slow the car down and charge the hybrid battery. That is why you hear the electric motor noise. Perfectly normal and what you paid for with a hybrid vehicle. When on the HSI screen it is when the bar goes to the left in the Charge area.

You are correct on this one. It is the brake accumulator pump starting to build up pressure before you are ready to drive away. Smart car huh? Once again it is normal and what you paid for with the Prius. No extra charge for either :)

You really need to read your Owner's Manual and learn more about your new car. Also there are a lot of good articles on this website that will help.

5. Teakwood

Teakwood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What "jdcollins5" said.

6. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

7. white2011

white2011 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Okay, I've added a zipped Quicktime audio file (.m4a) to this post captured while stopped in Park and repeatedly pressing the brake pedal every few seconds.

To listen to it you need to download it, unzip it, and open it with Quicktime (standard on Mac, downloadable for free on Windows).

You can hear the distinctive noise several times, :03-:05, :10-:11, :15-:16, :17-:19 and :23-:25.

Does every one else's Prius make this sound when you press the brake repeatedly when stopped in Park?

Attached Files:

8. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have never felt the need to "press the brake repeatedly when stopped in Park". I will try it on my 2010 today.

Confirmed - on the second push I get that noise.

1 person likes this.
  9. white2011

white2011 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks! Now that I've brought your attention to it, I apologize in advance if you now find it difficult to ignore and are annoyed by it. Sorry!!!

10. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    normal operation.

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sounds normal to me. My 2nd gen makes a similar noise. I've confirmed noises that sound like this on 3rd gens I've test driven.

You should be able to repro this by pumping the brakes even w/the car's power off.

12. chucko

chucko Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I received a DVD as part of the owners manual pkg with my new 2011. If you received one, give it a view as it explains all of the different sounds that your Prius will make during normal operation.

13. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The sound is brake pressure pump noise. If you hit the brake pedal, you lower the pressure in the system and the car needs to increase it. Pretty standard noise - don't worry.

14. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My 2010 makes these pumping sounds every time I push the brake but my 2005 is completely silent. The 2005 brakes are also stronger.

15. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Lets try to visit a dealer - it is not a standard behaviour. May be the system needs some tuning.

16. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That is the brake pressure accumulator pump, which is used to provide pressure for the power brakes. The Prius can't use engine vacuum like ordinary cars, since the engine does not run continuously. An intermittent ratcheting sound while braking is normal. The Prius runs this pump when you open the driver's door on a Gen III, in anticipation of needing the brakes.

Tom

17. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The poster wrote about the pumping sound at every brake pedal hit. It is not standard, I suppose.

18. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The pump should run about every third time you brake. Obviously that isn't a hard number, since brake application varies by need, but the accumulator pump does not run every time you press the brakes.

Tom