1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electric Porsche!

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by daniel, May 14, 2009.

1. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    My dream car is a Porsche Cayman S hybrid. I wonder if I could get one.
    It would get the mpg of a GenII Prius 95% of the time, but have a good 300HP for when I want/need* it.

*example of need: late for a job interview

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Why a hybrid? A pure EV can be built with tremendous power and still get the fuel economy of a small EV. The Tesla roadster costs the same to drive per mile as my Xebra. And the Aptera, with its focus on efficiency, costs even less per mile.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    easy answer.... they want the guaranteed (at least for now) 400 mile range and the ability to refill in 5 minutes for those 3=5 trips a year they might need it for

4. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    nice a converted porsche

5. sendconroymail

sendconroymail One Mean SOB

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  6. sendconroymail

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Good point. Not all attorneys are bad: 99.9% of them give the other 0.1% a bad name.

:p

;)

:D

Sorry. You guys are such an easy target that it's hard to resist.

Tom

8. sendconroymail

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  9. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You have not read my earlier posts. I bought the car from a car dealer, and had it delivered to Paul to convert. He did not sell me the car. He only converted it for me.

I drove the car for a couple of months. It took him 11 months to do the conversion, which is one of the things I'm angry about, but he never actually made a contractual agreement to finish it in a specified time. He told me it's never taken him longer than 4 months, but didn't actually make any promises.

No, he did not advertise in my state. I researched EV conversions, found him, and decided that a Porsche was what I wanted, and decided he was the best person to do the conversion. I was very sadly mistaken in my assessment. But I went to him. He didn't advertise here.

He arranged for the car to be delivered by a trucking company, at my request. He didn't deliver it.

Ralph Nader did a lot to make cars safer. That says nothing about attorneys in general. I know a few individual attorneys who have made a career out of helping people. But by and large, they are an unscrupulous profession.

Further, as I've said, there is work that remains to be done on the car, and until that is done, legal action would be premature.

Listen, I appreciate your concern. But please familiarize yourself with the entire thread before making assumptions about the events. And note that I've had experience with our legal system, and it is broken. To expect "justice" from the law is just plain foolish.

10. sendconroymail

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  11. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Exactly, and in an ideal world we wouldn't need either of them. Sadly, the world will never be ideal.

I think part of the image problem for attorneys is that they can create work by abusing the system; something that never sits well with the people being exploited. The few that do abuse the system make it hard for the rest.

Tom

12. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks.

No. Not everyone calls the cops or the lawyers. But I do seem to get accused both of calling the cops (which I never have) and of calling the lawyers (which I never have) and also of being too stubborn to call the cops or the lawyers. Sheesh!

My dealings with lawyers have been against my will. Most recently, after being arrested for non-violent civil disobedience (protesting nuclear weapons) when the authorities started harassing and threatening some folks who had observed (legally!) my protest, I phoned the prosecutor and offered to plead guilty if he would stop harassing and threatening my friends. He agreed, but only on condition that I bring a lawyer to the bargaining. There was no bargaining. My offer was simple: promise to leave my friends alone and I would plead guilty. (Which is what happened.) But the lawyer I hired (and paid $500 for 45 minutes work!) was a real sleazebag and actually treated me worse than the prosecutor did!

I suppose the time could come when I need a lawyer. But he sure won't be "the first person I call"!!!

My father once had his car stereo stolen. Unlike me, he was a law-abiding citizen, and although he was not all that concerned about the radio, he felt it was his duty as a citizen to report the crime. He never got the stereo back, but the time he had to spend with the police over the incident, cost him far more than the value of the stolen stereo. In retrospect, he regretted having ever gone to the cops.

The laws are written by lawyers, and they are written in such a manner that nobody but a lawyer can understand them, which forces people to hire lawyers at exorbitant rates. In court, a lawyer will fight tooth and nail to get a client he knows to be guilty acquitted, if that client is paying the going (astronomical) rate, on the excuse that "everyone has the right to be defended," but will make only a half-hearted attempt for a client he knows to be innocent if that client is indigent and was appointed to him by the state, which pays less generously. In civil court, the vultures... oh, I mean lawyers, on both sides will bleed their respective clients dry and if there is an award, they'll suck up so much of it that neither of the clients walks away with anything.

There are definitely exceptions to the above. But finding a good lawyer is harder than finding a good chiropractor. Bunny help you if you need a lawyer and don't have inside information on who are the decent ones, or you are not as rich as Paris Hilton.

13. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Awesome !!!
    I've been wanting a parallel PHEV Carrera (or Cayman), but seeing that your car can do 0-60 in ~6-8 seconds, I'm thinking now that a series PHEV Carrera could work just fine for me. I'm looking forward to hearing more feedback about your car. What is the range during average driving (driving with the flow; not any faster nor any slower, but with the flow of traffic) ?
    Thanks! Your car is awesome!

14. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Rybold: Read the whole thread! Or at least, all my posts. Electric cars can be built to pretty much whatever specs you like, but mine was done very badly. All your questions are answered earlier in this thread. Six to eight seconds was what I was promised, not what I got!

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Last time I heard ... 'amount in controversary' has to exceed what ... something like $75K to talk to the fed's ?? I don't know if Daniel spent that kind of dough ... but even if he did? Good luck with that. Um, 'law suit' gets thrown around a lot, but just try & find a moulthpiece dumb enough to take on an issue with a piddely return. Aint gona happen. Then there's always the 'ace in the hole' for little companies making EV conversions ... bko. Better to go w/ plan 'A' ... ask for $$ back.

16. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    As I've said before, and is clear to anyone who has read the thread, I did not buy the car from Paul, so asking for my money back is not an option.

17. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hmmm. I wonder if a 2010 Prius HSD would fit into a Carrera. I'm sure it probably would. Hmmm. I can buy a pre-owned Carrera, buy a 2010 HSD from a parts supplier from a wrecked Prius, and then I can hire a PHEV conversion company. I just might do that if I can line everything up. :)

18. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Interesting project. Maybe if you had the back seat of the Carrera removed the components would fit. There is very little space in the engine compartment of the Porsche. But it would be an extremely expensive car that would perform like the Prius but with essentially no carrying capacity.

If I had it to do over again, I would not have chosen such an expensive donor car. I'd sell the Porsche right now, as is, for 85% of what I've put into it, and I'd start over with a 5-year-old Civic or Corolla. Maybe I won't feel that way once the new controller is in it and it can burn rubber. But right now I regret my decision.

19. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    you got the money to do that?:eek:
    do you need a project manager ?:p:D

20. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I just looked at Yahoo Autos used car section, and there are dozens of high mileage 911s for $24,900 (and that's the asking price, not what we will negotiate to). I could care less about high mileage and someone who forgot to change the oil ... because I'm removing the engine and transmission. I have not yet priced 2010 Prius powertrains though, although I know that companies like Pick Your Part (junk yard) will eventually have them (it's possible that the Prius is so new and so fer are on the street so far that none have been "totaled" but the engine survived). Before I bought my Corolla and I used to have a 1980s Chevy Pickup (which was my first vehicle and I kept for about ten years), I used to get parts from Pick Your Part all the time. They had everything for cars that have been on the road for at least a few years. Of course, today I can probably search junk yard inventories on the internet and narrow my search down a lot more quickly. I could afford $30K to get started but beyond that I'm not sure how much PHEV conversion kits start. If I could find a kit that is designed for the Prius and the circuitry is specific to the Prius, I could actually install it myself. If I do decide to go through with this, I will consult all of you, and you could be my project manager in exchange for driving priveleges. But for now, I want to at least wait until 2010 because I want to see what the manufacturers are going to come up with on their own (plus it will provide more time for Prius parts to end up in junk yards ... and for Carrera prices to come down even further).