1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electric power chair and Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by bwilson4web, Aug 28, 2012.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus

My wife's health took a hit and she is in physical rehab facility (thanks Medicare!) We knew this would eventually happen so she insisted we buy an electric wheel chair many years ago:
    [​IMG]
    But this used chair had problems: (1) low quality charger, and (2) two dead batteries.

My first task was to rebuild the power base:
    [​IMG]
    A pair of Odyssey PC1200 batteries, 42Ahr, replaced the dead, 36Ahr batteries. But to preserve battery life, I got a smart, dual battery charger, Duo Pro, SS2, and installed Molex connectors. Still, this is an impressively heavy unit.

Now I needed to get the chair to my wife's rehab facility for fitting and training:
    [​IMG]
    The aluminum ramps, Harbor Freight, each have a chain that loops through a cargo secure ring so they won't slip off the car. Removing the seat, the power head can drive up the ramps and into the car.

Now I need a small, starter pre-ramp because the angle can lift the power wheels off but it was easy enough to push up where they regained traction and up the ramp. Also, the ramps are about a foot too long to fit behind the seats. I'll rework them to hinge and store in the back with the power base and chair.

So this is what it looks like in the car:
    [​IMG]
    You can see the ramp, safety chain that connect to the front cargo anchor point. I rotated the power base 90 degrees and fit the ramps on each side. Unfortunately, the ramps extend about 6" on either side of the driver and passenger seat. The chair seat with the back tilted fits on top of the power base.

Bob Wilson

ps. Medicare covers 100% of the rehab for the first 20 days. Then it steps down to 80% for the next 80 days or $150/day. This is roughly $2,100 out of each paycheck . . . it could be worse.

LulzChicken likes this.
  2. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Impressive piece of work, Bob. I'm very sorry to hear of your wife's medical condition, but glad to know you are finding ways for the two of you to see this through together.

How will you shorten (hinge) the ramps without compromising strength? What is the overall weight added during this transport?

3. Braddles.au

Braddles.au DEFAnitely using an EBH

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's great work.
    It's a shame that the Toyota Welcab range is not available outside of Japan. The type B features a crane to help lift a wheelchair into the hatch. I'm not sure the lifting capacity or if it could lift an electric base or if it could be retrofitted. I considered importing a FunCarGo to Australia, a small van that could swallow a wheelchair thanks to a built-in ramp and rear suspension that could squat. http://toyota.jp/welcab/carlineup/carname/index.html
    Welcab have an Estima (aka Tarago, Previa) with an electric wheelchair that doubles as the driver's seat. Whenever I'm in Japan I like to drop into a Welcab showroom and see what they've come up with.
    Top Tip: To navigate the Welcab site, look at the URL as you hover the hyperlinks. The URLs are in English, so you make a reasonable guess where they lead.

4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    First I'll survey the available ramps. Rather than engineering a solution, I'll see if one is already 'off the shelf.' But let's assume my search is unsuccessful.

What I'll do is measure how much I need to cut off to make the ramps fit. Then I'll turn them over to see if there are any natural 'cut' locations that might make them a little shorter.

I will then put them in the assembled position and measure the vertical under the "cut" marks. This will be one end of the pre-ramps. I'll then extend the base of the pre-ramp long enough that the wheel base of the power unit will fully fit.

Initially, I'll fabricate two 1/2" thick, plywood squares to be the base and two triangles for the pre-ramp supports. Then using thin plywood, I'll fabricate the pre-ramp frames, one for each side. I'll make sure the ramps at the cut marks will rest on the tall end of the pre-ramps. Cut and then re-enforce the end with square aluminum tube, the new end, using stainless steel hardware. I will make sure there is no possibility of a collapse to either side.

I'll then put the shortened ramps on the Prius; position the pre-ramps, and; make sure there is a mechanical linkage so the pre-ramp won't separate from the shortened ramp. The last step is to drive the power base up and down the modified ramp. With the base in the Prius, the two side ramps will fit on either side and the pre-ramps should fit, possibly between the two shortened ramps in the middle behind the front seats. If not, the rear seat back will be removed making more room and if worse comes to worse, the rear set bottom.

We're making a Prius people carrier for Holly, Bob, and the power chair.

The spec weight of the chair is 200 lbs but I've added an addition 35 lbs from the larger, PC1200 batteries. The aluminum ramp weights less than 40 lbs each and the pre-ramp should be in the 30 lb range, each. All-up, ~350 lbs.

Bob Wilson

a priori likes this.
  5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I remember seeing a photo of it years ago and had at one time briefly considered a homebrew version. The biggest problem was the absence of a good mechanical base for the crane part without sacrificing the spare tire area. Harbor Freight/Northern Tools has one or two designed for the bed of a pickup. Installation with the hatch up is easy . . . then you try to close it . . . <kaboom!>
    [​IMG]
    On this side of the pond, the Ford Transit has an attractive mod that cuts a slot in the rear bumper so there is a ramp all of the way inside. Until I got the power base into the car, I had located a couple via Ebay about 150 miles (~240 km) away. I had even gotten approval for a $26,000 loan to buy one:
    [​IMG]
    A clever approach, our Prius has a traction battery that spans the area over the rear axle.

I have tried to come up with a scissors-jack platform but the problem is how to store and carry it in the car with with base. Another thought was an articulating arm but it shares the same problem as the scissors-jack although potentially a smaller package. Then there is the problem of an energy source to raise the ~200 lb (440 kg) base. The ramp uses the power from the base. It remains an interesting engineering problem.

Bob Wilson

6. Braddles.au

Braddles.au DEFAnitely using an EBH

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The FunCarGo was similar to the Ford Transit in format but much smaller, about the size of a VW Caddy. The Toyota Ractis seems to be its replacement. My step-father converted a VW Transporter to carry my mother's wheelchair. Yes, it took a large van capable of seating 8 to carry two people. I sought a smaller conversion of a Citroën Berlingo but it took the price from $15,000 to $51,000. I know that a single engineer can't compete with a car company on economies of scale, but $51,000?!?
    The beauty of the Welcab range is that they are factory fitted so there's no unsightly welds or ill-fitted carpet and everything is engineered, guaranteed and insured. Also the sale price is free of 5% consumption tax and registration is discounted for being a "specially-fitted vehicles". The prices are not hugely different from the standard car. (Though the Hybrid Estima with Toyota electric wheelchair does add to the price somewhat.)

bwilson4web likes this.
  7. Southern Dad

Southern Dad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What about a hitch box with a platform on the back of the car? We have a place in Conyers, GA that rebuilds and sell handicapped equipped vehicles. I've seen many small cars with the platform on the back.

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus

The weight to the chair is the same as the weight limit of the Curt hitch. There are lighter scooters and one of them might work on a rear platform. But having the chair inside also means we don't have a drag problem when going down the highway and don't really have to worry about the weather. Like many things in life, there are tradeoffs.

Bob Wilson

9. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have a serious suggestion.

I too use a scooter. But the one I am using is much less massive than the pictures of the one you are working with. It weighs only 30 lbs with the battery, goes all around Disney World all day on a single charge, and best of all goes into the back of our Prius hatchback. It's made for traveling. It goes into the hatchback fully engaged or if you need the room for luggage, the scooter I use also folds up. 10 inches by 12 inches by 33 inches (approx). Go to the following site for pictures and vastly more information.

Best Mobility Scooters - The TravelScoot is the lightest and best mobility scooter or electric wheelchair in the world! It folds and unfolds as quick and easy as an umbrella, runs on Lithium Ion (Li-Ion) batteries and has legions of devoted customers and testimonials making it the transportation revolution you have been waiting for.

Hopefully, she can use this and take advantage of the extra mobility.

Cheers

bwilson4web likes this.
  10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I had briefly considered going with LiON batteries instead of the replacement lead-acid. Although this would have saved a lot of weight, the base was already one heavy assembly, cast assembly with two, massive, DC motors. The weight means a low, center of gravity reducing tipping risks and the side handles keeps her in the seat.

I like the TravelScoot but it needs to match the characteristics of the rider. In my wife's case, I don't think her understanding of physics and motor skills are a good match. Trikes can be tricky and if it had two front wheels, I believe the tipping risks would be greatly reduced.

The heavier, motorized chair we have can turn on its vertical axis which is great in the confined spaces of our house. The TravelScoot would be a better solution for outside travel for people who still have the agility to deal with the dynamic risks. Still, I hadn't seen it before and I thank you for sharing.

Bob Wilson

11. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Bob

I forgot to mention that the Travelscoot folks have a program in place to see a Travelscoot in person. Just call them and they will put you in touch with someone local who already owns one. That way you might be able to make a more informed decision. People have already signed up to share their scoot with others, like I did. What do they get out of it? Travelscoot provides a very small cash reward (I forget how much.... maybe 5 or 10 bucks) to those who show their scooter.

I find the Travelscoot pretty grounded and unless someone really goes off the deep end you simply can't tip it. I do understand your concern, however.

If interested their number is:

800-342-2214
    or
    360-670-6616

p.s. I agree the Travelscoot is best as a scooter used for traveling because of it's size and weight. I don't use it in my home.