1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electric Plug on the back of my car.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by prius04, Sep 5, 2004.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    LOL

oh lordie lordie lordie... and some of us wonder how misconceptions gather so much steam!!

tsk tsk tsk...

2. prius04

prius04 New Member

Bob Allen

Under no circumstances do I want to suggest that people need to plug the Prius in. This is one of the myths that keep people from trying it.

I did this mainly for the chuckles, but if it might make some think that you can GET electricity from this, and that gets people talking, I'm OK with that.

Although I don't want to be deceptive, I do want people to think and maybe laugh.

And as for consumer versus source of electricity, the Prius is both. In fact, as more research gets done, we may just find that someday the Prius is a source MORE than it is a consumer.

Can you imagine what Florida would be like right now if there were thousands of hybrid vehicles down there that could serve as extremely clean generators? Lives could be saved.

3. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i thought about getting picture of a hamster in a squirrel cage, but thought that might give someone the wrong impression...

although i do think the socket thing is pretty funny

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Prius04: No matter how strong the suction cups, they depend on suction, and in the course of time air will enter the cups and the suction will disappear.

Bob: Yes, clearly Mark's idea was to suggest that the Prius could be a sourse of 110-v. power. "To plug power tools into." The opposite of the gag wind-up key on the old Beetles.

5. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    As in the announced Silverado hybrid.

I suppose you COULD put a small inverter in the back of your Prius and make the outlet live at 110V AC :) Probably don't want to demo anything pulling many amps though, we all know that 12V is pretty short on reserve capacity!

6. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well actually i would like something that runs directly off the generator since it already generates power in that range. it would require the ICE to be running, but it would be nice to have that option in case the need arises. portable generators are spendy items some costing more than the Prius.

7. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have thought about hanging a wire and plug off the back of my Prius, even came up with a 'REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT' flag to show the wire off... but think the antenna on the front is a better idea, as it serves a purpose..

8. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks for the acknowlegement. I found that the glue doesn't hold up well over a period of time. I removed the license plate and drilled a small hole through the base of the fake antenna into the top surface of the license plate holder and used a small screw to hold the antenna to the holder. It does look like some sort of electrical installation and might actually have some theft deterrent value if a potential thief thinks it might be some kind of wireless alarm. I'm thinking of making up a fake "silent radio alarm" decal to affix to the small triangular window on the driver's side ( I can't see out of it anyway so I wouldn't be obstructing my vision) to add to the illusion.
    Bob

9. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Bob, I think you hit on something...those little windows in front that you can't see out of... they are there for decals! :lol:

10. starla30

starla30 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That's a great idea! You should take a new picture of what it looks like now! And if you wanna make me one I wouldn't be averse... ;)

11. gbergman

gbergman Junior Member

12. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

My plug works to power my block heater, etc.

It is a Marinco Marine plug, used mostly for battery chargers.