1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electric Porsche: The end of a sad saga.

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by daniel, Oct 14, 2011.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Late comment, but yes - I went to great lengths to sue a creep investment company back in the south that ultimately became part of an FBI probe / off shore accounts, etc. Long story short - we got back $15K ... 40¢ on the dollar. That was all that was left of everyone's money. Counting up travel costs and hourly time ... I ended up earning about $5/hour by the time all was said and done. Yep, you made the right choice. Kiss it off.

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    UPDATE:

The Porsche has been sitting in Gordy's shop while he builds a new house & shop. Tim took it to an event where he hoped (unrealistically, IMO) to sell it. But now that I've had some time to cool off a bit, I'm considering having them replace the now-worthless, shot lithium battery pack with lead batteries.

The lithium pack was badly damaged when I got it from the original conversion shop. We considered the idea of trying to salvage the usable cells and build from them a pack with maybe a 30-mile range without sacrificing power. But I'm skeptical about this because I don't think these batteries can deliver enough current if we remove, say, 2/3 of the pack. Gordy thinks they could. Tim thinks not. I think not.

OTOH, originally I wanted 125 miles of range, so as to have 100 miles to 80% DoD (supposed to be okay with LiFePO4). But now that the Tesla is my daily driver and primary car, if I can get the car to 20 miles usable (safe for the batteries) range, and still have impressive power, I could drive it sometimes when I don't need to go farther. Lead batteries are a lot cheaper than lithium. This would be better than leaving it to rust.

So I'm pondering this idea, and Gordy is going to find out for me what such a pack would cost.

3. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is key. I doubt anybody need tell you, but I will anyway, that this car will never, ever be in the same league as the Tesla, neither in power nor range nor reliability. Also, I'm sure you've come across the concept of the sunk cost fallacy at some point. I am not sure you're risking embracing it, or whether with true objectivity a lead pack is the solution--maybe it in fact is.
    I think not, too!

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Daniel,
    I thought there were other, more immediate, issues with the Porsche than the battery pack. Have those been fixed already?
    While Pb batteries may make it go, are you really going to have anything more than a fancy looking Xebra/golf-cart?

I can't remember what your prior reluctance was, but have you reconsidered just giving this away to a local technical college (or even a not-so-local one). It would be a charitable donation to claim on taxes, would be a very cool starter machine for a group to work on and build. The local technical college here just had an article in the news paper for a vehicle they built and they had to sink quite a lot of money into it. I'm sure they would have loved to have had your vehicle to start from and it would have still been a good project and yet saved them a lot of money.

5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    +1
    Cut your losses and do someone some good. I have no idea what the schools are like there, but I am sure a club at the university of texas would love to work on your car. Its better if you give it to a school closer though:)

6. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yes, I understand the sunk cost fallacy, and I even agree with it. But on an emotional level it would just hurt too much to let it go.

While the Porsche will never compare with the Tesla, there is wide agreement that with its 11-inch Warp motor and the new 1,000-amp water-cooled controller it will have impressive power.

Even now, with the severely damaged pack and the motor needing balancing, it's got enough power that when I stomped on the pedal, Gordy let out a bit of a shriek. The car is no slouch. And it's MUCH MUCH more comfortable to sit in and easier to get in and out of than the Tesla, and it holds the road better in sharp, fast turns.

Everything is fixed except the motor still needs to be balanced (a minor matter, only waiting until Gordy finishes his new house and shop so he has time to take it out.)

Lead batteries have lower impedance than lithium, and so have the potential for more, not less, power. People who understand this stuff better than I do will have to do the math, and the Porsche will never have Tesla performance. But potentially it could have serious muscle-car performance, over a ten or twenty-mile range.

The Xebra was actually a lot slower with lithium than it had been with lead. But it gained considerable range with lithium.

7. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Interesting, because that's basically backwards from what I understand... Your typical AGM 100AH battery is good for 300-400A in short spurts - but then so is your typical EV geared lithium battery - most of these are good for 3C continuous. And the lithium battery typically has lower internal resistance so voltage won't sag as much. (See Peukert's law).

Would like to know of some specific examples.

Lithium batteries do require a lot more monitoring and care for maximum life compared to lead-acid, though.

8. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What I'm going by is what happened to the Xebra when I switched from lead to lithium. But these were among the very first lithium cells to come out of China. Stepping on the pedal, the voltage sagged WAY down with the lithium. It stayed pretty high with the AGMs.

Anyway, Gordy is going to talk to some battery experts in the EV field and see what they say.

9. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That might explain it. Recent lithium cells are much better.

10. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, it was a short-lived idea. Numerous people have said that my notion that lead batteries have the ability to deliver more current than lithium is mistaken. But I would not have known if I had not asked. We're back to trying to see if we can salvage enough of the damaged pack to get some good performance out of the car.

11. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is there enough of the car left that you could sell it to some local joe who may want to do something silly like put a V8 in it? I recall that it's a nice shell of a car; it's certainly got some value somewhere.

12. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The local Porsche club at one time expressed interest in restoring it to gasoline. Ain't gonna happen. I hate gasoline. For better or for worse, this car is electric now. Work is now going to begin on salvaging as much of the battery pack as we can. We'll see what happens from there.

13. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I thought you might say something like this :D

Good luck with the pack, I hope it works out!

14. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    ^ Thanks.

15. StockBlak11

StockBlak11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Daniel, you're quite a man. I just read all three threads, and while I'm sad for you, I'm glad you did this.

1. This particular idiot isn't going to be stealing from at least one prospective set of naive customers (those who've read these threads).
    2. You've taken one more gas ICE off of the roads.
    3. You're considering donating this mistake to an educational institution for physical maintenance. Who knows? Maybe they can correct some of the more egregious errors. (If I were a community college automotive teacher, I think I'd put the entire class to work on balancing that engine!). All I ask is that you choose the recipient well -- there are many publicly funded institutions who are deserving of such a gift, and many for-profits who are not.
    4. You are tons wiser: buy one instead of building one (I'm an IT guy who'll tell you that this is what smart shops worldwide are doing).
    I'm just sorry you had to get fleeced so badly. I feel for you. In my heart of hearts, I'm just the same kind of person you are, particularly with respect to being on the bleeding edge. I hope your family forgives you, and I wish that legal revenge were at least a break-even affair.

1 person likes this.
  16. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks, StockBlak.

Note that when I began this project, in 2008, there was not a freeway-capable EV with a 100-mile range that you could buy new. That's the only reason I tried this.

Rebalancing the motor is a simple matter, but will be done by a professional shop with the machinery to do it right.

I have no immediate family to be concerned one way or another.

The legal system is broken. Whether you look at the civil or the criminal courts, outcomes have nothing whatsoever to do with either truth or justice. They're a game that two lawyers, or groups of lawyers, play against each other, where the rules are court procedure, and where the winner is the side that plays better, not the side whose client is in the right.

In any case, I thank you for your good words.

17. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

I think you might not be as disappointed if you got the right PbA battery. The CSB EVX batteries are excellent batteries from everything I've researched. I think CSB has another line of high performance batteries also capable of delivering extremely high current.

It is not the current cutting-edge miracle battery that everybody wants, but the question is what does the car need.

I see it as making the best of the situation. Why have a $15,000 battery in a car that you, at least at this time, only need to go 25 miles? Or even 40 miles? You like the car, you'd drive the car, and yes, eventually you'd replace the PbA batteries, but still, as the key, you'd have driven the car.

18. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Right now we're going to see what Tim can salvage from the existing pack. Then we'll move on from there.

19. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The end is nigh:

It's been about a year since the last post in this thread. What's happened since then:

Tim Foster, who helped out Gordy with the electrical work on the Porsche, set about testing the batteries, to see if we could salvage enough of them to make a still-useful pack, though with reduced range. With the Tesla in my garage, I no longer needed the Porsche to have a 100-mile range, or even the 60-mile range the original pack would have had if it had not been damaged. He removed the batteries and tested them, and concluded that they were toast. The car would drive 10 or 15 miles, but the batteries were dying. I put everything on hold for a long time while I pondered where to go, from springing for a new pack, to donating the car. Eventually, I decided to have the car appraised. In order to take a tax deduction on a donated car, it must be appraised, since otherwise you could buy a $50 car, donate it, and claim a $5,000 deduction on your taxes. The appraiser wanted two things: A list of everything in the car and its cost, which Gordy provided for me, and current, high-resolution pictures. So I asked Tim to put the batteries back in, even not working, just to make the car suitable for pictures.

Tim promised to have the car ready a couple of weeks later, but then he had some family problems, and asked f0r an extension, which I gave him. Then he asked for another extension. Then another. And another. I kind of blew up at him and demanded my car back, finished or not. I had paid him for all the work he had done* and the work of replacing the batteries.

(* He claimed to have done much more work, but said he was only charging me for part of his work. He also was charging an hourly "shop rate" comparable to what a professional shop would charge, even though he was one person working out of his garage. So I figured it balanced out, and paid him what he asked.)

He begged for more time, and asked me to visit him, which I did, whereupon I saw the car, almost completely torn apart, and utterly filthy, including several scratches on the body, though it had been immaculate when he got the car to work on the batteries. He must have stored it outdoors in someone's yard. If he had told me that he didn't have a place to store it I'd have made suitable arrangements, but I had supposed it was back at Gordy's. Tim promised he'd be done the next day, though it looked to me like two weeks of work to put it back together. Tim, it turns out, had taken it on himself, not to just replace the batteries as requested, but to re-design the electrical system. Throughout this project, Tim has done work I never authorized, thinking to make it better. He seems to see this car as his ticket to EV conversion fame: Make it into the best EV ever so people will come to him for similar jobs.

I went away for a trip, and came back two weeks later, and asked Tim about his progress re-assembling the car.

He replied, very upset, that I should not be so impatient; that he had had to put the Porsche aside in favor of another project that was a prior commitment (though he had never mentioned this when I first asked him to replace the batteries.)

The car was basically trashed. But then, it was trash when Paul first sent it to me, and trying to reclaim it from then on has been a fool's errand. So I made my decision:

Nobody is going to want to spend the money to put a pack in this car. Nobody. No school, no funder. There is no market for backyard conversions now that several OEM EVs are available, and no grant money in this economy. Tim put the final nail in the coffin (for which I am grateful to him) and made up my mind. I had Gordy haul it (non-functioning) back to his place to part it out, and today I went to Gordy's and symbolically began the dis-assembly by removing the bolt holding the wires to the speed controller. Gordy will part it out, sell the parts for whatever they bring, and sell the glider for whatever it will bring. The scratches will greatly diminish its value, but it's still nice looking on the outside, and the glider is in good condition.

I'm done with it and happy to be done with it. It was a mistake from the beginning, but you live and learn.

FWIW, I think Tim is delusional. He thinks that for $50,000 he could make the Porsche into a Tesla killer. He had a harebrained scheme to get a professional grant-writer to get money for a local high school to fund the job, and to try to convince me to donate the car to them, and then the school, with the grant money, would buy the batteries and parts from Tim (conflict of interest, and unethical) and then Tim would fix the car, allowing the high-school kids to "help" as justification for getting the school to sponsor the project, which would then establish Tim as the nation's premier EV converter, allowing him to set up a business converting classic cars to electric, which he claims he can do cheaper than the big car companies. I'm not mad at Tim. The car was trash when he got it. He just let me see that.

Requiescat in pace, Porsche. This chapter of my life is closed. It was the third worst mistake I've ever made in my life (no, I'm not going to discuss the other two) and with the decision to part out the car, it is now officially behind me.

hyo silver and JMD like this.
  20. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It is best to move on. Experience builds character