1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electric Porsche!

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by daniel, May 14, 2009.

1. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I do, but I'd much rather leave it in my retirement fund, earning interest, than piss it away on a frill. I'd much rather walk than invest in a +$70 G toy

3. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There's two ways to look at it.
    How many miles do you have on your car right now? How many miles did you have on your last car before you traded it in? How many miles do you drive per year?
    I have 119,500 miles on my 2004 Corolla right now (I bought it new). If I converted my current Corolla to EV, and I could save $3.00 per gallon (the going price here in CA right now) for the next five years, I would save (119,500/35mpg)=3414gal. _ 3414gal*$3.00= $10,242. Since you mentioned something about retirement, lets quadruple those five years to twenty years and say $40,971. Now, I will admit that with my previous job, I had a long commute to work (which is why I have such high mileage) and my commute now is about 7 non-freeway minutes per day, each way. I suppose it depends on how much you drive and how good of a deal you can get on an EV conversion.

Keep in mind that gasoline will likely be much more than $3.00/gallon in the future.
    And consider that if you quadruple the 120K miles to get 480K miles, a gasoline car would bite the dust or need a new engine. That's even more $. With an EV, that would likely not be a need. Even if it did, a motor costs a lot less than an engine. And ten years from now, the prices will likely have declined a lot, and there will likely be third-party motors for sale.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    oh gas will go up. the "new" world peak oil is now supposed to be 2020. but as usual, OPEC is not cooperating so we really dont have any data on their output, so who knows?

5. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It could be part of their plan to destroy America. They keep silent on the remaining oil, and then we wake up one morning and there's no more oil. :eek:

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If OPEC makes good on their continuing threat to go off US Dollar pricing, trust me on this: very few drivers would be able to afford gas the next day

7. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You know, everyone is all about gearing up here and ending our dependency on foreign oil. And what happens when we run out? Why not use up theirs first and keep our own in reserve? I believe that is what the current approach is doing - as long as world sources are reasonable, we can use up their oil and keep ours for when we really need it. Of course, the rational approach is to wean us off oil altogether, but with Big Oil controlling Congress and the car companies not wanting to put a penny into research (prefering to give it to themselves as huge CEO salaries) we certainly won't see any of that happening. I imagine if foreign sources suddenly went away we could gear up with little more disruption that the 1974 shortages (and I lived through them as a driver).

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Our domestic reserves will keep us going for about five eyeblinks. If we wait for the Arabs to run out of oil before we switch to sustainable, renewable energy, we are screwed. The time to switch is before they run out. Or decide to stop selling to us. Or, as Jayman says, before they start denominating their oil in euros instead of dollars.

A lot of countries have massive dollar reserves just so they can pay for oil. If the Arabs drop the dollar and start selling oil for euros, it will hit our economy hard, as all those dollars flow back into circulation and the value of the dollar suddenly drops several pegs.

:focus:

As for my Porsche, the motor fan arrived, and I'm hoping the controller will get here in a week or two. It's a water-cooled controller designed with the NetGain motors in mind. If all goes well (a big IF) the car could be in better shape than ever before winter.

9. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Got any pics of the new motor fan? I love pics - really helps to visualize what's going on.

10. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Perhaps the U.S. should buy as much foreign oil as possible and fill up all empty oil wells in the United States, and build additional, massive storage tanks in underground caves. Buy, buy, buy until the rest of the world and the Middle East is dry ... then sell it back to them at $1000 per barrel. :D

11. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    oh ya, that would do it. buy oil with money we dont have, while paying 20-30% interest YEARLY on the purchase price and hope our economy does not collapse in the mean time from all the money sequestered underground doing very little. besides, our consumption is simply too high to even attempt anything like that.

before we could stockpile it, the price would be in the stratosphere.

12. sendconroymail

sendconroymail One Mean SOB

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  13. sendconroymail

sendconroymail One Mean SOB

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius