1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electric Only Mode Option (Prius 2004-2009) available for 2012??

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by spongebob, Jun 6, 2012.

1. spongebob

spongebob Not paying 'THE MAN' so much for fuel anymore!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As a new owner of a 2012 Pri III, I was wondering and reading PC about extending the EV mode and stumbled on this in the accessory shop. I don't see it available for the Gen III though. Any guidance? If its not available, is there an or equal somewhere else?
    Thanks
    Sbob

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 2012 already has EV mode built in. It work similarly to the switch you purchase for the GenII.

3. spongebob

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear enough... this is what I mean....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Contact Us

[​IMG]

The new Toyota Prius is sold in many countries around the world with the option of letting the driver select times when they would prefer to operate the car without the engine running. The intention is to allow the driver to move the car out of the garage, or even out of the neighborhood, without the engine starting to awaken others. It is also a wonderful way to demonstrate the capabilities of the hybrid powertrain to passengers learning about the system for the first time. This factory option is currently not available for buyers in North America although the programming for it is still included in the computers which control the hybrid system. This kit allows you (in just a few minutes) to activate the electric feature of your Prius and drive for short distances. The software already present in the car will automatically restart the engine when the battery needs to be recharged or if you need to accelerate quickly. The electric only feature can be turned on and used up to a speed of around 34 mph at which time it will automatically turn off and the car will operate as usual.
    The electric mode kit is designed for ease of installation and includes the necessary pin and connectors to complete the installation. Color photos and step by step instructions explain how to insert the missing pin and clip on two wires using simple wire taps. No wires are cut and very little disassembly is necessary to activate this feature. Once installed, the kit will create two possible uses for the "Cancel" function of your cruise control stalk. If you pull the cruise control stalk toward you (as when using the "Cancel" feature) and hold it for more than two seconds, the electric only mode will be signaled and the factory software will shut down the engine (or prevent it from starting if you are just turning on the car). This method will also turn off the electric mode when desired. The normal operation of the "Cancel" feature when using the cruise control is unaffected by the addition of the circuit and will continue to function as usual.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The kit is $45.00+(S&H). It will take approximately 25 minutes to install and requires only a pair of needle nose pliers and a screwdriver.

Note: Currently this addition is only available for the 2004 - 2008 Prius models and not for the earlier 2000-2003 Prius.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know what you mean and my reply is still appropriate. I had the module you linked to in my GenII. IMO the EV mode function in the GenIII works even better so I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish here. The Module for the GenII is not going to allow you to run around in EV mode at unlimited mph or anything. It still has restrictions on when it can be used based on temperature and speed. :)

5. spongebob

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OK, thanks. But my experience so far is that my Pri only will travel only up to 15 mph on flats before the engine switches on, and that's if I'm very slow to accelerate, once I've been driving a bit. And, out of the garage, in the neighborhood, first thing in the morning, the engine will turn on almost immediately at about 5 mph. The warning of 'EV mode not available....' comes up. My understanding of this mod is that it'll take me EV up to 34 mph unless, etc, etc. Is that not correct? Thanks for your input.
    Sbob

6. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'd have said not.

The World market Prii are different in that they go a little faster in EV mode; 31 mph in IDEAL circumstances.

Believe the US models have an EV mode speed limit of 25 mph and slightly more stringent parameters for EV use, mainly due to emission control legislation (warm up of cat etc).

7. Obxmush

Obxmush Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you are running normally around 44 mph and take your foot out of it the ev mode will automatically turn on. I have driven in ev at those speeds

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With the engine coolant below 68F, you should get the 'EV mode not available' warning. Above that, the speed limit should be 9 mph up to some mid-warmup temperature, then 25 mph on a fully warmed engine.

This is for the U.S. market. Other markets are more generous.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the coastal mod on the gen II allowed me to drive in ev with a stone cold engine unless i pressed the accellerator too hard, went over a certain speed (34mph?) or the battery got too low. is this not how the gen III works from the factory?

10. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There's a big difference between the selectable 'EV Mode' and running on 'ev'. The car can allow you to proceed on a slight slope on 'ev' at 70+mph. But 'ev mode' will only allow use upto 31 mph here in Europe.

11. spongebob

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Exactly what I experience. Cold out of the garage, I get that exact warning.......so that's the reason! Thanks fuzzy1. When I come home, into the neighborhood, I then drive slowly, and with the car now up to temp, I can switch it into EV mode without any problem. Thanks everyone for all your input. I've read the manuals, but I guess, some things one just doesn't catch. :oops: Regards, Sbob

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It is not, at least for US-market GenIIIs. But the more generous performance of the non-US units is likely very similar to that.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's too bad, i'm so glad they decided to let the pip run engine free as long as there's juice in the battery!

14. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I use "ev" mode all the time, but I've never pushed that ev button. it's useless imho as you can engage ev mode any time you want at 44mph or less (if the system is warmed up enough and you have energy in the battery) by simply taking your foot gas for a sec. the ev light will go on and stay on as long as you keep the throttle below the half way marker in the HID

guicide likes this.
  15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Please don't confuse the 'EV Drive Mode' button and indicator (p. 199-201 in the 2012 Owner's Manual) with the Hybrid System Indicator's 'EV Indicator' (p. 225-227). They are not the same thing.

Note to 2010-2011 owners: the HSI EV Indicator is a new feature for MY2012. Your cars don't have it.